BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Got a link to that. I'm sure the other club involved would have let it be known. And so would the local journo and the EFL. 

I believe an earlier poster mentioned DJ Campbell and another. He said the admission came from a current member of staff who was presumably not impressed with how things were handled. 

Edited by roversinmyblood

See if we knew we were going for these players why didn’t we have paperwork ready in case they dropped on deadline day, mistakes will be made if we are rushing and under stress but if given plenty of time to be thorough then these don’t happen. Then when we get him through the door it’s just a case of sign here here and here, TiVo a few boxes, submit. We surely knew who o briens agent is so that could already have been filled in 

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

To quote the great Diaz after he choked out McGregor: "I'm not surprised, mofos".

If you've been paying any sort of attention you can see that it's a horribly run club - I've come to expect this level of incompetence... but then I've always been more perceptive than most.

Clearly more modest than most, too…

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

That interview of JDT on the Rovers website is interesting. He’s obviously pissed off but he goes a bit further for me…he completely (and rightly so) ‘outs’ the other side (GB’s side) of the club. Which is risky.

But the most salient point for me is the one he makes about ‘his side’ overachieving. It feels like, for the first time, he’s peacocking which is what you do when you’re looking around for other options?

Ive said before, it’s my belief that JDT will go LONNGG before he’s pushed. He’s a born winner, incompetence like this does not exist in his world!

I would not be surprised at all if he resigned.

He has said that we are overachieving loads of times. The club clearly is keen to downplay expectations.

It may in a strange way be good for Tomasson that the transfer window was such a disaster. Our level of performances for the last couple of months in particular has been very poor, yet that is forgotten about now. Any drop in the neat future will not be blamed on him and it feeds into the narrative of him overachieving. Even talk by some of him having enough and leaving.

My belief is:

Someone, be that Waggott, Pasha or someone at ownership level, made a decision that we needed to go down the DofF route. I suspect one of the reasons for this was that they felt Mowbray had too much power and influence and that they needed a more 'sustainable' model for when he cleared off.

I completely agree with that idea, a club in our position in the 21st century, particularly one with foreign absentee owners, needs someone running the show in terms of recruitment and football other than the manager, otherwise the manager becomes indispensable. 

So no problem with DofF structure, and he we clearly handed authority to lead recruitment and appointments on that side of things. 

My expectation is that despite handing some authority to this new structure and letting them get on with it in a much more sensible way than flying them out to India in the summer, the owners continue to retain final decision making power, particularly on decisions and deals of a particular level. 

So Broughton identifies what we need, works hard to get it lined up, things start to move, but then when it comes down to the crunch and final approval is needed from India or the shadow man it doesn't arrive. Nothing more can be done.

The last 12 years is littered with examples and rumours of occasions when we've been 'in' for a player, or indeed another club has been 'in' for one of our players, but things just don't get done, because Indian approval cannot be secured.

People convincing themselves that Venkys, in some heroic attempt to lead us to promotion, gambled and rejected offers for Rothwell and Diaz, in doing so costing them millions but giving us a better chance of promotion, I think are on the wrong lines. Whilst they didn't accept offers for them, this wasn't because they were sticking up for us and giving us a better chance, it was because nobody could get them to agree in good enough time for such deals to go through.

The Rothwell saga last January was O'Brien this January in reverse - approval not acquired = deal doesn't happen.

Broughton takes the flak for it because he's the one with the job title, he's the one who lined the deal up, he's the one who has to pick up the pieces. All it means is he will look elsewhere for work, as will JDT. Both have come into this Club seeing what we have and liking it, thinking there's an opportunity here for success. I think most 'outsiders' would do the same - great traditional club, huge losses funded every year, good academy, great facilities, reaching distance of the PL. 

Then when you get inside the building and see how life at Venky Rovers really works this happens. With Kean, Bowyer and Mowbray they found people who would put up with such rubbish because they occupied positions they wouldn't have had elsewhere and wouldn't get again if they left. 

With JDT and Broughton I think they will have other irons in the fire and won't be here much longer. 

Then we get to see which desperate loser comes next.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

My belief is:

Someone, be that Waggott, Pasha or someone at ownership level, made a decision that we needed to go down the DofF route. I suspect one of the reasons for this was that they felt Mowbray had too much power and influence and that they needed a more 'sustainable' model for when he cleared off.

I completely agree with that idea, a club in our position in the 21st century, particularly one with foreign absentee owners, needs someone running the show in terms of recruitment and football other than the manager, otherwise the manager becomes indispensable. 

So no problem with DofF structure, and he we clearly handed authority to lead recruitment and appointments on that side of things. 

My expectation is that despite handing some authority to this new structure and letting them get on with it in a much more sensible way than flying them out to India in the summer, the owners continue to retain final decision making power, particularly on decisions and deals of a particular level. 

So Broughton identifies what we need, works hard to get it lined up, things start to move, but then when it comes down to the crunch and final approval is needed from India or the shadow man it doesn't arrive. Nothing more can be done.

The last 12 years is littered with examples and rumours of occasions when we've been 'in' for a player, or indeed another club has been 'in' for one of our players, but things just don't get done, because Indian approval cannot be secured.

People convincing themselves that Venkys, in some heroic attempt to lead us to promotion, gambled and rejected offers for Rothwell and Diaz, in doing so costing them millions but giving us a better chance of promotion, I think are on the wrong lines. Whilst they didn't accept offers for them, this wasn't because they were sticking up for us and giving us a better chance, it was because nobody could get them to agree in good enough time for such deals to go through.

The Rothwell saga last January was O'Brien this January in reverse - approval not acquired = deal doesn't happen.

Broughton takes the flak for it because he's the one with the job title, he's the one who lined the deal up, he's the one who has to pick up the pieces. All it means is he will look elsewhere for work, as will JDT. Both have come into this Club seeing what we have and liking it, thinking there's an opportunity here for success. I think most 'outsiders' would do the same - great traditional club, huge losses funded every year, good academy, great facilities, reaching distance of the PL. 

Then when you get inside the building and see how life at Venky Rovers really works this happens. With Kean, Bowyer and Mowbray they found people who would put up with such rubbish because they occupied positions they wouldn't have had elsewhere and wouldn't get again if they left. 

With JDT and Broughton I think they will have other irons in the fire and won't be here much longer. 

Then we get to see which desperate loser comes next.

Much as I despise these owners and see where you are coming from I think the reason for the collapse of the transfers lies with the ineptitude of the officials in England and not directly with the slow decision making process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversinmyblood said:

I believe an earlier poster mentioned DJ Campbell and another. He said the admission came from a current member of staff who was presumably not impressed with how things were handled. 

The fact that we actually wanted to sign DJ Campbell , should have meant instant dismissal for someone.Complete waster !

11 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Much as I despise these owners and see where you are coming from I think the reason for the collapse of the transfers lies with the ineptitude of the officials in England and not directly with the slow decision making process.

I'd say there is a combination of both.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

The fact that we actually wanted to sign DJ Campbell , should have meant instant dismissal for someone.Complete waster !

I’ve just checked his career stats and noticed we did sign him for a full season and a half. Bloody hell. That one has slipped my mind completely.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Tbf he had just scored 10 goals in 17 matches for Ipswich in the Championship in the first half of that season. When we loaned him, anyway, then he scored 0 in 7 for us and broke his foot, and we still decided to sign him fully.

Edited by bluebruce