BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The overriding factor in all this for me was that Travis wanted to move. He knew he couldn't displace Tronstadt and wants to play. I understand that and don't blame him at all but equally I don't blame Tomasson. It suits both parties. Good luck to him, I hope he gets a medal if Ipswich get promoted but first he has to get in the team ahead of Morsy of Luongo.

Which he has already stated in his Ipswich interviews

It will be interesting to see if he can.

3 hours ago, rigger said:

Forget the wartime retoric, I would fancy playing football matches with the best available players. JDT must think Travis is not one of those.

Aye and hes lost how many out of how many ?

Sometimes it's about the system not the player and certain players fit certain systems and make a career of it.  Savage a great example, Atko under Dalglish, Reid under MacKay, Travis under Mowbray...

You have to make the best of what you have and losing every week with the 2nd most goals conceded in the league then it's time to come up with something that works.  If the tools are there you at least try and use them, pack the middle if need be, allow Wharton a further rwd role.

At Rovers though right now the sole focus is allow Wharton to play as many mins as possible in the deeper role so he can be sold in summer, points come secondary.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 7

52 minutes ago, Gav said:

I've calmed down a bit since yesterday on the Travis departure, now we have a few more of the facts.

Its seems like JDT has sanctioned the move unlike the Buckley debacle and Travis wants out to play regular football and nothing wrong with that.

Broughton has a very good record spotting players in my opinion, lets hope the 2 new lads are as good and help maintain our Championship status. 

But surely its experience we are lacking? JDT has referred to that himself. More L Plates are not the answer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Aye and hes lost how many out of how many ?

Sometimes it's about the system not the player and certain players fit certain systems and make a career of it.  Savage a great example, Atko under Dalglish, Reid under MacKay, Travis under Mowbray...

You have to make the best of what you have and losing every week with the 2nd most goals conceded in the league then it's time to come up with something that works.  If the tools are there you at least try and use them, pack the middle if need be, allow Wharton a further rwd role.

At Rovers though right now the sole focus is allow Wharton to play as many mins as possible in the deeper role so he can be sold in summer, points come secondary.

The examples you gave were probably the best in their positions at the time. Travis is not the best in his favoured position at the club. We do not have the luxury of being able to afford an expensive back-up player. If that leads to a weak squad, then that is what we have to live with. It is not so much about the abilities of the players, but the clubs ability to pay them. 

All these young players coming in...Tomasson must be party to these signings and agreeing to them.

Which brings me back to a point I made the other day and similar which @Tom (I think it was) made yesterday.

Tomasson can't keep making 'inexperience' excuses, if he is indeed giving the nod to these incomings..

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really? JDT'S press conference where he fully explained the Travis wanted out twice. JDT is very open and honest with the fans. What more evidence do you want? 

Do you believe every word you read and hear in the news? do you ever weigh up two sides to a story and apply logic or critical thought to a situation?

Tomasson is paid by Rovers. He has a responsibility to himself and his employers to project a certain narrative. He would be the first manager in history if he came along and said "the player didn't want to go, he was keen to stay and fight for his place, but people at the Club decided we were getting rid and freeing up the wages as there's no other money"

If he said that he'd be turning the focus on the Club, owners, board, Broughton and himself rather than on a player who's out of the way for 6 months and he probably won't work with again after he resigns in the summer.

It's a bit like when you insist JDT is happy at Rovers because he's said something along those lines in his press conferences.

You take that at face value and insist it is true. A blind man can see it probably isn't given the way these owners have conducted business since he arrived.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

JDT and GB find themselves in a situation that they didn't anticipate and I think, overall are doing their best.  The wheels have come off over the last month, caused mainly by a small squad which has been diminished by injuries.  I have no doubt that if JDT had been given the players he asked for over the summer, we would not be in this position.

Of course all clubs make signings that are not successful, and if we'd had a half decent keeper playing this season, the league table might look a lot different.  All the club's senior officials must take some responsibility when things go badly, but we all know is it to blame for the last decade's decline.  Venky's have blown it, and unless the club experiences some kind a miracle recovery, the glory days are over. 

Edited by Paul Mellelieu
  • Like 9

29 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Do you believe every word you read and hear in the news? do you ever weigh up two sides to a story and apply logic or critical thought to a situation?

Tomasson is paid by Rovers. He has a responsibility to himself and his employers to project a certain narrative. He would be the first manager in history if he came along and said "the player didn't want to go, he was keen to stay and fight for his place, but people at the Club decided we were getting rid and freeing up the wages as there's no other money"

If he said that he'd be turning the focus on the Club, owners, board, Broughton and himself rather than on a player who's out of the way for 6 months and he probably won't work with again after he resigns in the summer.

It's a bit like when you insist JDT is happy at Rovers because he's said something along those lines in his press conferences.

You take that at face value and insist it is true. A blind man can see it probably isn't given the way these owners have conducted business since he arrived.

He didn't project that narrative when it came to Buckley.

It's pretty obvious Travis wouldn't have been happy not playing ffs

Even with all the injuries and rubbish results, few people posting were including Travis in the their starting XIs in game previews.

Looking forward and hopefully with injuries clearing up, I cannot see Trav displacing either Adam Wharton or Tronstad and if we find ourselves needing to replace either of those two, is Trav going to be ahead of Buckley if Wharton is unavailable or ahead of Garrett if Tronstad needs replacing? Obviously JDT is unsure to say the least but until all the hand wringing about Trav going out on loan, the balance of opinion on BRFCS was Trav would have been 4th or 5th choice for one of two places and a risk whenever he was a makeshift fill in out of position.

Hope his Ipswich loan goes really well for him and we get either a revitalised Travis or a few million in the summer. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 47er said:

But surely its experience we are lacking? JDT has referred to that himself. More L Plates are not the answer.

I don't disagree, JDT tried to bring in the experienced Danny Batth on a free from Sunderland in the summer, but the owners refused because of his age, he went to Norwich instead.

With Venkys extensive footballing knowledge it seems that rule extends to loan signings too, thankfully we are in good hands, what wonderful owners we have 🙄

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

All these young players coming in...Tomasson must be party to these signings and agreeing to them.

Which brings me back to a point I made the other day and similar which @Tom (I think it was) made yesterday.

Tomasson can't keep making 'inexperience' excuses, if he is indeed giving the nod to these incomings..

Honestly think JDT is limited to “I would like” when it comes to transfers - as is often the case with a DOF model.

The difference is usually the DOF is tasked with finding the best players for those positions (or improves the team/squad). Usually the board/owners have a genuine desire to get the best available within an overall financial framework - balancing increased revenue based on results against future resale value and wages of players.

Our owners seem to only focus on one criteria despite having pissed away millions by seemingly only being interested on a minimum ROI otherwise fuck it - let them leave for nothing.

Bizarre

18 minutes ago, philipl said:

Batth has had 9 appearances in a miss firing Norwich defence so we got lucky with that one.

They've conceded less goals than us but that isn't really the point.

As 47er says we need experience in this squad, he would have brought that, but our owners know better and continue to meddle in 1st team affairs. 

Edited by Gav

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Gav said:

They've conceded less goals than us but that isn't really the point.

As 47er says we need experience in this squad, he would have brought that, but our owners know better and continue to meddle in 1st team affairs. 

Also may have been very different for him at Rovers. Hirst was useless here but has been solid at Ipswich. Sometimes a different club just suits better. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Who is this kid?

Can't see if he has played for villa yet?

Like for like replacement with hill?

Do we even have a transfer strategy or just taking anyone that will come?

Not sure about Chrisene but the Coventry fans say the other lad is technically gifted but too light weight for the Championship.

If that’s true we’re just taking anyone available that’s cheap enough. We’ve got enough players unsuited to the Championship.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

If he's not given the option of experienced players as we can't afford them what is he supposed to do, decline all suggestions? Or if he wants numbers as the squad is thin, choose one experienced incoming over 2/3 players?

It's likely not as simple as this but yesterday we lost a squad player on one of the higher wages and brought in 2 squad players to cover the same position as well as other midfielder roles, and cover at left back where we didn't have it (as Batty hasn't been deemed good enough for a look in). 

If Gally was fit and someone offered to loan him and it enabled is to bring in a pacey winger and another striker, I imagine there'd be a fair few willing to take the punt. Yet, when fit, I reckon Gally is closer to starting games compared to where Trav was.

• Like 1

The one really clear thing with Travis going and the Brighton lad coming in is that we are not changing approach, we are doubling down and as far as we can tell JDT is onboard with it.

So while we might bring in a bit of experience I think the way we play etc will stay the same.

Hopefully we do turn things around, but doubling down when things are going badly is always a risky move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Can feel the frustration in your words 🤣🤣

41 minutes ago, DE. said:

Also may have been very different for him at Rovers. Hirst was useless here but has been solid at Ipswich. Sometimes a different club just suits better. 

Absolutely. 

I do wonder why Broughton would have persuaded Batth, knowing he was 30+ and he didn't fit the model. 

On 03/01/2024 at 20:40, harryhealless1928 said:

Agree with last 2 posters. Very disappointing Travis is heading for the exit door(if so). If hes being replaced with Isaac Hayden(injury-prone)on loan Ill do my nut! 

Why cant we get rid of Brittain and/or Markanday who havent an ounce of fight between them.  I dont even think the ultra-low fee is a problem - we have let bucket loads of better players leave for free!!

It seems as though anybody who is able to deliver a few home truths is moved on.

Salgado, Roberts, Emerton, Nelsen, Samba, Dack and now Travis. A common theme, whereby players who ask questions make some uncomfortable and need to be moved out.

Of course, moving these players on helps make a saving too, but I think there's more to it than that. Wasn't the Derby halftime 'takeover' under Mowbray led by Travis?

Might be a cynical view, but I think the lack of fight among the two you mention isn't seen as a bad thing by this setup. It's about complying, not asking questions.

Szmodics has looked peed off with teammates on the pitch recently, throwing his arms up at poor passes etc. He'll be next to go. That seems obvious based on the fee he could bring in, but also because he doesn't look like somebody who is happy to just hang around in a development team.