BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

12 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Well, he pulled the rabbit out of the hat today!

I didn't see the game so can't offer opinion of us or Sunderland but everything I've read and seen, which is now quite a bit, says we were good and they were very very shite.

Home to Southampton is a much bigger test.

A draw would be ok but a win makes us more or less ok whilst screwing Martin. What could be better than that 

I think it's probably fair to say that Martin was screwed last night in injury time. Too far off the automatic spots now and well clear of 7th so it's the play offs for them. Hopefully they take their foot off the gas for this weekend and rest a couple.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

When Mowbray played it we went on a long winning run. That did suit us as it felt like the players knew what they were doing. When Eustace did it we looked inept.

Then other teams sussed us out - Mowbray had no plan “ B “ - and the season just fell away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

When Mowbray played it we went on a long winning run. That did suit us as it felt like the players knew what they were doing. When Eustace did it we looked inept.

It did and was a big part of that winning run. However Mowbray changed to that after the Fulham debacle when we shipped seven. If I remember correctly the next game was against Sheffield United and despite conceding an early goal we were solid defensively. Van Hecke came back after his suspension and slotted in with Lenihan and Wharton. Hyam seems really uncomfortable in a three.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

It did and was a big part of that winning run. However Mowbray changed to that after the Fulham debacle when we shipped seven. If I remember correctly the next game was against Sheffield United and despite conceding an early goal we were solid defensively. Van Hecke came back after his suspension and slotted in with Lenihan and Wharton. Hyam seems really uncomfortable in a three.

I think the thing which meant three at the back worked under Mowbray was at least as much about the pace of Khadra, Brereton and Rothwell than it was about the defenders. Eustace doesn't have that to rely on sadly. 

• Like 2

Van Hecke. Think i've raised it before -the issue of the quality of loans which has declined.

Never liked Mowbray as a manager but he did seem to get some good loans. Tosin, Elliot etc

Is that:

down to cash

down to Mowbray's network -agents/personal contacts being better than present incumbents

the dysfuntion at Rovers is so well known that we are a last resort

Edited by aletheia
  • Like 1

JDT was very employable, wanted to go places quick, knew - and let be known - who wasn’t up to it, and wasn’t afraid of getting fired. 

Eustace was on the scrap heap, grateful to get another gig, is delighted to not be managing complete donkeys, and will cling on by his fingertips no matter the indignities.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, aletheia said:

Van Hecke. Think i've raised it before -the issue of the quality of loans which has declined.

Never liked Mowbray as a manager but he did seem to get some good loans. Tosin, Elliot etc

Is that:

down to cash

down to Mowbray's network -agents/personal contacts being better than present incumbents

To be honest, i think those 3 loans fail into the good as it gets category. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

The McFadzean red card was probably the best thing that happened to him. It meant abandoning the 5 at the back which going all the way back to when Mowbray tried it just does not suit us .

We had both McFadzean and Carter on the bench against Sunderland. I think  we're in a better place defensively now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

We had both McFadzean and Carter on the bench against Sunderland. I think  we're in a better place defensively now.

We look a lot better with four at the back and with Tronstad back in the team. Think McFadzean might not play for us again if we avoid injuries/suspensions for Hyam, Wharton and Carter.

13 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

We look a lot better with four at the back and with Tronstad back in the team. Think McFadzean might not play for us again if we avoid injuries/suspensions for Hyam, Wharton and Carter.

Possibly true but we're not down to the bare bones like we were. That's my point.

That was a stronger starting line-up and a stronger bench than we've had for a while.

Edited by 47er

5 hours ago, aletheia said:

Is that:

down to cash

Cash will play a part plus Mowbrays steady hand but we'll have paid bigger loan fees or wage contributions back then.

Now though we have Waggot unchecked by any manager controlling him just picking up the phone and committing 6 month 20k a week deal for a player with a 9 out of 10 chance of getting re-injured.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

JDT was very employable, wanted to go places quick, knew - and let be known - who wasn’t up to it, and wasn’t afraid of getting fired. 

Eustace was on the scrap heap, grateful to get another gig, is delighted to not be managing complete donkeys, and will cling on by his fingertips no matter the indignities.

You couldn't have it more wrong about Eustace

But, it isn't a theme to know what you are talking about when it comes to John Eustace to be fair

I can't remember a manager getting as much undue stick on here than this bloke. It borders on stupid to be fair. Eustace had a few job offers before going with Rovers. He wanted this gig

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lucimo said:

I think it's probably fair to say that Martin was screwed last night in injury time. Too far off the automatic spots now and well clear of 7th so it's the play offs for them. Hopefully they take their foot off the gas for this weekend and rest a couple.

Southampton will want to ensure that they retain 4th spot to get ground advantage in the 2nd leg of the playoff v the team that finishes 5th.

They have games in hand on the teams above them but I agree that their chances of an automatic place have all but gone.

They will be hurting after Ipswich, a game they should have won and I expect them to come to Ewood looking for a win.

I hope so, it will leave them more open to our forays forward.

It should be a good game.

12 hours ago, aletheia said:

Is that:

down to cash

Don't disagree he got some good loans but also some absolute duds or players who were quite poor for us:

Zeefuik, Giles, Poveda, Clarkson, Douglas, Branthwaite (though started off ok), Palmer, Harper

• Like 1

Totally agree with Eustace on this point.  The most important thing for the club this season is staying in the Championship.  The last three games have shown that the players are more than capable of doing that.  With the new TV contract and increased revenue from that from next season it's vital to stay in the Championship.

9 hours ago, 47er said:

Possibly true but we're not down to the bare bones like we were. That's my point.

That was a stronger starting line-up and a stronger bench than we've had for a while.

Definitely. Agree with both your posts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You couldn't have it more wrong about Eustace

But, it isn't a theme to know what you are talking about when it comes to John Eustace to be fair

I can't remember a manager getting as much undue stick on here than this bloke. It borders on stupid to be fair. Eustace had a few job offers before going with Rovers. He wanted this gig

It's not about Eustace at this point, it's about the strained relationship between the club and the fans and he happens to be in the crossfire. With good results people will start forgetting again and the atmosphere will change.