BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Rumours & Speculation

On 13/02/2024 at 07:20, Ricky said:

Just catching up, has there still been no comment from Greg? Seems odd for someone who seems to like to speak to the press to have zero comment after a window where we sold a player for a record fee, screwed up a signing and then sacked a manager.

Surely any one of those would usually result in some sort of statement 

Exclusive

Greg is going to speak to the media during the international fixtures/break

I guess Gregg and his team had been working for a while on the detail of this, as a permanent signing.

Then at the 11th hour Venky's -via Suhail and Maggott- told them the money was withdrawn.

I think the problems started from there.

I would expect Greg to be on his way at the end of the season. Amazed that he has not walked out already!

31 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I guess Gregg and his team had been working for a while on the detail of this, as a permanent signing.

Then at the 11th hour Venky's -via Suhail and Maggott- told them the money was withdrawn.

I would expect Greg to be on his way at the end of the season. Amazed that he has not walked out already!

Where would he walk to?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Can't imagine Gregg is giving this gig up easily, he's in a position that he doesn't look remotely qualified for to me.

He moves on and he's taking a huge backwards step in terms of club, position, and salary at his next job IMO.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Sometimes you are in a position where that's not as important as just getting the fuck out.

It's his first DoF gig. Even if the project has changed, he can be successful under different models. I'd say there's less pressure now as we have no money to spend on players, so all the emphasis will be put on the academy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

No way is he voluntarily leaping off the gravy train.

We did say that anyone with any integrity would be walking out after that transfer window and I correctly predicted one only (JDT) would be leaving.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Should have moved for him when he was available after leaving City

Screenshot_20240215-151153.png

I bumped into Jason in a nice Manchester steak restaurant a few years ago.  We were waiting for our tables, having a glass of wine and I introduced myself as a Rovers' fan and how lovely it was to meet him.  He was delightful, as was his partner, and spent ten minutes chatting to me and my wife about Rovers.  He said he thought the owners having had made mistakes were doing a good job investing in the club.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Can't imagine Gregg is giving this gig up easily, he's in a position that he doesn't look remotely qualified for to me.

He moves on and he's taking a huge backwards step in terms of club, position, and salary at his next job IMO.

He's between a rock and a hard place. He readily admitted a DoF position was a step up for him. I don't think it made him totally unqualified but needed a club to give him an opportunity. I think he has the skills to succeed in the role.

What he can't afford though is his first gig as a DoF to be a blot on his CV. He needs his work here to be a success to continue having a successful career. I'm sure he can't believe the batshit set up he's found himself in, specifically Steve Waggott. His job has been made very difficult. So, does he walk away with a tainted reputation or keep working in a toxic environment to try and get some credit in the bank? No offers on the table elsewhere and Venkys won't sack him because they despise paying compensation. 

In terms of his performance so far, it's difficult to give too much praise since he's not been successful but at the same time, I'd argue he's been hamstrung at every turn. Is he an asset or a liability? I'm not sure anyone can really say. My main reason for standing by him is I believe his future success is tied to Rovers success, so he's one of the few people in the building who wants to see positive change.

Edited by ben_the_beast
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Can someone explain how Silvester and Waggott remain in position?

I'm hoping that at least one of them are currently working their notices, departure timed with GB's intention to speak to the media.

Based on nothing other than my hope, but surely the Club Secretary's role is untenable after 3 massive cock-ups.
Last year's in particular likely cost us a top 6 place minimum.

Gross (repeat) incompetence.

• Like 2

Ahhh so it turns out, Greg IS on shaky ground and in spite of his role, it was indeed Waggott who hired Eustace and based on what we’ve seen, also brought in McFadz and Fleck whilst stopping the McGuire purchase.

Who would’ve thought!! 👀🤣

• Like 4

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

And why would any of them leave to be honest. This idea of leaving out of shame or whatever is so naive, none will get a similar job.

Until Venkys go, we will continue to be a shambles. The hope wouldnt return with even them 4 going.

Greg is done. My guess is that he’s working an extended notice period to hand over / end the several aspects of his role.

The writing was on the wall as soon as the McGuire deal got pulled and then Waggot started signing players and a manager from his little black book

IF they keep the DOF role, it wouldnt surprise me to see Jonty get it. That’s what he’s aiming for.

Lets see…

Edited by Paul Mani

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Greg is done. My guess is that he’s working an extended notice period to hand over / end the several aspects of his role.

The writing was on the wall as soon as the McGuire deal got pulled and then Waggot started signing players and a manager from his little black book

IF they keep the DOF role, it wouldnt surprise me to see Jonty get it. That’s what he’s aiming for.

Lets see…

Is he done? Absolutely nothing to suggest he is.

He may well lose a power struggle with Waggott in time but nothing to suggest he is done at the moment.

Damien Johnson moving from coach up above the manager to DOF would be a bizarre move.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Lets see…

Is he?

Edited by KentExile

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Lets see…

That would be my best guess too...