BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Southampton (h) - 6/4/24

51 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Maybe just the sun out but feels like it will be a decent crowd from the numbers in the fan zone.

No idea about the result. As ever most important thing is not conceding early and getting the first goal. If Sunderland had made their early pressure count in the first 20 mins it would have been a totally different story.

Reflecting on Sunderland I was at the home game and its no exaggeration that football wise I think it was one of the best footballing performances Ive ever seen from Rovers in 30 years of watching - amazing passing, movement, overloads, combinations - but we somehow ended up losing 3-1. We played a more measured way last weekend, weathered the early pressure but then crafted great goals without leaving ourselves exposed through over committing.

Eustace may not have the same attacking commitment but if JDT was here today I would be worried wed play well but contrive to get smashed three or four one. I think we should be more competitive today. And while we dont maybe get a result i do think we will be in the game all the way through. Will he interesting.

Key man for me is JRC. He has a sort of Championship Gerrard about him. Puts the tackle in, picks the right forward passes, always looking to get forward on and off the ball, and a real goal threat. If he keeps his fitness could be one of the best midfielders at this level I think.

I see what you mean by that comparison. He has a tenacious and technical style on the ball. If JRC was more athletic and less injury prone he would probably be at a higher level.

A significant issue with this team is a lack of athleticism. None of the Prem loanees are favoured who probably are more mobile. It seems Eustace might be a managerial throwback to his era of playing (at least at moment, as we battle relegation).

We’ve not threatened much and they’ve had two good chances, but I wouldn’t say either has really been on top.

Interesting to see if Sammie comes back out, we’ll be lacking industry up top if we switch him for Moran, as seems likely.

A draw’s a good result on paper, but their keeper is ropey at best and they might be in their own heads a bit after Ipswich. No reason to think we can’t beat these at home.

Hate Russell Martin. Not proud of it, I just do.

1 minute ago, Bethnal said:

We’ve not threatened much and they’ve had two good chances, but I wouldn’t say either has really been on top.

Interesting to see if Sammie comes back out, we’ll be lacking industry up top if we switch him for Moran, as seems likely.

A draw’s a good result on paper, but their keeper is ropey at best and they might be in their own heads a bit after Ipswich. No reason to think we can’t beat these at home.

Hate Russell Martin. Not proud of it, I just do.

You should be proud of it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I see what you mean by that comparison. He has a tenacious and technical style on the ball. If JRC was more athletic and less injury prone he would probably be at a higher level.

A significant issue with this team is a lack of athleticism. None of the Prem loanees are favoured who probably are more mobile. It seems Eustace might be a managerial throwback to his era of playing (at least at moment, as we battle relegation).

Classic curse of the comment though... JRC probably had three good opportunities to find the right pass and (like the rest of the team) missed them.

Southampton keep giving us the ball around the half way line and half the pitch to run into but we just cant make a couple of simple passes work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

5 pages at half time against a last season's prem team when we're fighting for our lives? 🙄

It could be nerves. I will be happy for all the half time scores to stay as they are, as we edge towards safety. 

• Like 1