BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

34 minutes ago, DE. said:

For me the Brockhall scandal will forever taint TM's time here. I can't believe he knew nothing about it. Not after they tried to pull the same stunt at Coventry. For me that's worse than anything Coyle did, although Kean still retains the worst manager spot by some distance.

For me it's the way they must seriously think we are all thick as pig shit.  Did they think we wouldn't find out about Coventry etc etc, do they honestly believe 'fans' cannot remember what they said last week?  It just goes on and on and that's the biggest insult of all.  All it displays is how the fans are truly seen within the halls of Ewood these days, mindless idiots who will believe anything we are told.

• Like 7

I see Bradford have sacked their managers after a dodgy run. They did a good job in keeping them away from trouble when struggling last year but the club have taken decisive action and are not seeking applicants for the job.

Coming to something when 4th division Bradford can do it but we can't.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

For me the Brockhall scandal will forever taint TM's time here. I can't believe he knew nothing about it. Not after they tried to pull the same stunt at Coventry. For me that's worse than anything Coyle did, although Kean still retains the worst manager spot by some distance.

They pulled the plug on this. It’s the thing that keeps me believing that Mowbray and his men are gone.  Dodgy group. Old fashioned looking for a bit of gravy on a deal. Train on the ewood pitch to prove you need to sell brockhall. Buy your friends son and give him a four year contract. Anyone who has to keep speaking about how honourable they are needs watching because hourable people don’t. He’s in the same group as Kean and Coyle but craftier. All I want is a guy who want to achieve things for us and not for himself. He’s spent 4 seasons talking us down he wouldnt do that at boro the old lag

• Like 9

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

And tone fair Coyle was ok. Just in the wrong place with a fan base that hated him. No money, no support. Not like Mowbray. 

The way Coyle arrived, usurping a good manager in Neil Warnock, combined with the "SEM who?" lie will always grate. Obviously the team also performed poorly under him - but he was a shit manager with a below average team. It is what it is. When it was obvious things were not working out he was sacked - too late, as always, but at lightning speed by Venky standards.

That's what separates the likes of Mowbray and Kean from all of our other managers - they've worked themselves into positions of absolute power where football results no longer seem to matter. Even Bowyer wasn't immune to that. That's why these comparisons between Kean and Mowbray are made. I don't think anybody will deny Kean was far worse (and anybody that does has forgotten how bad it was between 2011-2012, imo) but Mowbray has somehow gotten himself into the same bulletproof position. The Brockhall debacle just makes it even worse and propels him way ahead of Coyle on my list.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 7

Coyle was parachuted into the job. I don’t hate Coyle because I thought he tried to make a fist of it without any financial backing.

Keans is unspeakable awful.

Mowbray is heading into the same waters. If you listen to him he’s is starting to sound the same hoewever Kean never made any pretence of honour. 

Neither of them could set up a team both believe winning is irrelevant. Further both talk has though they have a dream. Our owners are a nightmare. You couldn’t endlessly get things this wrong. Maybe their selection criteria is to find perennial underachievers who are narcissistic.

Its is just a nightmare. I can’t stand to listen or look at him also his football is shit. 

Will I turn up. Yes because I love Rovers and it’s the thick and thin thing. I’d like a bit of the thick soon

1 hour ago, Boroblue said:

And tone fair Coyle was ok. Just in the wrong place with a fan base that hated him. No money, no support. Not like Mowbray. 

Coyle was a lying bastard that relegated the club to division 3, are you being serious? 

Did you watch us when Coyle was manager?

He bought pies and cakes for the first team every Friday FFS.

Useless.

Edited by Gav

52 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

I accept that he was on to a loser to begin with, and some of his signings were actually pretty good considering the lack of cash (some decent loans anyway).

Even taking that into account though, he was properly awful. The way that Mowbray has tried to play this year has been a mistake, and he should have been more flexible when it wasn't working, but at least there has been some thought which has gone into how we should play. With Coyle, it literally seemed as though he just stuck eleven players on the pitch and told them to get on with it. 

11 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I wonder if anyone thinks Coyle would have got us out of L2, or indeed Kean for that matter.

I'm no Coyle fan - he was useless. But he never took pops at the entitled fans or tired to sell off the training ground. Both of which make him less odious than TM. 

Also before we build up TM as a managerial giant I do wonder if Coyle would have done much worse than TM if he had had the backing TM had. 

Compare this seasons performance to Coyle's and I would say it is probably worse. 3 years into the position, £15 million net transfer spend, no enforced sales, the advantage of Covid overall and Covid and a points deduction helping us Vs relegation rivals and we are what, 3 points better off. That doesn't strike me as a better manager to me. 

Again not that Coyle is any good. He gave us Williams and Byrne for starters and let Duffy go awol. But if we are doing a like for like comparison I wouldn't be too confident on TM looking good. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I'm no Coyle fan - he was useless. But he never took pops at the entitled fans or tired to sell off the training ground. Both of which make him less odious than TM. 

Also before we build up TM as a managerial giant I do wonder if Coyle would have done much worse than TM if he had had the backing TM had. 

Compare this seasons performance to Coyle's and I would say it is probably worse. 3 years into the position, £15 million net transfer spend, no enforced sales, the advantage of Covid overall and Covid and a points deduction helping us Vs relegation rivals and we are what, 3 points better off. That doesn't strike me as a better manager to me. 

Again not that Coyle is any good. He gave us Williams and Byrne for starters and let Duffy go awol. But if we are doing a like for like comparison I wouldn't be too confident on TM looking good. 

I'm not sure why I'm choosing this hill to die on, but we do have a like for like comparison when they had half a season each with the same squad!

I'm not even suggesting Mowbray should be kept on - on this season's evidence we've badly lost our way - but Coyle's tenure was horrific. 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t put Mowbray in the same league as Kean personally although I totally understand the lack of trust and respect after Brockhallgate. 

I apportion more of the blame to Waggott if I am honest. A real nasty piece of work. Something about him reminds me of a second hand car salesman.

Mowbray won’t be remembered fondly that’s for sure. He had a lot of good credit banked but that is just about running dry now. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I wouldn’t put Mowbray in the same league as Kean personally although I totally understand the lack of trust and respect after Brockhallgate. 

I apportion more of the blame to Waggott if I am honest. A real nasty piece of work. Something about him reminds me of a second hand car salesman.

Mowbray won’t be remembered fondly that’s for sure. He had a lot of good credit banked but that is just about running dry now. 

It ran dry 12 months ago, Teflon Tony and Slippery Steve, pair of con men 😞

• Like 2

I doubt we'd ever have gone down under Mowbray or even Coyle had the club - whoever that actually is - not sold Cairney / Hanley and even Duffy.

That was the crux of it along with Rudy and Rhodes of course but they were inevitable. Sadly though despite them not being perfect you just cannot replace two 24 year old international defenders with a young converted mid, an injury prone loan, a 36 yr old and a 37 yr old whose legs went 4 years before.

That's what Coyle did although Mulgrew came in as well he struggled to adjust until we dropped into lge 1.

Coyle was only here 5 mins and did enough damage to last a long time and talked a decades worth of shit.  Mowbray to his credit cleared that damage up and often talked sense in his own humble way.

However for the past 12 months at least he's been firmly in self preservation mode and has veered from outright nonsense to weekly contradictions. Basically he's been in say anything mode for a long time now. Anyone who can't see that doesn't want to.

Coyle was an outright con job whose somehow winged his way through the last decade. I think there is more substance to Mowbray he's steady to Coyles erratic but he breached his capability ceiling here 2 years ago. It's also become clear he's a very crafty operator off the pitch in terms of making his words cover his failings.

Once you've been sussed you've been sussed it's very rare that gets turned around. That's another reason he needs to be gone before crowds come back.

9 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I wonder if anyone thinks Coyle would have got us out of L2, or indeed Kean for that matter.

I’ve said this before and I still believe it. Mowbray didn’t get us out of league 2 the senior professionals at the club did when they took over after the disaster at Oldham. Mowbray even said it himself and they were handsomely rewarded for it with big long contracts. The idea that we are stable under Mowbray is nonsense and unless someone at the club acts I fear the wheels are about to come off.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm not sure why I'm choosing this hill to die on, but we do have a like for like comparison when they had half a season each with the same squad!

I'm not even suggesting Mowbray should be kept on - on this season's evidence we've badly lost our way - but Coyle's tenure was horrific. 

Hi get that none of us are saying either are good, more like a debate as to which is worse a punch in the face or kick in the balls. 

It's a good point that you make. With the same squad TM was doing a bit better. And that points to him being a little stronger in terms of ability. 

My counter would be two fold. Firstly his character and actions away from the pitch are FAR worse. Trying to sell the training ground - unforgivable. Suggesting Rovers fans were entitled due to remembering 1995 - insulting. Coyle also didn't give contracts to his mates kids and the like either. Off the pitch, far, far worse which more than undermines him being a bit better in ability (which I tend to agree with just.) 

Secondly it's a just/very marginally better. For starters TM still got us relegated. Secondly the limited number of games, as we saw to our cost this season, probably helps TM in comparison as there was less chance of the obligatory death spiral (hypothetical I know). Also Coyle came into an utter mess, he didn't even get a load of his recruits in till towards the end of the window. It was a far from easy start. To use an analogy its easier to come in part way through cleaning up a mess. Then of course there is this season. To be three points better off with a shed load of advantages is absymal. Utterly appalling and just as unimpressive in its own way. 

To be fair I doubt Coyle would have done as well as the previous 2 seasons, although with that budget and team I think he might still have got us up.  but overall I think TM has shown plenty of ineptitude as a manager and blows Coyle away with his off field antics. 

• Like 4

Now is the perfect time to make a change. Also notice that no other clubs at our level are on the lookout right now, unless you count Sheffield United who seem confused.

Give it a couple of weeks and WBA might have a vacancy if Allardyce walks away. Maybe Fulham also. Wouldn't be surprised to see Derby make a change if their takeover gets sorted. Could become a congested market quite quickly.

See the favourite for the Salford job is Alex Neil. Are they really going to have two better managers in one season than we've had in 10 years?

• Like 2

Coyle was a crap manager but at least it didn't last long.  Mowbray is a crap manager but also a liar and it's lasted years. Kean turned fan against fan. Mowbray is now doing the same. I would say he's as bad as kean and Coyle in different ways 

• Like 4

Coyle was a total disaster of an appointment, not just because of results and the major role he played in us ending up relegated. 

The more lasting impact of that shambles of a season is the dumbing down of expectations across the patch - from the club, the local media and probably most depressingly, the fanbase. If we’d have stayed up at Brentford and meandered along since in the bottom half of the Championship, TM would’ve have long lost the fans, and we wouldn’t have the spectacle of BLACKBURN ROVERS fans being grateful for merely existing and not being in the third division.

• Like 2