BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Canaries. Sat 12th Dec 3pm

I don’t feel that bad anymore. A Saturday trudge up Livesey Branch , miserable at more points dropped / lost / surrendered. I certainly don’t miss that.....but, I no longer “ feel “ the defeats/ performances  as badly . I’ve come to accept that whilst Mowbray is here ....we are a doldrums team .It might sound defeatist ...but, it’s fact. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Dolly blue said:

I don’t feel that bad anymore. A Saturday trudge up Livesey Branch , miserable at more points dropped / lost / surrendered. I certainly don’t miss that.....but, I no longer “ feel “ the defeats/ performances  as badly . I’ve come to accept that whilst Mowbray is here ....we are a doldrums team .It might sound defeatist ...but, it’s fact. 

Agreed. 

And to compound matters, the old adage “a manager lives and dies by results” doesn’t apply here.

• Like 4

We're starting to get adrift of the top 6 a little now which is worrying. We have to stay within 5/6 points until we get Trav, Dack and Breo back. We can't afford to get another further adrift.

Plenty of games to go of course but the margin for error gets smaller and smaller the further we get adrift. We need a storming Christmas period, but we tend to struggle over the festive period normally. 

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This is the most frustrating thing for me. I genuinely feel we could be 5+ points adrift at the bottom and he’d still be as safe as houses. 

i agree,we could be bottom of the whole football league and he would`nt be sacked,the only way we are ridding ourselves of the mowbray yawnfest is he decides to retire,resign or bugger off somewhere else(highly unlikely as he`d likely be given the boot  at any other club)

Same old story today, played v a big side, the usual platitudes, we apparently "deserved more," we "played our part" and we "were unlucky." Its not a coincidence that we keep coming out on the wrong side every time we play anyone half decent.

Some people may be sucked in to the hard luck, woe is me narrative offered by many, blame injuries, blame referees, blame fine margins as if they will spin in our favour, blame deflections, blame rotten luck. Others will be wowed by the different style of play to the point that they refuse to accept (at times in patronising fashion) to accept that we are in the same place as we have been in the past. @superniko showed us the facts, we havent improved. 24, 26 and 25 points at this stage of the season, improvement my arse. 

Tangible and intangible improvements have been made this season. Kaminski is an obvious upgrade on Walton and Elliott is a brilliant talent who has made a massive impact. Ayala seemed a shrewd addition as did Douglas to our leaky defence. And intagible ones too, Armstrong only started scoring so regularly half way through last season, Brereton seemed to turn into a different player, the likes of Johnson, Holtby and Rothwell were apparently going to be "new players." It is the case with Mowbray that in the Championship, no matter how improved the ingredients are, the end product always results in mid table mediocrity.

On todays performance, Holtby and Rothwell are the perfect summary of 2020/21 Rovers, ineffective more often than not with fleeting glimpses. Johnson was very good and for me has started to display some consistency and out of the 3 is the one that now can be least accused of flattering to deceive, he would be the one to maintain his place over the other 2 when Travis and Dack return. Elliott was absolutely excellent, Gallagher and Armstrong very quiet, we are so reliant on the latter.

Defensively, we always return to the comfort blanket that is Derrick Williams, a defender who has proven not to be of the level we need. Douglas put in some good balls but was all over the place yet we have to persist because the alternative is terrible. Kaminski aside from some wayward kicking kept the score down and Nyambe was good. The subs were very much made for the sake of it I think, Downing got involved, the other 2 looked out of their depth.

• Like 2

Disappointed by the result as I felt at 1-1 we would go on to win, the same old Rovers defending. 

Lenihan, Douglas and Williams were awful and I don't know why Ayala didn't start. 

I didn't understand the triple subs Mowbray made. 

We are now 6 points behind the top 6 now. We need to put a winning run together now. I think we are better footballing side now then we were when we came up from league 1. 

Gallagher was unlucky not to score. 

I would drop Williams, Douglas, Holtby for the next game with Ayala, Bell and Trybull coming in 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

As per usual the commentators on i-follow were watching a completely different game.

Whilst we were ok going forward first half, defensively we were dire Pukki should have had two more, the young lad Martin should have had another and they should also have had another right at the end. Not half chances either, absolute sitters it was harder to miss than score.

Up against a decent centre half in Hanley Armstrong never got a kick.

No fight in them whatsoever after the second goal.

The triple substitution on 70 mins was an absolute joke and made things even worse.

Elliott excellent - he isn't even our player- Nyambe very good - he'll be off soon - the rest - meh.

Season over yet again and it isn't even Christmas. How many more chances is this buffoon of a manager going to get?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

Agree....The guy is a Dinosaur 

14 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

Me too. As I said the other day I've come round to accepting lack lustre performances when the chips are down. Nothing will change with this guy in charge. The writing was on the wall for me in the promotion season. The best squad in the comp and we played  lackadaisical, constipated, dull football lots of the time. I'd have said thanks for getting us promoted Tony but we need someone who can set us up for another promotion push and to be honest you aren't that man. 3 wasted seasons.

• Like 2

Lost to top side via a rather fortunate goal is the face of it, not the worst performance but one which is pretty standard for us.

Sadly it's not good enough to get anywhere and if we aren't praying for Armstrong to pull us out of it we are praying for a few of the missing bods.

We shouldn't need to pray all the time though but we still only really perform to a top 6 required standard once every 5 games.

Said it before but collectively i just don't think they 'want' it enough. Don't often question the desire and effort under TM but there is something missing. The extra mile and real belief isn't there for anything other than a middle of the road slog.

But when you have a manager / directors and seemingly owners happy with that then that's all you'll end up getting.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Douglas has been a big disappointment, but I suspect that Bell is benefiting from not being in the team and people forgetting how bad he is aswell.

I think Bell has done well when called upon this season to be fair.

Not suggesting he's the answer if we were to have promotion aspirations but still.

Douglas has been woeful for me.

Groundhog day again. These 3 games off the back off a good run were a real chance for us to show that we were genuine promotion candidates, sadly we have come up well short and we are at our ceiling under Mowbray which is mid table.  

Three of todays back 4 were part of the League 1 promotion winning defence 3 seasons ago and the other one is league 1 standard at best. I thought that any left back would be an improvement on Bell but Douglas has proven me wrong. Lenihan and Williams were both abysmal and are never going to be good enough to get us into the Premiership, just what was Lenihan doing for the second goal. It sums the pair of them up that they can't get into a absolutely dreadful Republic of Ireland team yet Mowbray think they can get us to the Premiership. Nyambe once again the shinning light of the back 4 superb as always and unlike us as a club I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him playing in the Premiership next season, one things for sure I can't see any reason why he would sign a new deal with us.

The subs in midfield for the second game running did not help us one bit. And my goodness how out of his depth did the boy wonder Buckley look. Incredible really to think that Elliott is 4 years younger than him, with the difference in how they deal with the physicality of games you would think it was the other way around. On Elliott what a fantastic goal and no surprise to me that it come from him playing from the right hand side, why does Mowbray constantly move him about can he really not see that when he plays from the right he is our best player.

It's another game where we have conceded the first goal and have failed to win. In fact we only have one point from 8 games where we have conceded first. I think that says a lot about the mentality of the club there doesn't appear to be that fight there which for me comes from the manager. He feels under no pressure whilst his mate is CEO and in return the players feel no pressure from the holiday camp mentality that Mowbray has at the club.

If the owners and Waggott are serious about promotion then they would sack Mowbray tonight and if Mowbray really did have the clubs best interest at heart then he would admit that he has taken the club as far as he can and resign. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Lost to top side via a rather fortunate goal is the face of it, not the worst performance but one which is pretty standard for us.

Sadly it's not good enough to get anywhere and if we aren't praying for Armstrong to pull us out of it we are praying for a few of the missing bods.

We shouldn't need to pray all the time though but we still only really perform to a top 6 required standard once every 5 games.

Said it before but collectively i just don't think they 'want' it enough. Don't often question the desire and effort under TM but there is something missing. The extra mile and real belief isn't there for anything other than a middle of the road slog.

But when you have a manager / directors and seemingly owners happy with that then that's all you'll end up getting.

And the so called fans on Facebook

• Like 1

The game stats as shown on Sky suggested that we didn’t perform as badly as some people are saying. Norwich deserved their victory and they, Bournemouth and Watford will no doubt be occupying 3 of the top 6 places.

A world class save denied Gallagher early on and we started the second half very positively. Elliots goal was immense but we lost heart after their second goal.

Douglas is yet to show us he’s any upgrade on Bell and his shooting boots need attention.

Armstrong was pretty ineffective  today. Elliott my MOM with Nyambe a close second.

As a neutral observer Ally Mcoist was not as critical as some on here in his Sky comments.

A bit more time on the training ground this coming week will help us. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

Quite a few managers have said similar this year and it is exactly what we do not want to hear. Managers smug after a win giving us credit while we sit here with no points. We want opposition managers to hate playing v us, not loving us being a soft touch.

Indeed, like the kind of comments you hear when a plucky underdog gives a top team a good game in one of the cups. "Improvement year on year" is a blatant lie and proves he has no idea what he's talking about, as a post in this very thread has shown.

• Like 3

Fed up of hearing opposition managers and fans complimenting us. Our squad and our style of football are improving and Tony deserves credit for this, but we continue to not be clinical enough and lack the psychological fortitude to beat the top teams and progress beyond 7th place. We are underachieving. Looking like nearly men. 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Disappointed by the result as I felt at 1-1 we would go on to win, the same old Rovers defending. 

Lenihan, Douglas and Williams were awful and I don't know why Ayala didn't start. 

I didn't understand the triple subs Mowbray made. 

We are now 6 points behind the top 6 now. We need to put a winning run together now. I think we are better footballing side now then we were when we came up from league 1. 

Gallagher was unlucky not to score. 

I would drop Williams, Douglas, Holtby for the next game with Ayala, Bell and Trybull coming in 

You know it's a dropped bollock when one of the more positive posters on here says it like it is.

How do you drop three of your defence because that's what needs to happen? Lenihan wouldn't play the next game under a proper manager after that showing.