BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Canaries. Sat 12th Dec 3pm

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I wouldn't call Bristol City one of the top teams they finished below us last season. They are a good top half side who can't take the next step to the play offs.

You can have all the variables you like but there are only two things that matter, the number of points won and the position in the table anything else is merely spin.

And at the end of the season we can judge.  I'm not overly optimistic, but the squad we have now is far better.  Don't you think?

30 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Does anyone think Damien Johnson would be ready to step up? 

No.

He's not a manager. Decent coach perhaps but not a manager of men. ( perhaps similar to Ray Harford RIP?)

That's my opinion based on direct, personal interactions in the past. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

And at the end of the season we can judge.  I'm not overly optimistic, but the squad we have now is far better.  Don't you think?

Yes the squad is better which is exactly why I want Mowbray out as I want to see this squad have the best chance possible of achieving something rather than wasting another season of mid table mediocrity with Mowbray. Which will then result in the better players moving on to fulfil their ambitions at a more ambitious club.

Edited by Ewood Ace

2 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Totally agree. And the fact we are no better off in the league is a damning indictment on the manager and says all you need to know about his ability to take us further.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Squad is better indeed, but with that means that we probably should be doing better than being exactly where we have been for the last two seasons too....

• Like 1

Flattering to deceive. Some good attacking play with crosses pinging around the field but we were constantly forced out to the flanks, letting Norwich deal with crosses of varying quality rather than trying to pass through the heart of their defense. It's telling that they scored from a quick turn and a deflection, while we had to pull out a wonder goal from an individual performance. Mowbray's subs didn't pay off either, thought we lost the initiative without Johnson and Holtby.  It's also worrying that Armstrong was so anonymous while Elliott played brilliantly, can't he play when he's not the main attacking option?  

Also, as we're highly unlikely to trouble the top 6, you have to question why we should keep using Elliott instead of Dolan, despite his massive talent. Why develop a player we won't see a dime from over one of our own, when we won't be close to promotion anyway?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

but I think asking me now that Mowbray's shelf life as manager as passed, I think we should look for a change

Thanks for reply. 

38 minutes ago, Tormund said:

I think he would be next in line. 

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You are basing your analysis on opinions, on subjective matters, on style, on aesthetics. The points tally does not bear out the improvement you mention in spite of some obvious upgrades in personnel.

I think we have improved as a squad and that based on what I watched 2 season ago to now with my own eyes. Sadly this season we arent in stadiums but seen every game.

11 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I said at the end of last season that I’d give him 10 games to show some improvement and he passed test with flying colours. We look a different side to the one that trudged through the back end of last season. 

He deserves and will probably get until the end of the season at least.

If Warnock or Hughes show an interest in the post I’d sack him, but until that happens we hold our nerve, plenty of games in the locker.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

“We’re on a journey to get better. We have an ambition to try and push on and be around the top six in this division and after 46 games we’ll see whether we’re good enough.

“We were in League One only two-and-a-half years ago and we’re trying to build and grow".

I just wish Mowbray would feck off.

Sick and tired of what, IMO, is just bullsh1t, followed by more bullsh1t.

Sadly, our owners and happy clappers seem to buy it.

Four years ago Sheffield Utd were in League One, too, and had been for seven years. But somehow they managed to get promoted to the Prem in their SECOND season back in the Championship.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

I said at the end of last season that I’d give him 10 games to show some improvement and he passed test with flying colours. We look a different side to the one that trudged through the back end of last season. 

Sadly the table doesn't look any different from our perspective and that is all that really matters. Different style same substance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

Four years ago Sheffield Utd were in League One, too, and had been for seven years. But somehow they managed to get promoted to the Prem in their SECOND season back in the Championship.

You’ll always have exceptions to the rule, it’s easy to cherry pick, I can give you plenty of examples where that didn’t happen.

4 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

Didn’t wolves go straight through as well. Albeit only down for a season or 2.

Its all about the slow build a point improvement per year. 

47 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

With the squad we have we should be at least six points higher up the table than we are. I think there's little doubt about that.

Every one of our first team players top championship sides would be interested in, maybe Gallagher and Williams aside.

Mowbray deserves credit for assembling the squad, but we should be safely in the top six with it. If he can't do it we need a to be looking at a change in Jan.

Do you REALLY think any Championship clubs would be interested in Douglas, Lenihan, Williams or Holtby as they've played this week??! 

13 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Sadly the table doesn't look any different from our perspective and that is all that really matters. Different style same substance. 

I agree. 

Who would you replace him with?

I’d have Hughes in a heartbeat, we’d not lose wondering that’s for sure, but can’t think of anyone else that could take this squad up, that’s what poster are looking for. 

4 hours ago, superniko said:

Worth noting after 18 games:

2018 - 26 points and 5 off playoffs 
2019 - 24 points and 6 off playoffs

Lose this and it’s 25 points and 6 off playoffs. We can complain about injuries but we’re just not progressing and it couldn’t be highlighted any more than by looking at our back 4 during that 45 mins. 

Just to add to this, I do actually believe we have improved the quality within the team (mainly by the addition of Elliott and the improvements in Brereton and Rothwell). 
It’s been so long since we’ve seen Dack but he was by some distance our best player. Drop him in this team with Elliott and Brereton and with Travis providing the energy snapping in midfield and we improve even more. 
It does again boil down to the poor defence though, and there’s only so many seasons you can hold onto attacking talent (with Elliott also returning next year), and we have to start all over again.

With a very winnable Xmas period I hope to post this view again before the Doncaster game to show we have progressed in the table, even if it’s very slight. 

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Exactly, we're the 'new Ipswich' IMO and remind me, where are they now?

We aren't really comparable as they actually did get into the playoffs and had a lot less money available to spend. But that's the benefit of having a manager who can get the best out of a squad and builds from the back. The football may not be pretty but the team as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Similar to how we were under Allardyce back in the PL days.

I think Mick McCarthy would have a very good shot of getting this team promoted - not that we'll ever get to see it.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tormund said:

Does anyone think our owners are capable of deciding a plan of action for the club (like e.g. Southampton, Wolves) and finding a manager to put that plan into action?

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

We aren't really comparable as they actually did get into the playoffs and had a lot less money available to spend. But that's the benefit of having a manager who can get the best out of a squad and builds from the back. The football may not be pretty but the team as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Similar to how we were under Allardyce back in the PL days.

I think Mick McCarthy would have a very good shot of getting this team promoted - not that we'll ever get to see it.

You need to be careful what you wish for in terms of managerial change with Venkys appalling track record. Ipswich fans were hurling pelters at McCarthy for keeping an extremely dull team in midtable. Then just look at what they've done since he left.... Mowbray has massively improved the squad in 4 years but he is utterly clueless about constructing a solid defence. There is likely to be a wholesale change in the squad next summer but the world weary Mowbray is not the right person to handle it. 

For what it’s worth I don’t think anyone is saying Mowbray has done a bad job for me he’s been fairly decent (not amazing as some seem to think) and if he were to leave tomorrow I’d clap him out of the door for his efforts so to speak. So this isn’t like a Kean or coyle situation where literally any other human being will do. 

It’s a case of improvement both on and off the pitch and I really think he’s taken us as far as he can. So that being said with obviously Warnock shunned I’d take any of Hughes, Pearson, McCarthy. All of whom I think would get better RESULTS than Mowbray.

And if they’re not up to it appoint someone else. 

• Like 5

Mowbray always gives you hope and deflates you in double quick time, last weekend I was proud as punch at our fight and getting a point at a difficult ground, then two weak as piss performances and we are as far away as ever, just floating nowhere with no purpose. It severely pisses you off. Right now I’d be willing to take a chance with just about anyone that’s not mowbray. I’m so sick of it and need a change. Seasons over again , sigh. 

id even be willing to give Sherwood a go, after he seemed to know what he was talking about in the sky studio 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Mowbray always gives you hope and deflates you in double quick time, last weekend I was proud as punch at our fight and getting a point at a difficult ground, then two weak as piss performances and we are as far away as ever, just floating nowhere with no purpose. It severely pisses you off. Right now I’d be willing to take a chance with just about anyone that’s not mowbray. I’m so sick of it and need a change. Seasons over again , sigh. 

id even be willing to give Sherwood a go, after he seemed to know what he was talking about in the sky studio 

How can you say the season is over on December 12th? Do you really mean that? There are plenty more games left and an equal number of twists and turns. 
Im not prepared to give up just yet.

• Like 1