BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

5 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

He maybe needs to lower his sights a bit. As for Bielsa and Nuno they came into English football and had to start  at Championship level and did superb. Hughes maybe  thinks hes already done his apprenticeship with managing only PL clubs . Anyway hes certainly back looking for work ..never off TV along with Cowley, Monk and Poyet recently, all putting themselves back in the shop window.

As for our owners matching Hughes ' ambitions.. simple answer ..no.

I would agree that Hughes does need take a step into the Championship. I'm convinced that after Hughes kept both QPR and Southampton in the Premier League that a bigger club would step in and hire him away. Walking away from Fulham, despite Hughes' acknowledgement that it was wrong, would not have been taken well by potential hirers. A more practical reason why they didn't swoop for him is that it takes, in my opinion, a different set of skills to keep a team up than it does to qualify for those European places.

Our owners tell us that they are ambitious. Grandiose ambitions, I'm thinking. Remember the players Venkys talked about signing, when they first came in. The goal was to establish the club as a Champions League qualifying team every year.

Hughes does want work. We need a manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

why Paul Cook?

Did amazingly with Wigan and almost kept them up in challenging circumstances and with a huge point deduction, promoted as champions from league 1. Two of the three seasons he was with Wigan he did better than TM in the circumstances.  Add in a promotion with Portsmouth before that too and it's not a bad record at all. 

Not my first choice though but probably an upgrade on TM. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Did amazingly with Wigan and almost kept them up in challenging circumstances and with a huge point deduction, promoted as champions from league 1. Two of the three seasons he was with Wigan he did better than TM in the circumstances.  Add in a promotion with Portsmouth before that too and it's not a bad record at all. 

Not my first choice though but probably an upgrade on TM. 

Yes a proven winner, better than Mowbray in head to head competition. Plus he'd organise and put a bit of fight into them. Bit of a nasty git, which is the sort of thing you hate in the opposition but love when it's on your side.

Plus he was on the panel for one of our recent TV games and spoke very knowledgeably about our team and its strengths. Feel it'd be a really good fit for where we are atm.

I deffo wouldnt take that dingle Cook in any circumstances and he is on his way to Ipswich anyway. 

Hughes is on BBC this afternoon in the studio for Palace Fulham game. He one I would look at. Cowley is another one. Did a good job at Lincoln and very decent job at Huddersfield plus Managers like Artell from Crewe and Rowett from Millwall would be targets for any search for a new manager. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So if he professed an interest in coming here, you would take Eddie Howe, Chaddy (yes I know he doesn’t like it up north, before you try and get out of it with that) ?

He wants PL job and likely to be the next Palace manager. 

Plenty of managers out there to find a replacement for Mowbray. I gave a 4 man shortlist

Edited by chaddyrovers

5 minutes ago, bazza said:

Not wanting a dingle at Rovers is a silly opinion. We'd all take Dyche in a flash, wouldn't we.

Yes. My reason for not wanting Cook in an ideal world is because he's a mouthy nasty bloke, nothing to do with his Burnley connections. I didn't want Coyle because he was a busted flush, not because he was an ex Burnley manager, although i did point out to Cheston when I told him that i wasn't renewing my ST that Coyles Burnley connection was the straw that broke the camel's back. Cook is generally successful so his connections don't come into it

• Like 1

This had that horrible out of our control feeling again. Just like it always does with Venkys. Absolite idiots. Have ruined huge amounts of football enjoyment for rovers fans over the years. More of it now as we watch teams around us make good appointments at the right time. We are just as likely to get this next one wrong  I actually think we could fall into big trouble here. 

Venkys out 

Mowbray out 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Callum Davidson just won the league cup with St Johnstone, amazing achievement. Get him on the shortlist too.

Well done to Callum, but I bet the Nobbers will be in for him before anyone at Ewood woke up to the fact. 

• Like 1