BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

7 hours ago, superniko said:

The bloke took Huddersfield up to the Premier League and kept them up for a season. 
It would be the equivalent to Barnsley doing that now with Ismael.

Huddersfield had come 19th, 17th, 16th and 19th in the 4 seasons prior and before that 9 straight seasons in the 3rd tier. 

Add in working in the Bundesliga and a product of a Dortmund development system, personally he’d be an outrageous upgrade and I’d be delighted.

Far, far superior to the merry-go-round of unimaginative failures I’ve seen suggested like Monk or Rowett

I'd not be excited by a Monk or a Rowett either, but I do have some concerns about Wagner.

He started off fairly well at Schalke:

P21 W11 D6 L4

Then it went rapidly down hill to the mess that Schalke find themselves in today. The 20 games following that start:

P20 W0 D7 L13

Whilst it was also an impressive achievement to take Huddersfield up and keep them up for a season, the end of his reign there was pretty terrible as well.

P34 W2 D9 L22

I'd still take him over Mowbray, as he could be brilliant, but equally, he could be a disaster.

@JHRover I think your 3 points cover the likely outcomes. I think there a lot of people who fear that Venkys will botch the replacement of Mowbray.

I do agree that Mark Hughes would want to bring in his own team. Is there any doubt that Venus, Lowe and Benson are not Championship or higher quality? Anyone who comes in would want to replace the three. Even if they did promise to keep them, we've experience of Coyle doing that and then removing the people he'd agreed to work with.

I think Johnson is already 'working' with the U23s.

Of course, Waggott's got to go at the same time, though I don't see the need for Venkys to replace him immediately.

On 25/02/2021 at 16:52, Bbrovers2288 said:

Every manager has a club that doesn’t work out, mourinho has had a fair few. He done well with Southampton, Celtic and Scotland 

6 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

You have seen his schalke record right?

You’ve contradicted yourself a little here...or does that statement only count for Mark Hughes and Gordon Strachan (I believe with Mulgrew as assistant) that you suggested...

Hughes win rates of 18.5% at Southampton, and 23.5% at QPR 

Strachan, well he was 20th in this league in his last domestic role with one of the favourite for the league and then failed to qualify Scotland for a tournament in 3 attempts (one Euros they increased the size of qualifying teams too)

Hypothetically, Ismael takes Barnsley up to the Premier League against all odds, and keeps them up for a season against all odds, they sack him when bottom in his 3rd year and he moves to one of the best leagues in Europe, he has a bad season there and gets sacked. 
Rovers are still mid-table in the 2nd tier, would you turn your nose up at him?

Edited by superniko
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, superniko said:

You’ve contradicted yourself a little here...or does that statement only count for Mark Hughes and Gordon Strachan (I believe with Mulgrew as assistant) that you suggested...

Hughes win rates of 18.5% at Southampton, and 23.5% at QPR 

Strachan, well he was 20th in this league in his last domestic role with one of the favourite for the league and then failed to qualify Scotland for a tournament in 3 attempts (one Euros they increased the size of qualifying teams too)

Hypothetically, Ismael takes Barnsley up to the Premier League against all odds, and keeps them up for a season against all odds, they sack him when bottom in his 3rd year and he moves to one of the best leagues in Europe, he has a bad season there and gets sacked. 
Rovers are still mid-table in the 2nd tier, would you turn your nose up at him?

Strachan didn’t have a mowbray esque death spiral of 20 yes 20 games and now relegated one of the biggest teams in Germany through negligence. He got lucky with Huddersfield, almost certainly relegating them when he left too. That’s two relegations to his name and one lucky season- sound familiar? Mowbray, coyle etc.  Plus the fact he jumps ship as soon as the going gets tough shows he doesn’t have the cohones.

not for me my friend. 

would I want Ismael if he fails for seasons from now on- no.

accept that some folk have differing views.

my top two for a shortlist would be Hughes or the cowleys currently 

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Strachan didn’t have a mowbray esque death spiral of 20 yes 20 games and now relegated one of the biggest teams in Germany through negligence. He got lucky with Huddersfield, almost certainly relegating them when he left too. That’s two relegations to his name and one lucky season- sound familiar? Mowbray, coyle etc.  Plus the fact he jumps ship as soon as the going gets tough shows he doesn’t have the cohones.

not for me my friend. 

would I want Ismael if he fails for seasons from now on- no.

accept that some folk have differing views.

my top two for a shortlist would be Hughes or the cowleys currently 

But it’s selective reasoning - look at how many failed seasons Hughes has had. You use it against one manager but blissfully ignore it for others. Saints were in the relegation zone when they potted Hughes, I know which would be considered more of a flop season between that and Huddersfield. 

“two relegations and one lucky season” - again selective, firstly he got them promoted and then kept them up for a season and I could just spin that as promotion, safety and 2 unlucky seasons. 

Not sure what you’re even on about regarding his cohones, getting sacked once and leaving by mutual consent once doesn’t strike me as someone who “jumps ship as soon as the going gets tough”. Even if that was the case it’s no worse than the untouchable style we have at the moment. I’d bloody love it if Mowbray jumped ship. 

It’s all moot point anyway, never happening in a million years with these owners (Hughes or Wagner) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, superniko said:

But it’s selective reasoning - look at how many failed seasons Hughes has had. You use it against one manager but blissfully ignore it for others. Saints were in the relegation zone when they potted Hughes, I know which would be considered more of a flop season between that and Huddersfield. 

“two relegations and one lucky season” - again selective, firstly he got them promoted and then kept them up for a season and I could just spin that as promotion, safety and 2 unlucky seasons. 

Not sure what you’re even on about regarding his cohones, getting sacked once and leaving by mutual consent once doesn’t strike me as someone who “jumps ship as soon as the going gets tough”. Even if that was the case it’s no worse than the untouchable style we have at the moment. I’d bloody love it if Mowbray jumped ship. 

It’s all moot point anyway, never happening in a million years with these owners (Hughes or Wagner) 

Hughes has had a lot more successful seasons in the bank though, Wagner has one. And even then he didn’t make the signings. I’m just very wary of going for these one season wonders and expecting miracles, been down that road too much lately. 

I think - though I know we don't have it - proper people doing the recruitment is key. Being honest I thought Souness was a busted flush after limited success in his previous few jobs. But he was excellent for 3 and a bit years for us. My point being that sometimes some managers are the right fit for a club. If you have someone smart doing the recruitment then they can perhaps match up some unfashionable or unlikely names who fit well with the club. Another example that springs to mind is Moyes who I think is a poor manager at West Ham. It's clearly a surprisingly good fit and is going well. A good CEO doing recruitment can find these right fits. Sadly we haven't got anyone competent doing the recruitment. 

Just read about Cook - didn't realise there was a third club Chesterfield he got promoted too. That's more successes than TM in half the amount of time as manager, and no Celtics or Coventry cock ups on his CV either. Another one we could and should have gone for. 

• Like 7

Harsh to say Moyes is a poor manager. Did excellently at Everton before the United job basically derailed his career. I agree West ham is a good fit, but I don't think it's that surprising he is doing well there. He would have far more in his locker than Mowbray. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Harsh to say Moyes is a poor manager. Did excellently at Everton before the United job basically derailed his career. I agree West ham is a good fit, but I don't think it's that surprising he is doing well there. He would have far more in his locker than Mowbray. 

I can't disagree with you on that score, but I also cannot forget how we fans were vilified by Moyes because of voicing our displeasure with K***n. 

• Like 1

Has anyone followed Damien Duff's coaching career? I believe he's recently left the Ireland set-up, after a spell at Celtic as reserve manager. I'm not suggesting him as the next manager, not really knowing of his record, but he might be someone to look to bring in for the future - if he's up for it. I think his family's normally based in Ireland.

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

Has anyone followed Damien Duff's coaching career? I believe he's recently left the Ireland set-up, after a spell at Celtic as reserve manager. I'm not suggesting him as the next manager, not really knowing of his record, but he might be someone to look to bring in for the future - if he's up for it. I think his family's normally based in Ireland.

He's back on RTE doing punditry. He left the Ireland set up over fall out from a video played to the players before the England game. Difficult to figure out the full story on what exactly happened. 

I would get him in as a coach, definitely not as a manager yet. 

6 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Moyes who I think is a poor manager at West Ham. I

You're kidding right? Flopped at United understandably following in Ferguson's footsteps but did a very good job for years at Everton and the same now at West Ham. Admittedly not won anything but very few have outside the elite managerial club. He's a top manager 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You're kidding right? Flopped at United understandably following in Ferguson's footsteps but did a very good job for years at Everton and the same now at West Ham. Admittedly not won anything but very few have outside the elite managerial club. He's a top manager 

Maybe I have been a bit too influenced by his Rovers comments in Kean era. He did tank at a few jobs not just United - in Spain and Sunderland too if memory serves me correctly - so don't think he is that good a manager. Perhaps poor was overly harsh although disagree with the top billing. Regardless of poor or mediocre I would say the point stands that West Ham could have been forgiven for thinking he was a busted flush/not appointed because of his failures but did their homework and appointed him in spite of this, and are reaping the rewards. 

• Like 1