BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

My (admittedly pointless) revised shortlist of people we need to be making contact with asap. Even if we are deluding ourselves that Mowbray can turn this around soon we have to put the wheels in motion on a back up plan in case he doesn't. Given the stage we are getting to this needs to move quickly and on that basis I've ignored those who are contracted at other clubs simply because the remotely decent ones, such as Rowett, Ismael, Neil, aren't going to be easy to get out of their existing clubs at this stage of a season.

1) Cowley

2) Hughes

3) Monk

4) Wagner

I'm honestly short on other suggestions just now that I'd be confident a) would take the job b) would be obtainable and affordable c) I would have confidence in them immediately delivering results

I'd expect both Pulis and Adkins to be on the agency list but on that basis alone I wouldn't want either but even if they weren't agency list I'd avoid based on recent records.

Venus, Johnson are potentially suicidal.

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

What's the enthusiasm for the Cowleys? They didn't last 5 minutes at Huddersfield

I think they are worth a punt. Incredible record at Lincoln and sorted out a real mess at Huddersfield when they looked like they might go straight through to League One. Achieved what they were tasked with doing. Huddersfield haven't improved since they left.

Recharged, refreshed, ready to work. An educated gamble.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

My (admittedly pointless) revised shortlist of people we need to be making contact with asap. Even if we are deluding ourselves that Mowbray can turn this around soon we have to put the wheels in motion on a back up plan in case he doesn't. Given the stage we are getting to this needs to move quickly and on that basis I've ignored those who are contracted at other clubs simply because the remotely decent ones, such as Rowett, Ismael, Neil, aren't going to be easy to get out of their existing clubs at this stage of a season.

1) Cowley

2) Hughes

3) Monk

4) Wagner

I'm honestly short on other suggestions just now that I'd be confident a) would take the job b) would be obtainable and affordable c) I would have confidence in them immediately delivering results

I'd expect both Pulis and Adkins to be on the agency list but on that basis alone I wouldn't want either but even if they weren't agency list I'd avoid based on recent records.

Venus, Johnson are potentially suicidal.

Cowleys for me too.

Don't rate Monk in the slightest. Other than that agree with your post almost entirely. Bit harsh on Johnson possibly, risky and timing not ideal now but could be great.

Venus would be be beyond suicidal. Isn't he meant to be Tony's ace transfer negotiator who I also read somewhere (might have been in connection with Coventry) Tony also thought was a genius at juggling figures?

"Write the theme tune Sing the theme tune...."

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

CowleysDon't rate Monk in the slightest. Other than that agree with your post almost entirely. Bit harsh on Johnson possibly, risky and timing not ideal now but could be great.

Venus would be be beyond suicidal. Isn't he meant to be Tony's ace transfer negotiator who I also read somewhere (might have been in connection with Coventry) Tony also thought was a genius at juggling figures?

"Write the theme tune Sing the theme tune...."

Monk's an odd fellow and goes through clubs at a rapid rate. I wouldn't be overly keen but I do think his record is better than people credit him for. He had to work with horrendous conditions and points deductions at Birmingham and Sheff Wed and both have gone backwards since he left.

Rather him than Pulis, Venus, Adkins, Johnson but in an ideal world we'd look elsewhere. It was more looking at available firefighters who would take the job and know the beast they were dealing with. I think Monk would.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think they are worth a punt. Incredible record at Lincoln and sorted out a real mess at Huddersfield when they looked like they might go straight through to League One. Achieved what they were tasked with doing. Huddersfield haven't improved since they left.

Recharged, refreshed, ready to work. An educated gamble.

All managers are a gamble to some extent but it's odd that they were shown the door at Huddersfield so soon. What was the reason? And if they are so highly regarded why have been out of work for the past 8 months?

My biggest regret is that the likes of McCarthy, Warnock, Pearson and Allardyce have all been available over the past 12 months or so. I'd have welcomed any of them to the club. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

All managers are a gamble to some extent but it's odd that they were shown the door at Huddersfield so soon. What was the reason? And if they are so highly regarded why have been out of work for the past 8 months?

My biggest regret is that the likes of McCarthy, Warnock, Pearson and Allardyce have all been available over the past 12 months or so. I'd have welcomed any of them to the club. 

Indeed. We've squandered so many opportunities and now the options and timescales so much more limited.

They were sacked at Huddersfield due to disagreements on their structure. The Cowleys wanted to manage and be in sole charge of recruitment, whereas their Chairman wanted a head coach structure which they've now got with the young Spanish bloke there. 

As for why they've been out so long who knows. Maybe it was part of his severance deal with Huddersfield that he needed to stay out, maybe he's been waiting for a Championship offer and rejected lower division clubs, maybe he just wanted a year rest like many do.

I just think here and now he's the best contender out there, and he'd take the job and embrace it as the biggest job of his career rather than us having to twist someone's arm to come here.

He's probably not got the right agent though for this club so wouldn't get it even if he offered to do it for free.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I think if you make it too summer, Frank Lampard becomes a very sexy choice

Great player but I wasn't particularly impressed with him as a manager at either Derby or Chelsea.

On the plus side would raise the profile of the Club and would let the youngsters express themselves.

Not going to want to come here though is he?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Bruce likely to be out newcastle after weekend, he isn’t premiership quality but much like McCarthy , championship savvy 

Yeah I’d agree with that a club our size he’s ideal when you look at what he did at brum, Hull, Wigan, villa etc. That said their isn’t a vacancy and doesn’t look like their will be one 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Bruce likely to be out newcastle after weekend, he isn’t premiership quality but much like McCarthy , championship savvy 

Where have you read he is likely to be sack? 

Bruce wouldnt be worst appointment. Plus number 2 is likely to be Steve Agnew aswell.

10 hours ago, Carbz said:

If Wilder ends up leaving Sheffield United, would he be a viable option?

If he is available in the summer then he must a target tho I think Sheffield United would stupid and dumb to sack Wilder when they go down. He is likely to bring them back up next season 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Where have you read he is likely to be sack? 

Bruce wouldnt be worst appointment. Plus number 2 is likely to be Steve Agnew aswell.

If he is available in the summer then he must a target tho I think Sheffield United would stupid and dumb to sack Wilder when they go down. He is likely to bring them back up next season 

I think Wilder will stay at Sheffield. If they were going to sack him they'd have done it by now.

• Backroom
10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

My understanding at the time was that they didn't agree with the aims of the club hierarchy.

My assumption (and that's all it was and still is) was that the club wanted promotion immediately but the Cowleys didn't feel they could deliver that, so walked rather than commit to something they felt was unachievable.

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Sheffield United would stupid and dumb to sack Wilder when they go down. He is likely to bring them back up next season 

Think I heard yesterday that he's unhappy that they haven't talked about what happens next yet

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I have a pal who an Huddersfield fan. He's quite well connected and his view is that the Cowley's would cause trouble in an empty house. Make of that what you will. Maybe that's what we need ?

As opposed to Mowbray, who is currently causing trouble in an empty stadium.

• Like 7

I cannot get my head around the Cowley brothers love in! They haven’t done anything at this level that would benefit us! We need an experienced manager who knows how to get the best out of the talent we have. If they were that good or revelled in football they wouldn’t be unemployed!

• Like 1

The problem is we would probably have better options if we wait until summer. The Barnsley manager if they don't go up for example, along with others off the managerial merry go round. 

Mowbray still needs to go though, so who takes over and tried to get us to safety? 

It's going to be Mowbray ,or someone from left field. I'm still in the Keane til the end of the season camp. I just don't see many options out there at the moment. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

14 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I cannot get my head around the Cowley brothers love in! They haven’t done anything at this level that would benefit us! We need an experienced manager who knows how to get the best out of the talent we have. If they were that good or revelled in football they wouldn’t be unemployed!

I'd imagine Burnley fans were thinking something similar in 2012 when they appointed Dyche.

He'd had one season as a manager - finishing mid-table with a pretty unremarkable win percentage (34.69%).

They didn't go for experience.

• Like 1