BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

Sounds like the gig is up. I know it's hard to watch, but keeping Mowbray til summer and getting this appointment right is better than pulling the trigger now and giving it to Venus or Johnson. 

Also agree no players will want to stay if Mowbray is manager. The game is clearly up for him. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Silva's honours...

Manager[edit]

Estoril

Sporting

Olympiacos

Individual

Versus...Mowbray's

Managerial career[edit]

West Bromwich Albion

Blackburn Rovers

Seeing as the only thing Mowbray has in the last decade or so is a history of being sacked and not being able to win League One despite having by far the biggest budget...

It's a no brainer.

Not Marco Silva's biggest fan, but anything is better than more Mowbray doing nothing but promising jam tomorrow and giving us a season over by February. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sounds like the gig is up. I know it's hard, but keeping Mowbray til summer and getting this appointment right is better than pulling the trigger now and giving it to Venus or Johnson. 

Also agree no players will want to stay if Mowbray is manager. The game is clearly up for him. 

I think so. Comments from Mowbray saying he wants the club to be in a good place when he leaves suggests something is afoot. Think he'll leave at end of season, probably don't want to be around when the fans return. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucimo said:

I think so. Comments from Mowbray saying he wants the club to be in a good place when he leaves suggests something is afoot. Think he'll leave at end of season, probably don't want to be around when the fans return. 

It's the correct time. The problem is Venkys have major issues reading the room. 

I honestly don't know. Half of me thinks Mowbray will just cart on with more of the B.S over the summer and the other half thinks things are drawing to a close and that surely a combination of the owners getting fed up, diminishing returns on the pitch and Mowbray clearly feeling some heat will see a parting of the ways. 

It seems a corner has been turned again on the 'death spiral' with 4 points, should have been 6, from two tricky fixtures along with much improved performances. This is standard Mowbray management. The pressure will lift just as even the most positive were getting restless and enough is done to keep us away from trouble. Keep that up for another 2-3 games and we will limp along to safety in mid-table. Probably hit another 2-3 game winning run in April to see us through to 60 points zone by season end.  

No doubt a few excellent performances along the way from the younger players or prospects will further 'vindicate' his management whilst Nyambe exits stage left, which encapsulates why the whole 'project youth' thing is actually a bit of a sham when our biggest asset of the last 3-4 years is on his way.

Assuming we limp through to the end of the season without dropping lower than 16th or 17th I think the pressure on him will ease and a legion of fans on Facebook etc. will be more than happy to support 'the journey (though probably not enough to actually spend money enduring it next season)

It seems some people are now at a stage where this season will be seen as a success or acceptable regardless of position or points simply because we have a few good young players stepping up.

I still think this season has been a massive missed opportunity, one we may not get again for some time if the Venky fire sale begins, and if there's an ounce of ambition here in the summer we need to be preparing for a post-Mowbray era. 

I think Mowbray knows he's cocked the season up, expects to be on his way or at least under serious pressure, hence his comments, but actually the way things will probably pan out is that Venkys will be happy to keep their man in place to run it for them (that's when they get around to checking what league we are in next season some time in the summer)

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I can't wrap my head around how Mowbray manages a continuous cycle of no wins in X number of games, where the players look like they just met in the car park before kick off, to going X games unbeaten and looking like we could actually trouble the top 6.

We look a reasonable side and pick up points when there is no pressure on a game. Dead rubbers are a happy hunting ground for us. 

Every season follows more or less the same pattern. Win a few when it’s futile.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

What makes you think that?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14260689/tony-mowbray-blackburn-owners-boss-replacement-sack/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I'm certainly no Nixon fan but I'd assume he's got this information from somewhere, not something you'd print out of thin air 

4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Wilder about to leave Sheff Utd........

.....i know, it's never going to happen.

Why would it when we have Magical Mogga....

I suspect he'll have other offers. I wouldnt necessarily say better but for sure other teams will be more proactive in getting a deal done when he becomes available. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Let’s be honest if you were going to replace thats the one that’s almost perfect, you’d be mad not to put the feelers out 

Did we not approach him previously before he went to Sheffield utd, or have I imagined that. He would be a fantastic appointment, sadly I just can't see it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Did we not approach him previously before he went to Sheffield utd, or have I imagined that. He would be a fantastic appointment, sadly I just can't see it. 

https://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/news/sheffield-united-chris-wilder-turned-down-approach-blackburn-rovers-become-blades-boss-63187

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Let’s be honest if you were going to replace thats the one that’s almost perfect, you’d be mad not to put the feelers out 

That's the problem though isn't it - usually you'd expect the CEO or equivalent to be putting the feelers out. Not a chance Waggott would do that to Mowbray.

The pressure' s off Mowbray because of the improved performances in the past 2 games

But even if we go on an unbeaten run for a while we've still only taken 5 points out of 27 and everyone knows the same pattern will happen over and over again next season and beyond.

For an ambitious club, grabbing the likes of Wilder, like Warnock, Pearson, Alladyce, when they become available is a no-brainer.

Will it happen? Not a chance

• Like 5

On 10/03/2021 at 23:42, davulsukur said:

I can't wrap my head around how Mowbray manages a continuous cycle of no wins in X number of games, where the players look like they just met in the car park before kick off, to going X games unbeaten and looking like we could actually trouble the top 6.

When you know you are going nowhere there's no pressure on him that's the zone he's most comfortable in.

The one big experiment can continue then, it's where he's most capable. Give people mins, mix and match, play about with formations and it doesn't matter.  End of season in sight and possible scouts from big clubs watching, everyone developes a spring in their step.

He's developing the squad not the team.

48 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Wilder about to leave Sheff Utd........

.....i know, it's never going to happen.

Why would it when we have Magical Mogga....

Oh my god.

I would have thought Wilder would have stuck that one out!

If I was the owner of a club I'd be pulling any trick I could to get him in

• Like 1

Don't doubt Wilder did a good job getting them out of the Champ and surviving a year in the Prem but so did Wagner. Dubious transfer record to rivals Mowbray's with big money flops in Ramsdale, McBurnie and Brewster among others. Not to mention bizarrely giving Rodwell a good deal.

Edited by danger19_80

9 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Don't doubt Wilder did a good job getting them out of the Champ and surviving a year in the Prem but so did Wagner. Dubious transfer record to rivals Mowbray's with big money flops in Ramsdale, McBurnie and Brewster among others. Not to mention bizarrely giving Rodwell a good deal.

Wilder is superior to Wagner IMO. 

Wagner:

Borussia Dortmund II - 164 games (34.8% won)

Huddersfield Town - 154 games (33.1% won)

Schalke - 40 games (30% won)

Wilder:

Halifax - 312 games (38.5% won)

Oxford - 260 games (45% won)

Northampton - 126 games (48.4% won)

Sheffield United - 227 games (46.7% won)

Admittedly, Wagner has probably had the highest profile job at Schalke, but Wilder has a far superior win percentage and didn't just keep Sheffield United up in that first season, but took them to a 9th place finish. Considering Sheffield United's record this season, Wilders win percentage there is incredible.

• Like 3