BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn v Doncaster, FA Cup, Sat 9th Jan

Our FA Cup adventure begins...

Will we take it seriously? Will fringe players get a run out, whilst key players are rested? Pre-season and in the League Cup were dealt with lower league teams fairly easily, can that continue?

For me, I’d hope we take it seriously. A cup run generates interest, builds confidence and gives an opportunity for a few players to get some game time.

Starting places for Dolan, Davenport, Buckley and Carter - I suspect he will also start Dack and Downing.

I’d rest Armstrong, Johnson, Travis and Gallagher - on the bench.

Pike, Lyons etc also on the bench.

I believe the game is shown via the FA website.

Mowbray mentioned that Travis and Dack will start on Saturday which I agree with to get them match sharp, he did suggest that Dack might still not be ready to start games (the usual intensity waffle) so maybe he wont start the following weekend but it seems a perfect chance to give them a start v inferior opposition. A few of the senior players have been given a few games off, I would certainly rest Armstrong and Elliott and give Pears a run out. Davenport should also get another start to potentially make a play for a start again with Travis v Stoke. That would potentially mean being unable to give Trybull/Downing/Buckley a start but so be it.

Defence is obviously the bomb scare, especially if a loanee isnt brought in by the weekend. I dont think we can risk Lenihan or Nyambe if he is even available so it will probably mean 2 left backs who dont cover themselves in glory on either side and 2 kids in the middle, which could be a big problem even v lower league opposition. V Oldham last year Grayson and Platt for example looked well out of their depth and Carter did at the end of the season. Johnson isnt able there either.

There was mention on the club feed that it is free to air via the FA app but it seems unless im missing something that you can only watch it via phone/tablet which is a shame.

I would rest all of the better players with Stoke on the horizon which is a far more important game.

Play the fringe players with a mix of u23, blooding the likes of Pike to give them first team experience. I wouldn’t risk any player from the first team squad for this game if we have any ambition left to make a challenge for the top 6.

0-0 penalties Rovers to progress

• Like 2

Not usually one for making wholesale changes for cup games, especially in the FA cup, but I'd make an exception for this season. Chance to get minutes in for players who need them, rest the ones who have been flogged in a crazy start to the season.

Pears

Pike   Lenihan    Johnson    Douglas

Davenport

Travis               Buckley/Dack

Dolan      Gallagher        Brereton

Kamiski

Pike         Lenihan            Carter     Bell

Davenport            Travis

Dolan                    Dack                Brereton

Armstrong

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Kamiski

Pike         Lenihan            Carter     Bell

Davenport            Travis

Dolan                    Dack                Brereton

Armstrong

I'd have Downing in place of Bell, but I like the rest.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray mentioned that Travis and Dack will start on Saturday which I agree with to get them match sharp, he did suggest that Dack might still not be ready to start games (the usual intensity waffle) so maybe he wont start the following weekend but it seems a perfect chance to give them a start v inferior opposition. A few of the senior players have been given a few games off, I would certainly rest Armstrong and Elliott and give Pears a run out. Davenport should also get another start to potentially make a play for a start again with Travis v Stoke. That would potentially mean being unable to give Trybull/Downing/Buckley a start but so be it.

Defence is obviously the bomb scare, especially if a loanee isnt brought in by the weekend. I dont think we can risk Lenihan or Nyambe if he is even available so it will probably mean 2 left backs who dont cover themselves in glory on either side and 2 kids in the middle, which could be a big problem even v lower league opposition. V Oldham last year Grayson and Platt for example looked well out of their depth and Carter did at the end of the season. Johnson isnt able there either.

There was mention on the club feed that it is free to air via the FA app but it seems unless im missing something that you can only watch it via phone/tablet which is a shame.

You will be able to watch the game on the FA website via their FA Player. However, you need to make an FA Player account first in order to do so. I have just signed up now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, only2garners said:

Anyone know if Doncaster will be able to play? They have had their last 3 games postponed including tomorrow’s because of a COVID outbreak.

Squad is back in today after a 10 day isolation.  They will all have a test in the next couple of days to assess the situation.   Thursday will be the day we find out if it's off.

• Moderation Lead
30 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

How come posts are removed.? 

Can nobody have a negative attitude on here....

Ok, ok. Joe Grayson....he should be captain of the 1st team, great player.

It’s not what you said, it’s how many times you’ve said it. I think everyone heard you the first, second, third and fourth time tbh.

• K-Hod pinned and unpinned this topic

I wonder if Mowbray would prefer the game to be on or off. It could be a valuable opportunity to get a start under the belts of Dack and Travis, for the likes of Davenport, Dolan and one or two other squad players to push themselves for a more regular place, and even for one or two youngsters to make the manager aware of what they can do. Conversely, we dont want any injuries and the defence will be beyond patched up.

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

My team would be - 

Kaminski

Pike Carter Lenihan Bell

Travis Davenport

Dolan Dack Brereton

Armstrong

Nothing too drastic, win the game and keep the momentum from last Saturday going.

Reckon something like that, but can't see Armstrong playing. Also don't think TM will change from 433 though so more like :

Kaminski

Pike  Lenihan.  Carter  Bell

Travis  Buckley  Davenport

Dolan  Dack  Brereton

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

It’s not what you said, it’s how many times you’ve said it. I think everyone heard you the first, second, third and fourth time tbh.

For me I's like to know what Sparks' view of John Buckley and Ben Whiteman is ............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Reckon something like that, but can't see Armstrong playing. Also don't think TM will change from 433 though so more like :

Kaminski

Pike  Lenihan.  Carter  Bell

Travis  Buckley  Davenport

Dolan  Dack  Brereton

I'd go pretty similar to this except Thompson for Bell and Butterworth for Brereton. Would also rest Lenihan but not sure who is available to replace him?

No idea how he will line up.

Might give an opportunity to Dolan start (hope he does) and maybe Pike at Right back.

I could see Downing starting, Buckley too.

He might use the game to get some minutes into the legs or Trav and Dack, or might think about protecting them for the stoke game, who knows.

Maybe even start Pears in net.

Think I have a different view to most on here. With TM at the helm we aren't getting promoted. And given I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon that suggests the league games are a tad meaningless in terms of ambitions. 

There's also a lot of dross in our league like Brum who oblige even our paper thin defence with the odd win. Said dross coupled with the points we have already acquired means we are pretty much safe from relegation. 

So for me why not go for it in this game? A good cup run is our best chance of success and optimism this season so why not give it a go?  Sure there will be a couple of players knackered who need resting but overall the risks imo are pretty limited. It's not going to massively detail our push for mid table. So let's try and recreate a bit of magic of the cup and begin a good cup run v Donny or forefit. 

• Like 7