BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Watford Wed 24th Feb 19:45

I think someone is taking the piss.

One thing Mowbray can't be criticized for is integrating youth into the 1st team squad. Some would say that's his main aim here rather than a top 6 challenging first 11.

Using them correctly is a different argument and a fair one although it applies to seniors as well with him.

Edited by tomphil

To suggest dropping the leagues second top goalscorer for a player who's abilities are of the level of say Joe Nuttall (if people are looking for a reference point), all in the name of youth development, is just absurd to me. Yes we want to bring players through, but only if it helps the team too. 

Dan Pike's a good talent but he shouldn't be starting OVER Nyambe if Ryan is fit.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

To suggest dropping the leagues second top goalscorer for a player who's abilities are of the level of say Joe Nuttall (if people are looking for a reference point), all in the name of youth development, is just absurd to me. Yes we want to bring players through, but only if it helps the team too. 

Dan Pike's a good talent but he shouldn't be starting OVER Nyambe if Ryan is fit.

Agree. Bad move if done by choice, not out of necessity.

And more often than not you will do them more damage than good by chucking them in so early. Particularly with strikers.

We will give him a better chance of success if we let him continue to develop at PL2 level for the next few months, then find him a league two (maybe one) loan next season to see how he develops at a proper level.

11 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Agree. Bad move if done by choice, not out of necessity.

And more often than not you will do them more damage than good by chucking them in so early. Particularly with strikers.

We will give him a better chance of success if we let him continue to develop at PL2 level for the next few months, then find him a league two (maybe one) loan next season to see how he develops at a proper level.

At this rate, he will be able to develop at Division 1 level with us...

34 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Not sure anyone said to drop Armstrong for McBride? Although I think it is a big ask to chuck him straight in.

One thing I mentioned yesterday, do you not find it concerning that despite the fact that we are top(?) of the under 23 league, that none of that team seem anything close to pushing the first team?

3 minutes ago, Fodentinklesthetadger said:

Yes definitely if the academy players are not given a chance they will never develop, not like the first team is performing well ..

I am not saying academy players should be brought in at the expense of players that are performing well. But at the moment the players playing in their present starting positions is not working. Lets change the formation and see what happens. I personally would be looking to a team that could perform for us next season. 

1 minute ago, rigger said:

I am not saying academy players should be brought in at the expense of players that are performing well. But at the moment the players playing in their present starting positions is not working. Lets change the formation and see what happens. I personally would be looking to a team that could perform for us next season. 

I feel that tonight’s game is a perfect chance to try some new academy players, nothing to lose looking at the current form.

56 minutes ago, tomphil said:

One thing Mowbray can't be criticized for is integrating youth into the 1st team squad. Some would say that's his main aim here rather than a top 6 challenging first 11.

Not sure Scott Wharton would agree. Centre-half has been our achilles heel for a number of seasons and yet he has been loaned out several times with great success. However he rarely got a look in here until serious injuries struck and we had little choice. When he played lo and behold he seemed well up to this standard.

You could argue maybe Mowbray didn't fancy playing a young centre half until he has matured, but then you look at our current back 4 and you realise that's obviously not the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Are you suggesting we should drop Armstrong to give him games?

As the season has now one, I would certainly suggest giving the lad some game time to see how he develops and how he looks. We gave a 19 year old Brereton plenty of minutes across 2 seasons despite looking useless, so I'm sure the same should apply to anyone who is having great success at our club at the level below the first team.

Just now, Hasta said:

As the season has now one, I would certainly suggest giving the lad some game time to see how he develops and how he looks. We gave a 19 year old Brereton plenty of minutes across 2 seasons despite looking useless, so I'm sure the same should apply to anyone who is having great success at our club at the level below the first team.

Yes but Tony didn't buy him for a silly amount of money. The only way you're getting guaranteed game time at Rovers is if the club wasted over £5m on you, you're on loan from a Premier League club or your surname is Bennett or Evans.

Otherwise into the tombola you go.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Not sure Scott Wharton would agree. Centre-half has been our achilles heel for a number of seasons and yet he has been loaned out several times with great success. However he rarely got a look in here until serious injuries struck and we had little choice. When he played lo and behold he seemed well up to this standard.

You could argue maybe Mowbray didn't fancy playing a young centre half until he has matured, but then you look at our current back 4 and you realise that's obviously not the case.

It really is time to start playing some academy players, especially considering how well they are performing in the premier league 2, to be up there with Manchester City & Spurs is incredible. 

Someone mentioned loaning them out to league 1 or 2, in my opinion that is not going to develop them. Sometimes you have to throw a player in the deep end in a well timed and nurtured manner. 

McBrides stats do not like and he deserves a start. 

Edited by Fodentinklesthetadger

37 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Exactly you’ve hit the nail sarge 

With all the shenanigans going on I forgot we had a match tonight.

This will be a difficult game for the 2 young centre backs that we have got in for bob-a-job week. Who is going to be the strong leader type to encourage them and set an example during the game. Benno maybe ?

Yes will be a difficult night.

• Like 1