BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

7 minutes ago, J*B said:

Defensive? So far our midfield three seems to be Travis (defensive), Buckley (playmaker), Rothwell (attacking). Surely he’s not going to compete with Trav?

Clarkson is a deep lying playmaker. The ‘pivot’ type…Pirlo, Carrick as opposed to a Makelele, Travis type 

52 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I personally couldn't care less if he's a Rovers fan or not, another player that's going to block someone from our clubs development, this time I assume it will be Jake Garrett who I personally think looked great in the games he played.

What was the point in the Davenport signing? 

Was it a Mowbray signing? He seems to just not rate him at all, what a waste of money.

Johnson contract extension? Again what a waste of money.

Mowbray out.

The signing of Johnson was a bigger waste of money than Davenport .

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am hoping for the likes of Tugay.

Not asking for much saying “I’m hoping for probably the best player ever to smoke 20 a day” but looks a talented passer and reader of the game. Albeit in one game!

45 minutes ago, J*B said:

Clarkson is similar to Buckley in playing style I believe? I’ve never seen him play but that’s what I’ve read on Twitter. If so, it will be a good comparison between 19 yr old Clarkson and 21 yr old Buckley. 

Yes, I'd have thought the signing of this 19 year old is more likely to deprive our 21 year old £10m wonder "kid" of playing time than Garrett.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Not asking for much saying “I’m hoping for probably the best player ever to smoke 20 a day” but looks a talented passer and reader of the game. Albeit in one game!

Socrates for Brazil. Allegedly 60 a day

Edited by rigger

Clarkson would not be a signing that on the face of it I would be over enthusiastic about, it is a stab in the dark because of his minimal senior experience. It seems that it is the only market that we are dealing in. Some of our loans in the last 3 years have proven to be successful and we do need a central midfielder so lets hope that he can come in and do a good job.

Who he supports is an irrelevance too.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I personally couldn't care less if he's a Rovers fan or not, another player that's going to block someone from our clubs development, this time I assume it will be Jake Garrett who I personally think looked great in the games he played.

What was the point in the Davenport signing? 

Was it a Mowbray signing? He seems to just not rate him at all, what a waste of money.

Johnson contract extension? Again what a waste of money.

Mowbray out.

I find this common obsession dismissing loan players on the basis that they will "block" our own graduates to be nonsensical, the key issue should be whether Clarkson or indeed any loanee improves our team, something which I am unsure of based on my above analysis, but something that a few loanees have in the last 3 years. If anything, a couple of loanees can give the green light for a couple of our own more untested young players who if they stayed instead of the loanees would seldom play anyway to go out on loan and play regularly themselves, rather than being 3rd/4th/5th choice in their position. 

One thing that Mowbray cannot be criticised about is giving younger players a chance, whether they are internally sourced or externally sourced, of which there is a mixture, our team and squad are very young at the moment, if anything for me too young. Garrett is a total wild card in that hes never kicked a senior ball of football, will Clarkson be better, we dont know for sure, but I suspect that Garrett would have been let go by Liverpool by now and wouldnt ever make their matchday squad or start a Champions League game.

Loan signings are a very useful way of signing player that we could not usually afford. Of course, there is a balance to be had, the loanees have to be successful (like any signing, but can be more difficult to gauge if they have no or minimal first team experience) and having to sign 5 due to budget cut backs is becoming overly reliant, but a sprinkling of extra talent can be key.

You mention Davenport, he still massively failed to convince me in his cameos and I can sort of understand Mowbrays lack of trust in him, which of course reflects badly on the man who signed him in the first place. He is all energy but it often spills out into over eagerness and rashness and a lack of positional discipline, as seen last Tuesday when he charged in to a typical aggressive foul when we had Morecambe penned in. Johnson is currently injured but although I wanted him to be released, due to budget restrictions his experience in a young squad likely to be closer to the bottom could be crucial.

We also need the depth, we are so short in options that another option in the role that Clarkson plays is really important. Quality? Time will tell I suppose, I have reservations regarding inexperience, but no one has any clue on his ability at Championship level.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Clarkson would not be a signing that on the face of it I would be over enthusiastic about, it is a stab in the dark because of his minimal senior experience. It seems that it is the only market that we are dealing in. Some of our loans in the last 3 years have proven to be successful and we do need a central midfielder so lets hope that he can come in and do a good job.

Who he supports is an irrelevance too.

I find this common obsession dismissing loan players on the basis that they will "block" our own graduates to be nonsensical, the key issue should be whether Clarkson or indeed any loanee improves our team, something which I am unsure of based on my above analysis, but something that a few loanees have in the last 3 years. If anything, a couple of loanees can give the green light for a couple of our own more untested young players who if they stayed instead of the loanees would seldom play anyway to go out on loan and play regularly themselves, rather than being 3rd/4th/5th choice in their position. 

One thing that Mowbray cannot be criticised about is giving younger players a chance, whether they are internally sourced or externally sourced, of which there is a mixture, our team and squad are very young at the moment, if anything for me too young. Garrett is a total wild card in that hes never kicked a senior ball of football, will Clarkson be better, we dont know for sure, but I suspect that Garrett would have been let go by Liverpool by now and wouldnt ever make their matchday squad or start a Champions League game.

Loan signings are a very useful way of signing player that we could not usually afford. Of course, there is a balance to be had, the loanees have to be successful (like any signing, but can be more difficult to gauge if they have no or minimal first team experience) and having to sign 5 due to budget cut backs is becoming overly reliant, but a sprinkling of extra talent can be key.

You mention Davenport, he still massively failed to convince me in his cameos and I can sort of understand Mowbrays lack of trust in him, which of course reflects badly on the man who signed him in the first place. He is all energy but it often spills out into over eagerness and rashness and a lack of positional discipline, as seen last Tuesday when he charged in to a typical aggressive foul when we had Morecambe penned in. Johnson is currently injured but although I wanted him to be released, due to budget restrictions his experience in a young squad likely to be closer to the bottom could be crucial.

We also need the depth, we are so short in options that another option in the role that Clarkson plays is really important. Quality? Time will tell I suppose, I have reservations regarding inexperience, but no one has any clue on his ability at Championship level.

Good post. Can't agree with the bit I've highlighted though. The fact that he is a Rovers fan might not be the most important factor but it cannot possibly be irrelevant. If nothing else, it ought to mitigate any accusations of him being a 'Billy Big Boots' or 'just using Rovers as a stepping stone' or 'what does it matter to him how we get on, he'll be back to Liverpool at the end of the season'. Call me old fashioned but I would be delighted to see 11 Rovers fans in our match day side.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Defensive? So far our midfield three seems to be Travis (defensive), Buckley (playmaker), Rothwell (attacking). Surely he’s not going to compete with Trav?

Clarkson and Travis in front of the back four with Rothwell more advanced.Its a long season Buckley, Rothwell, Travis Clarkson , Davenport won't play every game.

Elliot didn't start every match last season

8 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Good post. Can't agree with the bit I've highlighted though. The fact that he is a Rovers fan might not be the most important factor but it cannot possibly be irrelevant. If nothing else, it ought to mitigate any accusations of him being a 'Billy Big Boots' or 'just using Rovers as a stepping stone' or 'what does it matter to him how we get on, he'll be back to Liverpool at the end of the season'. Call me old fashioned but I would be delighted to see 11 Rovers fans in our match day side.

To be fair, Elliott, Harwood-Bellis, Adarabioyo and Reed never received such an accusation but indeed like all 4, Clarkson is very much using us as a stepping stone.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Purely guesswork, but the interest of two obviously more monied, southern based clubs smacks me a little of an agent trying to squeeze a better contract out of Rovers. Especially considering there were rumours that he had already rejected us which seem now to be premature. 

Obviously if there are genuine offers from either Fulham or Bournemouth, then I'd expect that he'd be off there in a shot. 

• Like 1

Clarkson makes sense. That he supports Rovers gives more chance of a an extended stay too. Maybe two seasons loan.q Even a transfer if it's not working out at Liverpool.

With Rothwell, Travis, Buckley, Johnson, Garett, Davenport, Johnson that's midfield sorted.

Key is another CB for me, and goals up top. 

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If this lad is better than anything we have, comes from Clitheroe and is a big Rovers fan, is there only me wondering why he wasn't picked up by our academy?

Does our academy tend to do well against the big teams in terms of youth recruitment? Or are they likely to get the top ones and we get the trickle down of the ones that don't quite make the grade there? i.e. Travis, Rankin-Costello.

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 1

When we were signing the likes of Tosin, THB, Reed and co they were in seasons with bigger squads were the objective was 'supposed' to be a crack at the top end. 

Now we are in a season of complete transition to younger less costly players to reset the books. Therefore imo this season should be all about getting games into our own players and seeing who is ready and who isn't etc.

By all means get some decent back ups in but the priority and focus should be on our own. And hopefully getting another few young players in for the long term.

It's a bite the bullet season with the aim to stay clear of trouble so why waste money and squad places doing other clubs/players favours.

I was encouraged by what i saw on Saturday in terms of effort and resilience.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

This is a non starter. Two of my closest mates are die hard fulham fans and claim they are about to sign a Brazilian striker named Munoz (?) for about 7m. No way they go in for Obafemi after him and already owning mitrovic. 

• Like 1