BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield Town (h) Sat 24.4.21

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes - while good I've not really been blown away by Eliott to be honest. He's got good stats but rarely beats a man, rarely scores. When he doesn't play I don't really think we miss him to be honest.

He's incredibly young so sure he will come on. But seems a long way away from the likes of Foden, Sancho, Bellingham, Greenwood etc who are England's future. I'm not that convinced he will be a big player for England.

The standout loan for me has been Harwood-Bellis. Cracking player, would love it if we could get him for another year. Would take Elliott too obviously. But if I could only take one it would be H-B.

I really like Harvey as a player and agree with your summation.

Elsewhere I've seen suggestions that BB receives the ball much better than Harvey which is a nonsense. BB has improved a bit in this department but with Harvey it sticks like glue.

BB will never play PL, Harvey may.

Yes, H-B has that extra about him.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The win gave me no enjoyment, during play, straight after or even after a decent sleep.

It only helps the Mowbray con-trick.

90% agree. I always enjoy a big Rovers win, but this was definitely a bit less glossy than usual. As mad as it sounds, I'd have preferred a 1-0 or a 2-1.

5-2 doesn't polish the turd, it merely rolls it in glitter. Unfortunately,  there's too many magpies about who lap up anything shiny!

Agree with your 2nd post on THB. That lad is class & should go on to much bigger & better things. Never looks rushed or panicked,  no last ditch challenges, reads the game superbly meaning he's nearly always in the right place at the right time. Distribution is good too. If we can get him on loan again next season we should snatch Pep's hand off.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Elsewhere I've seen suggestions that BB receives the ball much better than Harvey which is a nonsense. BB has improved a bit in this department but with Harvey it sticks like glue.

Elliot is the real deal whizz kid who was worth good money at a young age because he clearly has some unique ability.

Brereton just wasn't and isn't, he's just the type who showed maybe enough promise to make the step from youth ranks and carve out some kind of career. Loads around like that nothing unique about him. The only unique thing was a dozy rival manager backed by a set of clowns persuaded by some slimy agents happened to notice him.

If we'd paid a couple of million it would have been a fair enough punt. The money they paid still was and is undeniably stupid.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

He was a young up and coming manager at the time. Had done really well with mk dons and I thought at the time he would have been a good fit for us. 

We all know how it worked out for him in the end, but I for one didn't criticise the appointment at the time. 

We were an established PL club, but not a cash rich one, so we were always one bad decision from throwing it all away (as a certain later individual proved), so it was always a needlessly risky appointment - as JW himself later admitted.

• Like 2

• Backroom

I think people forget how slow Formica was. With such a lack of pace he needed high positional intelligence and he didn't have that either. He shouldn't have left South America as his attributes never suited European football, and little surprise he ended up back in South America after failing to impress anywhere else. 

All yesterday proved was, against poor sides who play openly, our counter-attacking style is to be admired.

However as seen in the latter stages of the season, after the false dawn, we still cannot break down sides who drop deep.

A plan B is required, which Mowbray has blatantly been unable to organise.

Big leap of faith to keep his as manager, still dining off Lg 1 promotion.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Harvey will definitely play PL, just not sure at the Champions League level. Could end out carving out a career mid or lower table. 17 though so could rapidly come on.

With BB its just about if he learns to get his head up and improves his final ball. If so could be a yo-yo player I think. He's improved so much in 12 months it's not unthinkable he could keep going. I thought he was the worst striker we ever had in his first season...

As an aside its been pointed out since we've focussed on being direct and counter attacking him and Gallagher look so much better. Interested to see if we continue in that vein.

It's so hard to pick out who will do well. Armstrong statistically has been fabulous at Championship level. Hes quick, scores on his own counter attacking, poaches, gets goals from range, does have a link up side to his game that he showed yesterday. Not one dimensional like Rhodes was/is. Got so many tools.

But... I've got a nagging feeling he will bomb at PL level. Lacks physicality, not quite clinical enough, feels like good prem defenders will sideline him easily. But then again people said that about Bamford and he has thrived. I guess you don't really know till it happens.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes - while good I've not really been blown away by Eliott to be honest. He's got good stats but rarely beats a man, rarely scores. When he doesn't play I don't really think we miss him to be honest.

He's incredibly young so sure he will come on. But seems a long way away from the likes of Foden, Sancho, Bellingham, Greenwood etc who are England's future. I'm not that convinced he will be a big player for England.

The standout loan for me has been Harwood-Bellis. Cracking player, would love it if we could get him for another year. Would take Elliott too obviously. But if I could only take one it would be H-B.

Agreed. He is massively over-hyped. He does have talent but is a luxury. I can't see him as a wide man in a front 3. He's never going to have enough to play in a midfield 3. The only position I can see him in is as a 10 with no responsibilities. He is talented but his complete lack of physicality and most importantly pace will hold him back. I think bottom half Prem will be his ceiling. 

He reminds me a little bit of an old player. Played for Portsmouth for a little while. Andres D'Alessandro. Good footballer but tiny and slow. Only way to get the best out of him was to build everything around him.

• Like 2

Only watched up until the second goal but a very good result, no use seeing it as in any way negative because the twats in India wont even know what score it is, it is baseless to imply that one result will make or break Mowbray's future.

Armstrong yet again proving how critical he is to us and we will struggle at the wrong end without his goals. 

Bell was appalling for their first goal, him and Douglas should not be at Rovers next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Harvey will definitely play PL, just not sure at the Champions League level. Could end out carving out a career mid or lower table. 17 though so could rapidly come on.

With BB its just about if he learns to get his head up and improves his final ball. If so could be a yo-yo player I think. He's improved so much in 12 months it's not unthinkable he could keep going. I thought he was the worst striker we ever had in his first season...

As an aside its been pointed out since we've focussed on being direct and counter attacking him and Gallagher look so much better. Interested to see if we continue in that vein.

It's so hard to pick out who will do well. Armstrong statistically has been fabulous at Championship level. Hes quick, scores on his own counter attacking, poaches, gets goals from range, does have a link up side to his game that he showed yesterday. Not one dimensional like Rhodes was/is. Got so many tools.

But... I've got a nagging feeling he will bomb at PL level. Lacks physicality, not quite clinical enough, feels like good prem defenders will sideline him easily. But then again people said that about Bamford and he has thrived. I guess you don't really know till it happens.

I wasn't one of them. Bamford has always had the technical skills for PL football and has improved on work-rate and basically giving back what he gets, physically.

SG looks a different player, even winning his aerial challenges out wide.

BB is improving, I've praised his work rate for a while.

I concur on Armstrong, he would struggle at PL level in any team that does not create a lot of chances.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I wasn't one of them. Bamford has always had the technical skills for PL football and has improved on work-rate and basically giving back what he gets, physically.

SG looks a different player, even winning his aerial challenges out wide.

BB is improving, I've praised his work rate for a while.

I concur on Armstrong, he would struggle at PL level in any team that does not create a lot of chances.

Gallagher’s ok jumping against full backs, he’s not so hot when he’s up against a big guy.

I agree with your thoughts on Armstrong. He needs 3 chances for every goal, he won’t get that many in the Premier League playing for the teams he’s been linked with.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Gallagher’s ok jumping against full backs, he’s not so hot when he’s up against a big guy.

I agree with your thoughts on Armstrong. He needs 3 chances for every goal, he won’t get that many in the Premier League playing for the teams he’s been linked with.

He would with West Ham atm

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blondie said:

All yesterday proved was, against poor sides who play openly, our counter-attacking style is to be admired.

However as seen in the latter stages of the season, after the false dawn, we still cannot break down sides who drop deep.

A plan B is required, which Mowbray has blatantly been unable to organise.

Big leap of faith to keep his as manager, still dining off Lg 1 promotion.

I think plan B is punting the ball in Gallagher's general direction.

4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Missed the game yesterday, can anyone tell me how Evans, Rothwell and Travis played?

Evans played DM and did very well. Rothwell was his usual good self but I thought his season was finished when he slipped on a heavily watered Ewood pitch. I thought he had done his groin.

Travis nearly had the team down to 10 men when he stupidly barged in to their player in their half of the field early in the first half. After that he was quiet but ok. He needs a good coach for advice as does Nyambe.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

To put the arse end of a football season into perspective the Dingles have scored 4 away without conceding.

I watched the game and feel comfortable saying we would have beaten Wolves today. They were absolutely shocking, I dont remember seeing a worse team performance in Premiership. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I watched the game and feel comfortable saying we would have beaten Wolves today.

Would we.shyte.  Our 6 fingered friends have decent full backs and very good central defenders.  That stocky lad would run through us at will, at will.

I take your view on wolves today though...off colour....nuno needs a change and if I were spurs I'd have a look...Good contact book

5 hours ago, bazza said:

Evans played DM and did very well. Rothwell was his usual good self but I thought his season was finished when he slipped on a heavily watered Ewood pitch. I thought he had done his groin.

Travis nearly had the team down to 10 men when he stupidly barged in to their player in their half of the field early in the first half. After that he was quiet but ok. He needs a good coach for advice as does Nyambe.

TBH I could not understand why the pitch had been watered so much.

It's basically under self repair at present, apart from surface care, after an awful season and was cutting up divots as well as being slippery. Rothwell was indeed lucky not to do serious damage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Would we.shyte.  Our 6 fingered friends have decent full backs and very good central defenders.  That stocky lad would run through us at will, at will.

I take your view on wolves today though...off colour....nuno needs a change and if I were spurs I'd have a look...Good contact book

I may of exaggerated a touch but it could of been 7 or 8 nil. I watch most of the Burnley Sunday games hoping they get beat and I have never seen them completely dominant another team like they did today. Wolves were embarrassing.

• Like 1

A lot of teams just seem to switch off this time of year, job done. Disgraceful really but always been the case i suppose. It's amazing though how we just suddenly seem to switch on.

There's no motivation here for promotion or top 6 it's like they all just accept it. Then suddenly it's out of sight, there's no pressure, hols to look forward to and moves / contracts to be earned.

some of them ought to be ashamed of themselves and i don't just mean on the pitch.