BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) 11/9/21

What can I say that hasn’t already been said. Same mistakes , same Mowbray, same outcome

As soon as magloire came on I turned to the guy next me and said it will finish 2 all this, as I assume many of you did and guess what, I did . How did we all know this was going to happen ? Because it’s a rinse repeat performance from a manager so far out of his depth and detached from reality that it was inevitable. If your playing a team lumping balls forward why bring a kid on and sit back and allow it to happen . It was always going to end in disaster. It wasn’t the first time we’ve seen this and it won’t be the last. 

As an advocate and long time backer of the Sam Gallagher through the middle project I think it’s time to hold my hands up and admit I got that one wrong. He didn’t win a header, he has an appalling first touch, absolutely zero vision, isn’t the best finisher and no hold up play. He stopped everything progressing today and i just don’t think he’s good enough to lead the line, he’s never been a right sided forward so the only solace that leaves him is on the bench and a five million pound hole in the budget. 

Brereton did some good chasing balls and outmuscling the defender to keep possession but is still a pretty poor player who does little else with any effectiveness

Rothwell drove well and has improved but still lacking any end product 

so positives 

I thought nyambe was excellent today and only bettered by the immense Dolan who was fantastic. Put a shift in , took his goal well and give the fans some glimmer of excitement with his samba style.

Pickering played well but still doesn’t fill me with confidence. Excellent finish though. 

Everyone ready to go again in a few days time with it live on the sky cameras, thought not, however the only thing worse than being there to witness things like today is listening to the sky people talk about Mowbray like he’s the new bielsa. 

the choices are as limited as our transfer short list 

happy Saturday guys 🙄

• Like 2

Lots of talk about the ref, he was poor and had little control but obsessing about him removes the accountability, we didnt draw that game because of the ref. We benefitted more than Luton from him because we should have had 10 men for 80 minutes, Lenihan's challenge was disgraceful.

Gallagher put in as bad a performance as I can remember from a central striker. I have read a lot of unsubstantiated bollocks about him being a competent Championship striker "wasted" on the wing, today showed what he is about. Doesn't win flick ons, doesn't hold the ball up, horrendous first touch, clumsy, cant finish, thick as pig shit. Did nothing right. 

Brereton had a mixed day, he certainly isnt the saviour that a goal against Bolivia may have fooled people into thinking, although he has unlike Gallagher shown noticeable improvement, using his body, bringing others into play etc. Both of them were piss poor with the chance at the end. I thought Dolan had as good a game as he ever has, good goal and really gave their winger a torrid time, although a stupid dive wasted a good attack. Travis was off the pace and could have cost us a goal, Rothwell was poor and kept running into traffic and Buckley again was very quiet.

Defensively, another game without a clean sheet without any stand out poor performers. Pickering looks a big question mark defensively, he is targeted because he is so slow, good goal though. Ayala is the best of the 2 in the middle and dealt with most things dealt with minimal fuss, Lenihan so poor on the ball and lucky to be sent off but deals with most things too, and Nyambe was fine. Kaminski his usual self, helpless for the goals, one good save, poor kicking.

Mowbray got his subs horribly wrong, the 5 at the back nonsense needs to stop especially when Magloire comes on, he is so poor and so far away from Championship standard, summed up by how badly he misjudged that header early on. How with 3 centre backs do they score like they did, in the middle of the box deep into injury time, 6 yards out? Davenport was anonymous really too.

I think that the day that pride is my primary feeling coming off throwing a 2 goal lead away to Luton is the day that I have started to lose interest.

• Like 4

The referees performance will inevitably dilute Mowbrays inadequacies but he was as equally poor for both teams. Lenihan should have been sent off early on for an over the top challenge which endangered the Luton players safety which set the tone for an indisciplined game which threatened to boil over several times. The weakness of the referee was highlighted many times as he frustrated players, officials and fans from both teams in equal measure.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

He's absolutely using his failures in the transfer window to frame each game we collapse in as "being happy we fought for a point". In no way should a Rovers fan be happy with yet another capitulation. 

I would love to know the amount of times we have blown not just a lead, but a lead of 2 goals+ under his management.

Tell me…how can ANY stake holder have anything other than contempt for this appalling piece of utter embarrassment… 

Any player ?.Any coach at what ever level or age group?
Any one involved in the administration of the club ? 
Any one who finances the club ? 
Anyone on the payroll ?
Any real fan ?

The man is FINISHED …the only problem for our proud club…he’s finished, drawing payment from our proud club  and dragging our proud club further into the mire ..SHAME on you Mowbray 

• Like 2

Bringing Maglore on was such a mistake. We didn’t need to go to 3 at the back and the lads not good enough for this level. Was run circles around 2 weeks ago and was poor today too. Not his fault, but it’s clear he’s not cut out for it and the manager should see it and leave him on the touch line. 

Dolan is also a frustrating player. Bags of trucks but no idea when to use them. Time and time again he slows the play down with needless touches. Hell be much more effective when he learns when to play quick and when to use he’s gifts. 

travis non existent, Rothwell produced very little, and the forwards were disasters. 

Naymbe gets beat for a goal, Lenihan should have been sent off. 

looking at the players performances and the managers tactics we should be thanking our stars we got a point. 

• Like 1

Nothing we haven't seen before dozens of times in the last 4 years. Same manager same patterns to things same things happen.

Trying to kill a game off and using your attacking talent you've been collecting OR fiddle about with it. Something you keep trying to make work whilst using it as an exercise to get some mins into some other players.

Ref was the worst by a country mile seen in years at Ewood for both sides really. Cramp was the least karma could serve him.

Game and points thrown away today, excuse ready made all season though for that very crafty guy in the dugout.....Young team young team young team.

Still told what to do by the same guy though, complicating straight forward things. Not what you should be doing with such a young side !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Took me seven year old Grandson to his first ever game, so we had three generations of Rovers fans at the match.

I thought the first 20 mins were poor, but the two goals livened things up and at half time, it felt comfortable.

it was clear that the third goal was going to be crucial and we did look like me might get it. Once they scored it felt inevitable that we would throw at least two points away. I thought the ref getting injured helped them not us and sure enough the dreaded equaliser came. I thought both defences were poor and also very nervous.

Dolan was quite rightly man of the match and despite his pace, I think we have a good footballer in Pickering.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lraC said:

Took me seven year old Grandson to his first ever game, so we had three generations of Rovers fans at the match.

I thought the first 20 mins were poor, but the two goals livened things up and at half time, it felt comfortable.

it was clear that the third goal was going to be crucial and we did look like me might get it. Once they scored it felt inevitable that we would throw at least two points away. I thought the ref getting injured helped them not us and sure enough the dreaded equaliser came. I thought both defences were poor and also very nervous.

Dolan was quite rightly man of the match and despite his pace, I think we have a good footballer in Pickering.

Was a good game to take your grandson too, a very lively 2nd half. Hopefully he has caught the bug!

• Like 1

Devastating end to the game, but some of the people on here need to get a grip. We're ninth in the table, we were sixth at half time and although we lost at the end we clearly looked the better team (not saying much tbf as Luton were awful).

I see quite a few of you believing Mowbray will be sacked in the morning. I'm not Mowbray's biggest fan, but that will never happen. If anything the start of the season has been better than expected. If and when we go on another death spiral it's high time to get rid, but until then try to calm down just a notch with the hate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Lots of talk about the ref, he was poor and had little control but obsessing about him removes the accountability, we didnt draw that game because of the ref. We benefitted more than Luton from him because we should have had 10 men for 80 minutes, Lenihan's challenge was disgraceful.

Gallagher put in as bad a performance as I can remember from a central striker. I have read a lot of unsubstantiated bollocks about him being a competent Championship striker "wasted" on the wing, today showed what he is about. Doesn't win flick ons, doesn't hold the ball up, horrendous first touch, clumsy, cant finish, thick as pig shit. Did nothing right. 

Brereton had a mixed day, he certainly isnt the saviour that a goal against Bolivia may have fooled people into thinking, although he has unlike Gallagher shown noticeable improvement, using his body, bringing others into play etc. Both of them were piss poor with the chance at the end. I thought Dolan had as good a game as he ever has, good goal and really gave their winger a torrid time, although a stupid dive wasted a good attack. Travis was off the pace and could have cost us a goal, Rothwell was poor and kept running into traffic and Buckley again was very quiet.

Defensively, another game without a clean sheet without any stand out poor performers. Pickering looks a big question mark defensively, he is targeted because he is so slow, good goal though. Ayala is the best of the 2 in the middle and dealt with most things dealt with minimal fuss, Lenihan so poor on the ball and lucky to be sent off but deals with most things too, and Nyambe was fine. Kaminski his usual self, helpless for the goals, one good save, poor kicking.

Mowbray got his subs horribly wrong, the 5 at the back nonsense needs to stop especially when Magloire comes on, he is so poor and so far away from Championship standard, summed up by how badly he misjudged that header early on. How with 3 centre backs do they score like they did, in the middle of the box deep into injury time, 6 yards out? Davenport was anonymous really too.

I think that the day that pride is my primary feeling coming off throwing a 2 goal lead away to Luton is the day that I have started to lose interest.

Buckley wasn’t quiet at all he was all over them winning the ball back constantly. Got a round of applause for his tireless efforts pressing high on three occasions. Had a hand in the second goal too. Agenda this.

15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Buckley wasn’t quiet at all he was all over them winning the ball back constantly. Got a round of applause for his tireless efforts pressing high on three occasions. Had a hand in the second goal too. Agenda this.

he was the only one who was holding the ball,it was a big mistake taking him off,he was having a decent game,id`e have hauled travis off tbh

19 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Best midfielder of the three according to the match centre ratings. Only 5.8/10, mind. 

15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I thought Buckley was one of our better performers.

I think it is interesting that we blame going 5 at the back for our demise. I would equally point at our forwards who wasted numerous chances and good breaks. It is a match we should have put to bed long before they scored.

I also look at the penalty we should have got when Dolan was mysteriously yellow carded.

Whether Lenihans rash challenge (being polite) wound them up - Luton are the dirtiest team I have seen for some time. Over the match the game should have ended up 10 v 8 based on the red cards that should have been.

Well I think I have just about calm down now after today's game. 

I thought Rovers played for the first 65 minutes and I felt comfortable and we were the only team going to win. We scored 2 well worked goals and was pleased with our play and we had enough chances to get a third. But then we allowed back into the game with a soft goal. 

I am lost for my words why Mowbray decided to chance formation and just have 2 centre midfielders instead of 3. The 4-3-3- formation was working good and we looked dangerous. I don't know why he does it must games. I would bought on Butterworth or Khadra for Gallagher just before the first Luton goal. Bringing on Maglorie was a massive mistake as we were inviting more pressure. 

I thought Dolan and Buckley was good today and Dolan deserved MOTM today. 

I have zero time for their manager Nathan Jones and I thought his antics and touchline behaviour was embarrassing and pathetic. 

on the Ref performance, it was embarrassing and to be honest it was appalling. He never control of the game after a couple of months  and its about time the EFL and FA improve the standard of referring in this country. simply not good. I would go into more detail buts to be honest it would far too long post. 

I believe Dolan was clip and should have a penalty awarded second half and not a dive or yellow card according to Andy Bayes and Mark Atkins who seen replays of it

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

Luton are a difficult side to deal with. I wasn't confident of a win in advance of the game because if you look through their away form they don't lose that many. I think their manager is one of the most loathsome individuals in football but he has clearly instilled an attitude in his team that they don't give in. Only a few weeks ago they looked well beaten at West Brom but came back with two late goals to set up a nervy finish.

So having got ourselves in the driving seat and supposedly in control at half time it was especially frustrating to watch that second half unfold. 

I don't think we were ever really in control of the game. Even at 2-0 I wasn't confident of us holding on. I very rarely am under this manager. Others have referenced it - I don't think he has a clue how to manage games out and keep hold of leads. I'm not just talking tactical decisions and substitutions. I'm talking about mentality and gamesmanship. As an example - taking free kicks quickly because this thing supposedly suits our game, yet from my viewing more often it results in the opposition winning possession back quickly and breaking causing us problems. I'd rather see us waste time away on free kicks. 

When we went to Luton season before last all their ball boys disappeared once they were ahead. Yet we are happy to keep the game moving quickly. There needs to be more of the dark arts but Mowbray thinks he is too good and too nice for that.

On the occasions we do hold on I think it is as much down to wastefulness from the opposition and good fortune than it is good management. I've lost count of the number of times we've been hanging on desperately protecting a 1 goal lead at Ewood - even against poor League One sides - never calm, comfortable or organised. It is a recurring theme despite different leagues, opposition and players at our disposal. Comes back to the common denominator - the dugout.

So not in the slightest surprised to see the equaliser come. More a case of when rather than if and at best we were going to camp in our penalty area and do the usual routine hoping to eke out the last few minutes.

I've seen people say that the dropped points are why we won't be a play-off team. That used to be the case perhaps but I'm more concerned with getting to 50 points and don't think we are going to have an easy time getting there so letting 2 slip at home in the last minute is a major concern. We might be regretting these come May if we are fighting the drop.

Boring Mowbray has all his excuses ready to go. Presumably nothing at all to do with his changes and tactics and everything to do with the players not understanding his tactical genius and the referee causing us problems. 

Having seen the Lenihan one again we got away with one big time there. After the dust has settled and the pain subsided I'll watch their equaliser again because there seems to be an issue there defensively that I would not expect with 3 CBs in the middle and trying to protect a 1 goal lead.

In the end this is Mowbray's way. Used to it now and it won't change so I'm past the point of getting annoyed about it.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

Glad to see Dolan play and score. I thought he and Buckley would be demoted by Mowbray's Premier League youth signings. Whilst Gallagher central may not have worked well today, we have to stick with playing a centre forward.

Rather than signing both Khadra and Poveda (the latter didn't make it on the bench) we desperately needed a big, strong defensive midfielder to support Travis. Today's game would've been ideal to bring on an upgrade on Davenport to screen the defence. Maybe, that way, you don't need to panic and shift to three centre backs against Luton Town.

I strongly believe that with our failing management we're on course for another lower league finish - perhaps, similar to the 15th of last season. However, a serious injury or two to Kaminski, Travis, Lenihan or Ayala and I think we will be in the relegation zone. The Brighton loanee defender, when fit, might be crucial this year.

Edited by riverholmes

30 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

Devastating end to the game, but some of the people on here need to get a grip. We're ninth in the table, we were sixth at half time and although we lost at the end we clearly looked the better team (not saying much tbf as Luton were awful).

I see quite a few of you believing Mowbray will be sacked in the morning. I'm not Mowbray's biggest fan, but that will never happen. If anything the start of the season has been better than expected. If and when we go on another death spiral it's high time to get rid, but until then try to calm down just a notch with the hate.

So much wrong in that statement.

For a start we didn’t lose.

Even so Mowbray is useless and nothing will change that. It’s pretty clear he’s stuck in his ways and too stubborn to change. Or he may just be thick. Either way he needs to go.

• Like 1