BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) 11/9/21

33 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

To properly improve, we really need to replace this kind of player, not merely the ones who've just left out of contract. Imagine that team with Harwood Bellis next to Ayala, Cunningham at LB and an out-and-out striker like the next Billy Sharp or someone. I honestly believe that team would be in with a chance...

We're not a million miles away but we lack the will to make that final push. Let's see what next season brings.

Next season! We’ve only just started this one. But it doesn’t matter what season it is, or who’s on the pitch - we’ll never do anything under Mid-table Mowbray. That was obvious well before last season but let’s not forget we came 15th with 29 goal Armstrong and a player now starting for Liverpool as part of our front three.

Just on Harwood-Bellis, I agree he’s decent, but he played pretty much all the games of our 2 wins in 17 run second half of last season. Cunningham is just a Championship standard LB.

The squad has some gaping holes but the main place we’re short is in the dugout.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

Re Travis and his performances, not been anywhere near the same player since his injury last season, You would think he would have by now regained some sort of consistency --- well he has consistently poor.  He's looking more like the Jason Lowe player of yesteryear i'm afraid to say.

I agree.

I've never seen anything in Travis other than endeavour. He doesn't create going forward and he can't defend. He does try hard and puts in the odd crunching tackle and I believe he cares more than a lot of players but he contributes little, sadly.

Edited by Crimpshrine
  • Like 4

still gutted this morning we didn't win yesterday after being 2 nil and playing so well for the 65 minutes. 

I'm still think we shouldn't change formation and it was one of the reasons we lost cos we were left man short in centre midfield and our defending for both goals wasn't good enough and the second goal is such a mess defensively and I would have expected Lenihan and Ayala to be more desire and take control of winning the header for the cross and Travis for allowing their Luton player Berry to run off him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I'm still angry about yesterday but the thing that is really grating with me is the lack of contrition from Mowbray. Over the last four years I have seen us throw many leads away but yesterday was a watershed as it was so apparent who cost us the points. On the bus home lots were blaming Mowbray, lots who I have never heard offer any criticism of him previously.

If he came out and admitted his errors I would respect him more. As it is he is heading into an utter contempt zone from me.

If he doesn’t know when he’s making mistakes then he can’t ever fix them. If he does know then be honest about it. That doesn’t mean come out publically every time,  but be honest at least to the players. I doubt very much that he does that, but for certain the players will be questioning his tactics.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Honestly, I don't think Nyambe's heart has been fully in it for a while now. Can't say I totally blame him, the manager has been a joke with him. If I were him, and not a Rovers fan, I'd have put in a transfer request a while ago.

This isn't true, Mowbray starts him most games and if his "heart isn't in it" he's totally unprofessional. Sounds like excuses being made for him to me. Don't understand why. 

Like when has Nyambe been as good as some make out? It's always that's he's going to get good, he's going to improve defensively, he's going to improve in the air, he's going to improve positionally. He hasn't though and of anything he's gone backwards. 

Now it's moved to "oh it's the managers fault he has downed tools". It's just nonsense. It's on Nyambe and Nyambe alone and he's not anywhere near as good as some on here try and make out. He's not going to turn into Cafu under a different manager I'm afraid to say. 

His positioning for their goal was appalling. Get goal side. You learn that under 8. Not sure what he thought he could achieve defensively when that ball came in. He was all over the shop. If Gallagher and Brereton get slated for missing chances, Nyambe deserves the same. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bazza said:

I'm sure there wasn't 3 minutes of stoppage time after the game resumed to play out the minimum of 5 minutes of added time.

There was. Ref injured bang on 90 minutes. Game doesnt restart until in the 93rd minute.

8 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I agree.

I've never seen anything in Travis other than endeavour. He doesn't create going forward and he can't defend. He does try hard and puts in the odd crunching tackle and I believe he cares more than a lot of players but he contributes little, sadly.

He does not consistently try hard, that's his problem. His not tracking back time and time again is leading to more and more issues. He's our defensive midfielder who can't be bothered with the defensive bit.

He's been crap since his injury, but he's been back six months now. It's no longer an excuse. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hasta said:

There was. Ref injured bang on 90 minutes. Game doesnt restart until in the 93rd minute.

If something happens in a game whereby the ref has to take both teams off into the dressing room and they come back on 20 minutes later, are you telling me that at the end of the 90 minutes 20 minutes minimum will be added on?

To me the ref on the deck time was the same scenario. Perhaps I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, bazza said:

If something happens in a game whereby the ref has to take both teams off into the dressing room and they come back on 20 minutes later, are you telling me that at the end of the 90 minutes 20 minutes minimum will be added on?

To me the ref on the deck time was the same scenario. Perhaps I'm wrong.

The five minutes should be started from when the new ref blows for kick off. We should never have been in the position of hanging on. Don't make excuses for our poor ability to see out a game. 

• Like 1

The board for 5 minutes injury time went up during the stoppage when the referee was on the floor. So the time shouldn't start until play has resumed which on my clock was 3 minutes 30 seconds into added time. They scored comfortably within the 5 minutes allocated. No complaints from me.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

As I posted in the Boro match thread, I listened to the BBC Radio Lancs commentary for the game who had our former striker Danny Graham who was praising Gallagher and his performance. Also spoken to a number of other fans who attended the game and also praised him. 

on his performance, He did hold the ball up and lay it off for second Rovers goal which you have missed out. 

You can blame Gallagher for us not being able to keep the ball out of the our half for long but I would look at the entire team for that. Yes he should have scored yestertday

Buckley played a key pass in the ball to Nyambe for him to cross to Dolan. But for me, his all round game is much improved and is starting to become a key player going forward. He won the ball on several occasions. Also in the second half he tracked their right back run when Brereton and Pickering were both out of position. 

So no then, you listened to the punditry of someone who is obviously a friend of Gallagher and who played with him, so will be reluctant to criticise him.

His goal at Boro was excellent and if a striker scores he justifies his place, but the same limitations were there. He can't hold the ball up, his first touch is horrendous, he can't link the play, he is clumsy and technically very poor and his decision making is really poor, he showed all of these signs again yesterday, all summed up when he went into the corner for that counter attack, perhaps an argument could be made for that being a sensible choice, but he then predictably instantly lost it and gave away a foul. When the ball goes up to him, he cant use his body properly, he rarely wins headers and even if he makes contact he rarely does so to the benefit of the team. He has no intelligence, he is thick. What can he do? Very little.

Yesterday, his missed chance was not even what frustrated me. His general performance was just abysmal with nothing positive to cling on to.

He is a poor striker and this idea that he would thrive once given a run down the middle is bollocks, sadly for us as we need him to play well due to a lack of alternatives. 5 million down the drain.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

So no then, you listened to the punditry of someone who is obviously a friend of Gallagher and who played with him, so will be reluctant to criticise him.

I listened to an ex professional who was a striker and knows the position better than most. His commetary was open, honest and great to listen to. Same as Mark Atkins. 

Others I spoke to who went to the game also said Gallagher had a good game are wrong aswell but you are right?

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He can't hold the ball up, his first touch is horrendous, he can't link the play, he is clumsy and technically very poor and his decision making is really poor, he showed all of these signs again yesterday, 

But didn't he hold the ball up and lay it off in the build up for the second goal yesterday? 

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yesterday, his missed chance was not even what frustrated me. His general performance was just abysmal with nothing positive to cling on to.

He should have scored yesterday but his overall performance wasn't the bad but for me plenty to cling on to from past performance like the Boro or Swansea ones. Which you overlooked again.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is a poor striker and this idea that he would thrive once given a run down the middle is bollocks

Good to know you written him off. 

I really hope he scores against Hull and has good performance to prove you wrong. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I listened to an ex professional who was a striker and knows the position better than most. His commetary was open, honest and great to listen to. Same as Mark Atkins. 

Others I spoke to who went to the game also said Gallagher had a good game are wrong aswell but you are right?

But didn't he hold the ball up and lay it off in the build up for the second goal yesterday? 

He should have scored yesterday but his overall performance wasn't the bad but for me plenty to cling on to from past performance like the Boro or Swansea ones. Which you overlooked again.

Good to know you written him off. 

I really hope he scores against Hull and has good performance to prove you wrong. 

So do I.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tonyoz said:

Thanks for the long, considered post. I can’t agree with the Gallagher comment though. I fear the screamer he scored recently will keep him in contention for a few more months but it is likely to be the goal of his career I fear. He is wooden and there is no cure.

As regards the 170 pound rip off………spot on.

The screamer and the fact he’s our only senior center forward in the side with any experience 

Edited by yankfan
Grammar
  • Like 1

After 24 hours to reflect on the result, I go back to the best form of defense is attack. If we had come out for the second half, with the mentality that it was 0-0 gone for the jugular, we would have won the game.

Its down to the manager to ensure the attitude is right, so come what may, that’s the reason we didn’t kill the game off. Luton were second best and we simply gave them the impetus to peg us back.

O could probably stomach it, but know that lessons won’t be learnt and we will go on to do it again, in the near future.

4 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I agree.

You must have been watching a different game to me. I thought he was fantastic yesterday. Great engine, fantastic reading of the game and brilliant at breaking up their attacks. 

Second name on the team sheet for me, after our GK. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frosty said:

Next season! We’ve only just started this one. But it doesn’t matter what season it is, or who’s on the pitch - we’ll never do anything under Mid-table Mowbray. That was obvious well before last season but let’s not forget we came 15th with 29 goal Armstrong and a player now starting for Liverpool as part of our front three.

Just on Harwood-Bellis, I agree he’s decent, but he played pretty much all the games of our 2 wins in 17 run second half of last season. Cunningham is just a Championship standard LB.

The squad has some gaping holes but the main place we’re short is in the dugout.

It's always hard to come across correctly online but this was really my point. This season is a write-off because Mowbray is still here. We need someone new and we all know that won't happen until at least next summer.

A decent LB is all I ask for rather than the 'weak link' players we've had recently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

His goal at Boro was excellent and if a striker scores he justifies his place, but the same limitations were there. He can't hold the ball up, his first touch is horrendous, he can't link the play, he is clumsy and technically very poor and his decision making is really poor, he showed all of these signs again yesterday, all summed up when he went into the corner for that counter attack, perhaps an argument could be made for that being a sensible choice, but he then predictably instantly lost it and gave away a foul. When the ball goes up to him, he cant use his body properly, he rarely wins headers and even if he makes contact he rarely does so to the benefit of the team. He has no intelligence, he is thick. What can he do? Very little.

He is a poor striker and this idea that he would thrive once given a run down the middle is bollocks, sadly for us as we need him to play well due to a lack of alternatives. 5 million down the drain.

Spot on summary of the "striker" called Gallagher. Frankly he is a donkey - end of 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

There’s some ridiculous slating of Nyambe going on. Granted, it’s mostly from people who have stated they only watched very limited highlights.

I know it’s the done thing these days to attribute blame for every goal we concede to a single player, but singling out Nyambe for their first is lazy at best. We didn’t deal with big switch, then let their man waltz around and put in a really dangerous ball. It’s horrendous defending a ball like that as you are moving towards your own goal, and the forward player is always favourite!

Nyambe has had his critics since he broke into the side as a 17 year old, and many of the people who were critical of him then stubbornly and inexplicably remain so. To claim he has made no improvement, lacks effort, or has never had a performance above mediocre is fucking ridiculous, frankly.

Why aren’t any of the other nearly dozen out of contract players being questioned over their commitment? I know Pickering was anointed by the local press and others as the answer to all our problems, and there are some really encouraging signs with him, but defensively there are a few questions, which is absolutely fine considering he’s just played just his 6th game at this level. We were far more solid down our right hand side than our left yesterday, as we usually are

Agreed.

I thought Nyambe had a good game yesterday and I wasn't left thinking that either goal was particularly down to him yesterday.

Overall I'd say he is our best outfield player, unless you could get Dack back to what he was pre injury that is.

Either way he's certainly bottom of our list of problems or top of it if we're talking about the contract situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riverside under the drip said:

It's always hard to come across correctly online but this was really my point. This season is a write-off because Mowbray is still here. We need someone new and we all know that won't happen until at least next summer.

Every season is a write-off until Venkys leave Riverside. Mowbray is well past his sell by date and still we trundle on like nothings wrong.

Nothing improves until the owners crawl back under the rock, it’s been this way for 11yrs and counting. 

Neil Warnock called it - I spoke to one club, but they don’t know what they’re doing, I agree Neil.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 7