BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

28 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

I actually think BBD has improved his all-round game this season, not just his finishing. More often than not he has good control of the ball, and more often than not he has the beating of most defenders. Last season was the opposite, and I think still is for Gally. 

I agree Gally is having a reasonable season, but I still don't trust him to be able to retain possession of the ball, especially if there is an opposing player within 3 metres of him. Often he isn't tackled, but still contrives to lose the ball. We can't afford that from any player, if we expect to stay in the top 4. 

He is improving this season, but if we have to start him regularly, I predict we will end up eighth. 

As always, I hope I'm wrong and he does a BBD.

Disagree about BBD last season - for me this is when he started to show why TM paid so much money for him.

Regarding Gallagher - I can see why TM thinks Gallagher could score 20 if played as an out and out forward. Not saying his first touch or decision making would be any better though.

The big question is why TM bought these players to basically play out of position. Yes BBD has come good - but IMO this is more fate than good planning by TM.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Disagree about BBD last season - for me this is when he started to show why TM paid so much money for him.

Regarding Gallagher - I can see why TM thinks Gallagher could score 20 if played as an out and out forward. Not saying his first touch or decision making would be any better though.

The big question is why TM bought these players to basically play out of position. Yes BBD has come good - but IMO this is more fate than good planning by TM.

Who knows other than TM , but systems change , had a budget to spend and forwards better investment, have options, lack of youth coming through in the positions,  players progressing differently to expected ....

Seemed mad when we needed a defence etc but at least its working out OK with a profit on the moves . 

46 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I respect that, disagree.  Do you think he is deserving of a new contract?  Just my opinion he is not.  I will agree he runs around  a lot and puts in the effort but he really is not very good at all.  

Probably a coincindence our best football has come with him not in the team.

His all round game is good look at his defending a couple of games back blocking a goal bound effort ! He does contribute to the team ethic. You only have to watch him in the pitch 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J*B said:

It’s all go in the Champ. WBA get their striker. 

Dike from Orlando. Surprised it a permanent move not a loan. Guess Hugill will go back

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

The same was said of BBD and look what has happened with him after the departure of AA

Yes it was. Brereton improved last season alot and since the first lockdown he has improve and improve. His all round game as improve and now such a key player for our team

48 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Nixon tweeting that Sam Burns is going to Scunthorpe on loan for rest of season

Hope he gets plenty of game time there and can perform well enough under Keith Hill there. 

54 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

I actually think BBD has improved his all-round game this season, not just his finishing. More often than not he has good control of the ball, and more often than not he has the beating of most defenders. Last season was the opposite, and I think still is for Gally. 

I agree Gally is having a reasonable season, but I still don't trust him to be able to retain possession of the ball, especially if there is an opposing player within 3 metres of him. Often he isn't tackled, but still contrives to lose the ball. We can't afford that from any player, if we expect to stay in the top 4. 

He is improving this season, but if we have to start him regularly, I predict we will end up eighth. 

As always, I hope I'm wrong and he does a BBD.

I do think that Brereton's game is developing all the time and it certainly wasnt a dig at him, and he certainly is more rounded than Gallagher even before considering goal tallies.

I just think that Brereton and Armstrong are not in different leagues when it comes to their all round game as some would have you believe, even though they are slightly different. Brereton is growing into his body all the time and is becoming stronger, and he also can win fouls. Both are fast but Armstrong was slightly faster and also technically better than Brereton who can be (effectively) cumbersome at times, take his winner the other night which came after a poor initial touch. Armstrong actually had a few assists last year (last time I checked Brereton had one) and could bring others in to play, I remember the goal away at Boro last season, a goal he set up for Gallagher v Huddersfield and one against Barnsley in which he squared it for Dack to tap in.

Work rate. Armstrong persona

The thing is invariably you find that once you add more than one serious goal threat, anyones goal threat will be maximised if they are the main man and there was so much talk about how we were geared to Armstrong last season, we have the same with Brereton this whereby he carries the majority of our goal threat with everyone else well behind. To have any striker scoring so much is a massive asset and for most teams, their main goalscorer would have far less than Brereton/Armstrong therefore it wouldnt look as bad.

I also have never had a serious issue with either Brereton nor Armstrongs work rate, I think one of their main difference is their persona. Brereton is a sensation and comes across really aloof, whereas Armstrong had a more quiet and serious character from the outside, coupled with his best form coming with no fans I think people struggled to warm to him as much. Southampton fans were loving Armstrongs selfless work rate v Spurs.

How good would it be if we had Brereton, Armstrong and Dack in behind, yes there may be an element of them all slightly being reduced as there would be 3 main men but theres a trio that would fire us to promotion!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Nixon tweeting that Sam Burns is going to Scunthorpe on loan for rest of season

If Burns does go on loan, Scunthorpe are getting a cracking player, as long as they are not put off, in playing a short player up front. I think he will worry league two defenders.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

It's our conversion rate that has increased, doubt our number of chances has. What has improved for me is the quality of the chances, which I see as a result of switching to counter attacking. It creates more clear cut chances.

As for Gally, he has the hardest shot at the club. He is fairly quick. He is a physical presence and works hard. Unfortunately he has a touch that would shame a Catholic priest and poor decision making.

😂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The Baggies have signalled their intentions for promotion by splashing £7m on Dike.

Clearly we won’t be spending anything like that, but we can’t remain idle with the likes of Forest already adding to their ranks too. Time to show your latest hand, Venky’s.

Yeah, none of this youth team players from the Premier league carry on....we need proven quality to come in for 6 months.

Time for Jockey and Tesco to get some work done.......🕰

• Like 1

I think most of our transfer budget must go on keeping what we've got, mainly BBD. 

If we can do that, and add a decent striker, plus cover for Nyambe, we must be nailed on for top 6. 

It gets so much more difficult to recruit now that our expectations are so much higher than 2 months ago. It is sooo difficult to seamlessly fit into this line-up now. Who would have thought it?!

Huddersfield is a massive game....

Edited by garnersfags

No complaints from my end if we get to the start of February with what we have. perhaps shuffling Poveda/Clarkson for a couple of replacements IF we use our budget on tying down Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan, Kaminski. Travis to long term deals.

IF we get to February and have not resolved the contractual situation, have not retained this squad and have not strengthened then that will be utterly unacceptable and will do nothing but confirm my long held suspicion that the owners couldn't really care less.

Prove the doubters wrong - do some serious business or at least ensure we are keeping this good squad together.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I do think that Brereton's game is developing all the time and it certainly wasnt a dig at him, and he certainly is more rounded than Gallagher even before considering goal tallies.

I just think that Brereton and Armstrong are not in different leagues when it comes to their all round game as some would have you believe, even though they are slightly different. Brereton is growing into his body all the time and is becoming stronger, and he also can win fouls. Both are fast but Armstrong was slightly faster and also technically better than Brereton who can be (effectively) cumbersome at times, take his winner the other night which came after a poor initial touch. Armstrong actually had a few assists last year (last time I checked Brereton had one) and could bring others in to play, I remember the goal away at Boro last season, a goal he set up for Gallagher v Huddersfield and one against Barnsley in which he squared it for Dack to tap in.

Work rate. Armstrong persona

The thing is invariably you find that once you add more than one serious goal threat, anyones goal threat will be maximised if they are the main man and there was so much talk about how we were geared to Armstrong last season, we have the same with Brereton this whereby he carries the majority of our goal threat with everyone else well behind. To have any striker scoring so much is a massive asset and for most teams, their main goalscorer would have far less than Brereton/Armstrong therefore it wouldnt look as bad.

I also have never had a serious issue with either Brereton nor Armstrongs work rate, I think one of their main difference is their persona. Brereton is a sensation and comes across really aloof, whereas Armstrong had a more quiet and serious character from the outside, coupled with his best form coming with no fans I think people struggled to warm to him as much. Southampton fans were loving Armstrongs selfless work rate v Spurs.

How good would it be if we had Brereton, Armstrong and Dack in behind, yes there may be an element of them all slightly being reduced as there would be 3 main men but theres a trio that would fire us to promotion!

When I think about if a striker can step up to a league the question I always ask is do they have skill, pace or strength to worry a defender at that level.

For me both Armstrong and Brereton look risky as they aren't dominant in any of those areas against Prem quality imo. Someone like Ivan Toney, Mitrovic or Ollie Watkins look a lot more complete imo.

Even with his Ronaldo/Messi like goal tally this year (20 in 24 is absolutely ridiculous) I can see a lot of pause from Prem sides before dropping £20m+ on Brereton. He just isn't quick or strong enough to seem really convincing, and his technique is way below Prem standard.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

No complaints from my end if we get to the start of February with what we have. perhaps shuffling Poveda/Clarkson for a couple of replacements IF we use our budget on tying down Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan, Kaminski. Travis to long term deals.

IF we get to February and have not resolved the contractual situation, have not retained this squad and have not strengthened then that will be utterly unacceptable and will do nothing but confirm my long held suspicion that the owners couldn't really care less.

Prove the doubters wrong - do some serious business or at least ensure we are keeping this good squad together.

Yes only player we need is a right wing back. Otherwise entire focus should be securing the existing squad.

Owners obviously care as they sign off £15m every season. I think probably they have just set some limits they were not prepared to breach.

I can see that changing though as I am sure someone will be sitting down with them and eg. saying Rothwell is probs worth 5-6m now on a long term contract so needs tying down. 

The financial calculus is changing a bit. If be very surprised if we don't up our offers.

• Like 1

It's a delicate balancing act that's for sure.

On term of the contract "rebels", ourr current form makes it both easier to persuade them to sign up (I.e they'd be mad to go elsewhere given our position & their first team action, & if we do go up we may be shopping for bigger fish when they'reout of contract) but also increases their bargaining power too because they've all been so key to us being where we are. I just hope common sense prevails & all parties to staying as their best option, and tbf none of them look desperately unhappy, which must count for something. 

BBD is different of course; for me he stays the rest of the season, no matter what offer comes in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

His all round game is good look at his defending a couple of games back blocking a goal bound effort ! He does contribute to the team ethic. You only have to watch him in the pitch 

The block was excellent, everything else.  His heading is poor, he miscontrols balls coming to him more iften than not, seldom beats a man, has a ooor touch all round.  He has his moments and yes I admit I was too harsh.  Watch him come on and score the winner now.

I maintain giving Gally a fresh contract is not right given circumstances with others.in the squad.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, lraC said:

With the current crowd funding going on to bring the Chilean musician (Renzo music) to a match at Ewood, surely that’s another reason why Big Ben will at least see the season out.

I'm not sure that will play into the clubs decision should a huge bid come in for him to be honest 😆

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, USABlue said:

The block was excellent, everything else.  His heading is poor, he miscontrols balls coming to him more iften than not, seldom beats a man, has a ooor touch all round.  He has his moments and yes I admit I was too harsh.  Watch him come on and score the winner now.

I maintain giving Gally a fresh contract is not right given circumstances with others.in the squad.

People said the exact thing about a guy who just scored 20 goals in 23 appearances.

They also said the same thing before he’d had a consistent run of games.

They also said the same when he was playing out of position.

Perhaps it’s better to be open minded about what SG can achieve if he’s given a fair crack, in his best position, in hope that he won’t be picking up any more niggling injuries.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Nixon reckons we’re back in for Burke at Sheff Utd.

Hopefully it’s rubbish as it’s Nixon, but IF true, then I’d hoped we had much better lined up this time round!!!

I've always rated Burke from early in his career....fell away a bit recently but there's a player in there.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, JBiz said:

People said the exact thing about a guy who just scored 20 goals in 23 appearances.

They also said the same thing before he’d had a consistent run of games.

They also said the same when he was playing out of position.

Perhaps it’s better to be open minded about what SG can achieve if he’s given a fair crack, in his best position, in hope that he won’t be picking up any more niggling injuries.

Even before he turned Chilean, Ben othered something, an outlet if nothing else. Playing Gally is like playing with ten men most of the time. So many times attacks and especially counter attacks break down as soon as he gets the ball. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Nixon reckons we’re back in for Burke at Sheff Utd.

Hopefully it’s rubbish as it’s Nixon, but IF true, then I’d hoped we had much better lined up this time round!!!

Honestly Burke has the potential to be a very good championship striker if a team just game him some confidence. Strong, quick, good on the ball. His career may of fallen off a cliff last last few years - but he actually did a quite decent job in the prem last season. 

Don’t write him off. Would be a decent signing if we can get him cheap - if it’s a loan then that’s poor.

Edited by TruRover
  • Like 6