BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

6 minutes ago, BigBar said:

That's it, Nyambe can play PL football if you ask me, he's a beast and can defi step up. Rothwell may not find it as easy to step up but would definitely be useful in the squad.

Lenihan is one I wouldn't be sure of, reminds me of a Ciaran Clark or Grant Hanley. Fine in the champ but wouldn't be confident of them playing PL football at all. Sometimes you just need players good enough to get you out this division and upgrade once you do.

rothwell would find more space in the premier league,i think he`d find it easier,providing the prospective manager plays him in his correct position,if he goes  to rangers iv`e no doubt he`d score a hatful and probably end up a one cap wonder for england,he`d annihalate defences in scotland

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Well he needs a job more suited to his talents and experience. Him and Benson should be in each other’s roles.

He has been coaching in India and Bangladesh recently. Plus a few spells in the lower leagues. 

Good GK coach 

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Did he get a chance and who (Mowbray or Benson or both) made the call he wasn't for us?

What bits I saw of Fisher at Rovers as he worked his way through the ranks made me think the lad had a chance.  Thought he had the attributes needed - was calm, brave, decisive and agile.  Borne out by the bits I've seen of him on tv whilst at MKD and he looked pretty useful with the ball at his feet!

Someone like @chaddyrovers must surely be able to find some of his highlights.   

I'm sure mercer you are more than capable of finding them yourself

4 hours ago, briansol said:

Played in pre-season and looked shaky. Was decent for the U23. Another reason for letting him was go was Eastham who is a better prospect.

There is also the Greek guy who is a bit of a wild card, big Joe Hilton currently at loan in Scotland, Dowling who played Last U23. In addition Goddard for the U18 is supposwd to be promising. 

For me Eastham looks better than Pears, quite similar to Raya as a keeper. However needs a loan to adapt to senior football. 

We do have alot of keepers on the books. Jordan Eastham looks a very good prospect aswell as Joe Hilton. Plus the Greek guy who seems have decent career before here. 

16 minutes ago, BigBar said:

That's it, Nyambe can play PL football if you ask me, he's a beast and can defi step up. Rothwell may not find it as easy to step up but would definitely be useful in the squad.

Lenihan is one I wouldn't be sure of, reminds me of a Ciaran Clark or Grant Hanley. Fine in the champ but wouldn't be confident of them playing PL football at all. Sometimes you just need players good enough to get you out this division and upgrade once you do.

Again, I agree with all that 100% but I'd still be happy to have Lenihan around.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Pears wont improve by sitting on our bench.If the management genuinly feel that he has something and will develop into a decent keeper then they should be looking for an older steady eddie who will be ok with being number 2.Get Pears a loan move if anyone will have him after that horror show

the reality is that Pears is only at Rovers as his dad is a mate of Mowbrays.  4 year deal handed out to see a 'boro lad right for a few years.  Nowhere near good enough to even make the bench from what's been seen of his abilities so far.  

Farming him out on loan just got a whole heap harder after his 'iron-gloves' display on Saturday,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He has been coaching in India and Bangladesh recently. Plus a few spells in the lower leagues. 

Good GK coach 

I'm sure mercer you are more than capable of finding them yourself

We do have alot of keepers on the books. Jordan Eastham looks a very good prospect aswell as Joe Hilton. Plus the Greek guy who seems have decent career before here. 

I would say Eastham is too short. I have not seen enough of Hilton or the Greek lad to make a decission.

48 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I agree but there doesn't seem many of those about these days that will sit there for less than 10k pwk.

They had mentioned sorting out a loan for Pears before Tommy K got his strain and Pears did ok. Now though i'd suggest would be a really god time for Tony to do the best for his mates boy and farm him out.  His stock won't be too high after Saturday now though so takers with game time on offer might be harder to come by.

Perhaps our owners could sort out a loan to the Indian league, or some country that doesn't have TV?

No one's touching him after his latest display, as it is not his first disaster game. And to think he is on 3-4k a week, the same as some of our academy graduates.

12 minutes ago, unleaded said:

12 minutes ago, unleaded said:

He looked totally lost … His Radar was way off .. Never seen anything like it before ….lucky he’s got Uncle Mowbray to bail him out with a 4 year contract….. 

usual case of jobs for the boys, not what you know but who you know

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

TBH, I'm undecided. I like the fact he has pace and can press from the him. But I would like to see a permanent attacker signing tho in January and not a loan. Plus I don't know the finances involved and whether it would be worth it overall. I do think they is a good player in there just feel that he has made some poor moves in his career already and needs to play for a manager/head coach that with suit his game. 

Who knows but are a couple of extra signings needed. IMO no. 

Its all if's buts and maybe's tbh.

Covid numbers are going down and the self isolation period is likely to be cut to 5 days shortly. meaning less of an impact. 

Pace is no use without an end product and nothing about Burke's career suggests that he does have end product. 

The main 3 priorities have to include a striker, not a winger/number 10 who we try as an experiment to convert into a striker. Someone who can score goals from the right. Im not sure we press particularly much anyway, we tend to sit back and counter a lot of the time, pace is only useful if you can do something at the end of it.

We also need a central midfielder, go past the current 3 and the quality drops off a cliff with Davenport/Johnson and obviously this wing back. We could do with a sub keeper and to loan Pears out, and I think we could do with 1 or 2 extra beyond that to help a skeletal squad.

39 minutes ago, Glosrover said:

the reality is that Pears is only at Rovers as his dad is a mate of Mowbrays.  4 year deal handed out to see a 'boro lad right for a few years.  Nowhere near good enough to even make the bench from what's been seen of his abilities so far.  

Farming him out on loan just got a whole heap harder after his 'iron-gloves' display on Saturday,

Warnock binned him for a reason

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

'Half the stuff I say doesn't come true' - examples please? 

Well, seeing as you have asked, the one that springs immediately to mind is when you announced (as fact) last winter that the Ewood Park under soil heating had been so neglected that it was completely broken, and the club had therefore brought all the frost covers from Brockhall to try and keep the pitch playable for matches. 

A couple of days later it emerged that actually the First Team had been training on Ewood, thanks to the fully functioning under soil heating, and that all the frost covers were in fact still on the Brockhall pitches but hadn't managed to stave off the severe frost. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JBiz said:

As if I’m going to publicly put a name on here of someone who works in football! 

I also agreed with that assertion, to an extent - compared to the Nyambe who initially got into the team, he has improved massively however his technical ability is nowhere near someone like Rothwell or Buckley.

Physically though, he is probably the strongest in the squad, one of the fastest and probably nearly the fittest. Might also explain why he has regular hamstring pulls, because he plays at full throttle.

I would say we missed Pickering just as much at the weekend, but no doubt that would be spun into some “pivot” rather than how much I actually rate both our current fullbacks.

We publicly name people on here who work in football all the time. It's a football forum...

We even have some posters who work in football and they're happy to share their opinions. Not an employee anymore, no need for him to be cautious with what he says about one of our players. But hey, your choice.

4 hours ago, JBiz said:To quote a coach (who has an A license and a stunning CV, including working for Rovers) who I know “RN is an animal but technically he is limited, I’m surprised he’s made it this far”

I don’t actually disagree with this, but I think that’s more of an indictment on where the game is going. 

I think we will see more and more young defenders released by academy sides over the coming years for not being as technically proficient who will go on to establish themselves in the lower leagues before moving back up the pyramid. It’s already quite frequent.

Another discussion for another thread on another day, but there is a real danger technical proficiency is being valued over being able to influence games.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I don’t actually disagree with this, but I think that’s more of an indictment on where the game is going. 

I think we will see more and more young defenders released by academy sides over the coming years for not being as technically proficient who will go on to establish themselves in the lower leagues before moving back up the pyramid. It’s already quite frequent.

Another discussion for another thread on another day, but there is a real danger technical proficiency is being valued over being able to influence games.

For a time though, and perhaps even now - players got into academy’s because they had physical attributes like height and strength, which are harder to teach and develop than short passing.

Look how many players get released for height then end up with a decent career - Tarkowski from us for one example.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

We publicly name people on here who work in football all the time. It's a football forum...

We even have some posters who work in football and they're happy to share their opinions. Not an employee anymore, no need for him to be cautious with what he says about one of our players. But hey, your choice.

The way in which everyone is connected either by people they know or work with, or in the blink of an eye on social media - I think it’s better to leave names out, of anyone who offers me the odd snippet of what’s going on at Ewood.

Or it may be the last! I also take some things with a pinch of salt, because (as you know) most things on players are “subjective” and there is a large grey area.

2 minutes ago, JBiz said:

For a time though, and perhaps even now - players got into academy’s because they had physical attributes like height and strength, which are harder to teach and develop than short passing.

Look how many players get released for height then end up with a decent career - Tarkowski from us for one example.

Oh it’s definitely still a factor. Maturation is a big buzzword. Kids scouted on the back of scoring bucketloads for junior teams having their adult height predicted and being converted to a goalkeeper because of it. Frightening really.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Oh it’s definitely still a factor. Maturation is a big buzzword. Kids scouted on the back of scoring bucketloads for junior teams having their adult height predicted and being converted to a goalkeeper because of it. Frightening really.

Frightening and stupid if you ask me.

Too many experts who become experts before they actually know anything at all they just have the right badges. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The main 3 priorities have to include a striker, not a winger/number 10 who we try as an experiment to convert into a striker. Someone who can score goals from the right. Im not sure we press particularly much anyway, we tend to sit back and counter a lot of the time, pace is only useful if you can do something at the end of it.

We also need a central midfielder, go past the current 3 and the quality drops off a cliff with Davenport/Johnson and obviously this wing back. We could do with a sub keeper and to loan Pears out, and I think we could do with 1 or 2 extra beyond that to help a skeletal squad.

I think in my opinion the 3 main priorities are right wing back, centre midfielder and attacker. 

We don't play with proper strikers unless we change formations or how we play our strikers. 

1 hour ago, Ben Frost said:

Well, seeing as you have asked, the one that springs immediately to mind is when you announced (as fact) last winter that the Ewood Park under soil heating had been so neglected that it was completely broken, and the club had therefore brought all the frost covers from Brockhall to try and keep the pitch playable for matches. 

A couple of days later it emerged that actually the First Team had been training on Ewood, thanks to the fully functioning under soil heating, and that all the frost covers were in fact still on the Brockhall pitches but hadn't managed to stave off the severe frost. 

So there weren't frost covers at Ewood then? I'm sure I can dig some photos out that show there were.