BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

How many players are good enough for the premier

Probably only Ben Brereton is of interest to Premier League clubs. However this is an issue generally across the Championship with very few players likely to attract attention from the Premier League. I had a look at the moves in the January transfer window; a player moved from Derby to Crystal Palace but I think that is to their Under 23 squad. As far as I can tell there was not a single Championship player that moved to a Premier League squad which is a telling indication of the perceived gulf in standards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Probably only Ben Brereton is of interest to Premier League clubs. However this is an issue generally across the Championship with very few players likely to attract attention from the Premier League. I had a look at the moves in the January transfer window; a player moved from Derby to Crystal Palace but I think that is to their Under 23 squad. As far as I can tell there was not a single Championship player that moved to a Premier League squad which is a telling indication of the perceived gulf in standards.

Or, the teams that needed new players, couldn't afford them.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Only taking into account players that actually belong to us...

Whilst he has had made some poor mistakes lately, I think Kaminski would be a reasonable lower-PL goalkeeper. Nyambe is a solid defender but his attacking ability and injury proneness would need to improve at a higher level. Hard to say with the likes of Dack and Brereton, the former due to two severe injuries and lack of pace, whilst the latter still has a lot to prove despite a scorching first half of this season. Buckley has the potential to develop into a PL player if coached correctly and played in a position that plays to his strengths. I think some bulking up would be required. Don't think Rothwell is first team Prem quality personally.

Realistically we'd be looking at close to an entire squad overhaul if we were to somehow get promoted with the current team and actually wanted to make a go of staying up. The likes of Pickering, Wharton, Lenihan, Buckley, Rothwell and Travis could be solid squad options at a higher level but hard to imagine any of them coping week-in week-out in the PL as part of the first team. In terms of quality we are currently nowhere close to a level where we could even slightly hope to avoid the drop if we did go up. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

• Backroom

Van Hecke and Nyambe and that’s your lot IMO

There’s a lot of average players in the Premier League but at present most of ours are a way off sadly 

It is an interesting subject - what makes an effective PL player doesn't necessarily equate to an effective Championship player and vice versa. I think what is telling is the lack of bids from the PL for any of our players.

I think Dyche shows what can be done with average players  - but even their players are now a cut above ours in most (if not all) positions. 

Rothwell would have a chance (not many midfield players can travel with the ball like he can). Diaz would be interesting - especially as his Chile exploits continue. Nyambe would be worth a shot - I could see him playing for a team like Burnley. Wharton and Buckley (poor mans Foden) may develop into lower PL players. Kaminski - possibly, but more likely as good back up. Dolan - may develop into a PL player, but needs to improve to get to that level.

It is a struggle without blue and white glasses to make a case for many.

• Like 2

Sometimes players surprise you and grow with the size of the task but I'm not confident about any of ours currently and, apart from Kaminski, we will lose the most likely ones anyway.

I suspect the centre-back trio would be as good as a few teams near the bottom but 2 will leave presumably.

Bit of a chance with Buckley in the right position. Not one central striker, Brereton might succeed but he'll be off.

I'd be interested to see how Travis coped but not confident.

Dack in peak form could make it but he's been out so long no-one knows how long he will take to get there, if ever.

That's it. Basically we would need a huge overhaul, overseen by a very capable manager, which we don't have and never will have with Venkys.

The most likely outcome of promotion would be complete embarrassment and down by Christmas.

I suppose the silver lining would be parachute payments but they would probably end up where they did before.

No hope really till Venkys are a bad memory.

So different from the last 2 times we went up.

EDIT--Sorry, I've  read it as who could play EPL if we went up, but I'll leave it anyway. More interesting thread imo!

Edited by 47er

Arguably none, but promoted teams often surprise you.

Depends on how you play too. Wes Morgan won the league at Leicester, but he wouldn't have got a game at clubs who played a higher line. A fair few Burnley players would've been exposed too if they weren't playing in Dyche's system in my opinion. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

It is an interesting subject - what makes an effective PL player doesn't necessarily equate to an effective Championship player and vice versa. I think what is telling is the lack of bids from the PL for any of our players.

I think Dyche shows what can be done with average players  - but even their players are now a cut above ours in most (if not all) positions. 

Rothwell would have a chance (not many midfield players can travel with the ball like he can). Diaz would be interesting - especially as his Chile exploits continue. Nyambe would be worth a shot - I could see him playing for a team like Burnley. Wharton and Buckley (poor mans Foden) may develop into lower PL players. Kaminski - possibly, but more likely as good back up. Dolan - may develop into a PL player, but needs to improve to get to that level.

It is a struggle without blue and white glasses to make a case for many.

Burnley is a good example of what quality we would need to begin a PL, player-personnel journey. However, Dyche’s bunch has grown rather long in the tooth. If they are relegated, they would need to go much younger, imo, and might not bounce back up after one season. 

If somehow we make it to PL, from our current squad (I am not including loaners), I could see Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Wharton, Travis, Dack, Bucko, Rothwell, & BB-D on our initial PL venture. We simply wouldn’t have the funds to replace everyone.

I think it all comes down to the Academy for Rovers; we’ve got a good one, we need to continue to invest in it. But, the academy alone isn’t enough to build a squad. Based on some of our acquisitions while in the Championship, I’m not sure our people would make judicious transfers to enable us to compete in the PL, more than one season.

One & done, I’m afraid. But, since I’ve followed Rovers, we haven’t been there. I would still take it, after a 10-year absence. 

• Backroom
13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont reckon that Nyambe is a Premier League player, not even close at this stage. Hes a good Championship player but its a big gap.

I think he’d do a job as a lower premier league right back; not as a wing back for sure though 

• Like 1

Kaminski, so long as his distribution wasn’t relied upon.

Nyambe, in a team that plays with a back 4.

Lenihan in a team that plays 3 centre backs.

Brereton has the physicality and eye for a goal (I would never have believed I’d say that 18 months ago).

Buckley and Wharton possibly with another year under their belts. 

I think Rothwell will end up in the Prem next year, so we may see how he gets on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

IMHO, apart from Fulham who would have to invest in new players to stay in the prem, there are no championship sides who would even compete in the Premier league. 

Kind of sums modern day football up for me. 

If only there was some benefactor who would come along.  Has that ever happened?