BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

because tony was infuriating manager who  played everyone out of position and came up with various systems that confused everyone,he was a poor man manager as well as a poor communicator and coach,he should have got more out of the players he had,the criminal useage of the excellent harrison read,the fact he overspent on brereton and gallagher when he should have bought centre backs instead and then the blaming of mulgrew and raya when the goals against did`nt stop,the continued picking of evans and bennett,when neither of them contributed anything(though bennett was useful when played in midfield,he at least was a good crosser of the ball,he was`nt put there often enough)

all in all i think mowbray was a poor manager who had delusions of grandeur,despite being well backed by the owners he did`nt do much for me,there were dozens of games when the players looked completely confused by his crazy set ups

Exaggerations:

Played everyone out of position

Well backed

Nonsense:

Dozens of games when the players looked completely confused

Bennett was a good crosser!

Overspent on Brereton (impossible to say assuming we will over double our money on him)

Totally fabricated - how could you possibly know these:

Poor man manager

Poor comminicator

Poor coach

Either way, you are entitled to think he seemingly is an appalling manager as much I felt that his tenure here was ok. We both agree that we needed a change and can look to the new reign with excitement. But why is the common fixation to focus on it so much considering the presumed relief you must feel that Mowbray has now gone?!

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Exaggerations:

Played everyone out of position

Well backed

Nonsense:

Dozens of games when the players looked completely confused

Bennett was a good crosser!

Overspent on Brereton (impossible to say assuming we will over double our money on him)

Totally fabricated - how could you possibly know these:

Poor man manager

Poor comminicator

Poor coach

Either way, you are entitled to think he seemingly is an appalling manager as much I felt that his tenure here was ok. We both agree that we needed a change and can look to the new reign with excitement. But why is the common fixation to focus on it so much considering the presumed relief you must feel that Mowbray has now gone?!

on the last three points

could`nt get the best out of a good group of players the whole 5 years of his tenure

listen to  his interviews in the media,ffs imagine listening to him on the training ground

never got his players to buy in to his various madcap team shapes,a decent coach would at least play to his teams strengths,he went the other way and played to their weaknesses!!!!!!

the final words---he`s gone,let him infect someone else team,lets get behind jdt,he at least looks interested and motivated

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

on the last three points

could`nt get the best out of a good group of players the whole 5 years of his tenure

listen to  his interviews in the media,ffs imagine listening to him on the training ground

never got his players to buy in to his various madcap team shapes,a decent coach would at least play to his teams strengths,he went the other way and played to their weaknesses!!!!!!

the final words---he`s gone,let him infect someone else team,lets get behind jdt,he at least looks interested and motivated

Was the group we had better than the 8th best squad in the league? Not sure it was.

I can only take your word that his persona on the training ground is identical to how he handled the press.

I never got the impression that the players didnt like Mowbray or that the team spirit was anything but good. 

Indeed he has gone and lets hope that Tomasson can get us overachieving above our resources and from 8th and into the top 6 this season.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Was the group we had better than the 8th best squad in the league? Not sure it was.

And the squad was 2nd after the January transfer window and Mowbray messed it up just like he did at Boro and Coventry by finishing 8th. They were several people who said this would happen here and they were right and I was wrong which I will admit to. 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I can only take your word that his persona on the training ground is identical to how he handled the press.

I never got the impression that the players didnt like Mowbray or that the team spirit was anything but good. 

Ask the players now what they of Mowbray and his training ground attitude now he has gone and what it is like now under Jon Dahl Tomasson. 

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

lets hope that Tomasson can get us overachieving above our resources and from 8th and into the top 6 this season.

Would it be overachieving for us to get into the Playoffs under JDT this season or next season?

I don't think we over achieved last season. do you think we did? 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And the squad was 2nd after the January transfer window and Mowbray messed it up just like he did at Boro and Coventry by finishing 8th. They were several people who said this would happen here and they were right and I was wrong which I will admit to. 

Ask the players now what they of Mowbray and his training ground attitude now he has gone and what it is like now under Jon Dahl Tomasson. 

Would it be overachieving for us to get into the Playoffs under JDT this season or next season?

I don't think we over achieved last season. do you think we did? 

Believe it or not, im not best mates with anyone in the squad so I will struggle. I also dont pay any attention to people coming out and saying how great the new manager is in training, they arent going to say anything else are they!

Did we overachieve, erm financially yes I would certainly say so. Our wage budget isnt the 8th highest and it was a season in which we sold our main striker for big money and didnt reinvest so the budget last season was probably minus £15m or whatever.

Obviously in general a fresh start was 100% needed, the managers reign had more than run its course and a fresh face with new ideas is certainly needed. Lets hope it manifests to an improvement on 8th place this season.

The aim for us is to overachieve. Its not an impossible task as other teams with similar resources have shown.

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Believe it or not, im not best mates with anyone in the squad so I will struggle. I also dont pay any attention to people coming out and saying how great the new manager is in training, they arent going to say anything else are they!

No surprised you paid no attention there tbh

Did we overachieve, erm financially yes I would certainly say so. Our wage budget isnt the 8th highest and it was a season in which we sold our main striker for big money and didnt reinvest so the budget last season was probably minus £15m or whatever.

The league table is based on results and winning games not on transfer fees and wages budget. Yes we sold Adam Armstrong and did better without him. We replaces him his goals with Ben Brereton stepping up to get them. We got around 10 million pounds for Armstrong cos Newcastle took 40 percent of the fee due to sell on clause. 

Obviously in general a fresh start was 100% needed, the managers reign had more than run its course and a fresh face with new ideas is certainly needed. Lets hope it manifests to an improvement on 8th place this season.

The aim for us is to overachieve. Its not an impossible task as other teams with similar resources have shown.

I am willing to give our new head coach Jon Dahl Tomasson 2 seasons to get us into the top 6 and promotion. 

I don't see getting promote or a top 6 spot as overachieving at all. That sort of comment remind my Mowbray mindset. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

It is a relief, you're right. The reason I mention him is because I am still peed off at the superb opportunity he threw away due to his stubbornness. It's unbelievable to me the way he behaved and is something I can't just 'move on' from. He chose not to sign a striker. He had money, even if it wasn't substantial, but chose not to spend it.

The winning formula fell in his lap at half time against Derby, thanks to the players saying enough is enough. He can't be having that though, so he reverted to type and utter shite at Reading three days later.

We may not find ourselves in that position, I.e 2nd, in a hurry again. For a manager to shrug his shoulders and not be arsed about it and try to pin the slump on pressure getting to the kids, again, I can't just forget about any of that. Especially when there's this bullshit narrative going around, not on here as such, that he's some kind of hero that saved Rovers.

That's before mentioning the reason we need 10 new players is because of his pretend journey he fooled everybody into thinking we were on.

Anyway, our first pre season game can't come quick enough as I'm looking forward to a fresh start and seeing which new players come in, as well as how JDT wants us to play.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No surprised you paid no attention there tbh

The league table is based on results and winning games not on transfer fees and wages budget. Yes we sold Adam Armstrong and did better without him. We replaces him his goals with Ben Brereton stepping up to get them. We got around 10 million pounds for Armstrong cos Newcastle took 40 percent of the fee due to sell on clause. 

I am willing to give our new head coach Jon Dahl Tomasson 2 seasons to get us into the top 6 and promotion. 

I don't see getting promote or a top 6 spot as overachieving at all. That sort of comment remind my Mowbray mindset. 

Obviously it is about results and points, I believe there is a 100% correlation between points and league position! But financial resources are key and factually we would have to overachieve on our finances especially our wage budget to make the top 6. That is not self deprecating, that is the situation. As I said, it can be done because the correlation between money and league position certainly isnt 100% and many teams have made the top 6 without top 6 budgets over the years. If you dismiss that as negativity living in a blue and white bubble that is up to you.

7 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

It is a relief, you're right. The reason I mention him is because I am still peed off at the superb opportunity he threw away due to his stubbornness. It's unbelievable to me the way he behaved and is something I can't just 'move on' from. He chose not to sign a striker. He had money, even if it wasn't substantial, but chose not to spend it.

The winning formula fell in his lap at half time against Derby, thanks to the players saying enough is enough. He can't be having that though, so he reverted to type and utter shite at Reading three days later.

We may not find ourselves in that position, I.e 2nd, in a hurry again. For a manager to shrug his shoulders and not be arsed about it and try to pin the slump on pressure getting to the kids, again, I can't just forget about any of that. Especially when there's this bullshit narrative going around, not on here as such, that he's some kind of hero that saved Rovers.

That's before mentioning the reason we need 10 new players is because of his pretend journey he fooled everybody into thinking we were on.

Anyway, our first pre season game can't come quick enough as I'm looking forward to a fresh start and seeing which new players come in, as well as how JDT wants us to play.

I havent seen anything about him being some kind of hero that saved Rovers. That is nonsense not far off being at the level of Mowbray being "the worst pound for pound manager in the clubs history and equally I would comment if I saw such drivel. You mention that it isnt on here hence presumably why I havent seen such quotes.

The players he turned down were loanees in January, he said as much. The wrong decision compounded by the injury to Markanday.

Other nonsencial quotes biased beyond belief are that he wasnt arsed about our decline and that the players decided that they would take matters into their own hands at half time v Derby.

Some of the players lost were loanees (5) because last summer he wasnt given any money so had to fill the squad. A few of the others left because our budget isnt particularly competive, one of whom could have funded at profit a couple of those holes had the owners not stupidly interfered.

I dont get the desperation for everyone to make him to be either seen as dismal or heroic, 99% of the time the former. To me, he was just an average manager who did a decent job and left the club in a better place than he left it without overseeing a considerable difference.

In changing manager, we were on a 3 or 4 on the dice. To get a club with our resources promoted, we would likely need a 6 or at least a 5. Mowbray was not that so a change was necessary and lets look forward rather than looking back and making out that Mowbray was the devil reincarnated 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Only 6 days to wait now. I am looking forward to seeing our play and how JDT wants us to play, formation and style of play, whether press from the front and defend deep. 

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Obviously it is about results and points, I believe there is a 100% correlation between points and league position! But financial resources are key and factually we would have to overachieve on our finances especially our wage budget to make the top 6. That is not self deprecating, that is the situation. As I said, it can be done because the correlation between money and league position certainly isnt 100% and many teams have made the top 6 without top 6 budgets over the years. If you dismiss that as negativity living in a blue and white bubble that is up to you.

Luton and Huddersfield did it last season by having a good coach who is tactically aware and have plan A and B. Plus plays players in the proper position. 

You get a top 6 place by having a good coach who is tactically aware, plays a style and formation that suits the players he's got, has a Plan B, having a good squad regardless of wages. 

Stop with nonsense about living in a blue and white bubble cos its complete rubbish!

I would just like to say a big thank you to Chaddy for posting that training session in Portugal. I know it was Rovers TV but I don't go to the official site much.

I was impressed with what the players were doing. It has boosted my optimism for this coming season.

Keep 'em coming, Chaddy.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, rigger said:

Still no Celtic tickets !

Someone on fb said they spoke to the ticket office and they're received them this morning

BUT

They didn't know how much they were going to be...

Think its a case of Celtic piss farting about more than anything on this one though.

3 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Someone on fb said they spoke to the ticket office and they're received them this morning

BUT

They didn't know how much they were going to be...

Think its a case of Celtic piss farting about more than anything on this one though.

FWIW when I spoke to the ticket office on Friday, the particular sales rep I spoke to didn't know the cost nor the allocation as those above simply hadn't told him. Doesn't shock me that there's incompetence at management level down Ewood...

We played Celtic in a hastily arranged friendly on a Sunday in 2010 when we were a PL club. There were a few hundred Rovers fans there and the ground was nearly empty.

Now it might be different this time with more advanced warning and it being a Saturday but I would still expect one block to be more than enough.

Also a large number of those seats, especially those in block 120, are obstructed views due to the old main stand pillars

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We played Celtic in a hastily arranged friendly on a Sunday in 2010 when we were a PL club. There were a few hundred Rovers fans there and the ground was nearly empty.

Now it might be different this time with more advanced warning and it being a Saturday but I would still expect one block to be more than enough.

Also a large number of those seats, especially those in block 120, are obstructed views due to the old main stand pillars

Yeah we played Hearts on the Saturday too. The Celtic one was arranged fairly last minute from memory.

• Like 1