BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

Boss Jon Dahl Tomasson told BBC Radio Lancashire that he does not blame his players for mistakes after the defeat.

"Don't blame the players for individual mistakes, give the coach the blame," he said.

"If you look at the whole game we were just as good as West Brom but games are won in each box, by winning personal duels and are you smelling danger and scoring goals? That's football.

"November was a good month for Rovers, December was not a good month, a period when there were too many games for a stretched squad."

So if he doesn't blame the players, then who does he blame, because it is someones fault. Tough questions need to be asked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

So if he doesn't blame the players, then who does he blame, because it is someones fault. Tough questions need to be asked.

He literally said blame the coach. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DE. said:

Boss Jon Dahl Tomasson told BBC Radio Lancashire that he does not blame his players for mistakes after the defeat.

"Don't blame the players for individual mistakes, give the coach the blame," he said.

"If you look at the whole game we were just as good as West Brom but games are won in each box, by winning personal duels and are you smelling danger and scoring goals? That's football.

"November was a good month for Rovers, December was not a good month, a period when there were too many games for a stretched squad."

If we think we were just as good as them then we have even bigger problems. There have been times this season when we have been just as good and be unlucky to lose. But today we were utterly thrashed without WBA getting out of second gear. They could have scored 6, 7, 8. We,  I think, maybe only had 2 decent opportunities outside the one we scored from.

They carved us open at will. That we are saying that its not the tactics or the approach just individual mistakes alone is just daft. Passing the ball around the middle third a bit without creating chances is not being "just as good as them".

He'll be gone pretty soon I think.

• Like 2

It saddens me to say this, but I think JDT has to go. I think he is a great coach and a good guy, but sadly he's the right man at the wrong time. I'm sure he will go on to do well when he is supported financially. He persists with an ambitious attacking formation despite not having the necessary personnel. We need to do the basics right now to gather enough points to keep us in the Championship and he is unwilling to do this. I suspect he is making a point to the owners/directors by stubbornly playing his expansive style, but his protestations are now just becoming obstructive and it appears the players heads have gone and the wheels have come off. The amount of goals shipped is pathetic considering the decent defenders and holding midfielders we have and JDT has to take responsibility for this. The real nail in the coffin was the cut backs last summer and that's not JDT or GB's fault. Prior to that we wanted to adopt the 'Brentford model', but this requires decent financial backing otherwise you end up with the recruitment team having to perform miracles and take risks on unproven bargain basement talent like Leo and Semir and in reality its unlikely to work out. We are adopting more of a Crewe Alex model now and we are heading down either this season or next. I think we need a Nathan Jones character to reinvigorate the squad and work on a shoestring. That being said, we are just delaying the inevitable whilst the owners continue to orchestrate our managed decline. 

• Like 3

It’s a shame about JDT. I like him and feel it would all be different if he’d been given the support. 

JDT will go on to do well in his career, whilst our club folds under this ownership…If we loose to Huddersfield then I think it’s time for a change…Sadly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gamst said:

It saddens me to say this, but I think JDT has to go. I think he is a great coach and a good guy, but sadly he's the right man at the wrong time. I'm sure he will go on to do well when he is supported financially. He persists with an ambitious attacking formation despite not having the necessary personnel. We need to do the basics right now to gather enough points to keep us in the Championship and he is unwilling to do this. I suspect he is making a point to the owners/directors by stubbornly playing his expansive style, but his protestations are now just becoming obstructive and it appears the players heads have gone and the wheels have come off. The amount of goals shipped is pathetic considering the decent defenders and holding midfielders we have and JDT has to take responsibility for this. The real nail in the coffin was the cut backs last summer and that's not JDT or GB's fault. Prior to that we wanted to adopt the 'Brentford model', but this requires decent financial backing otherwise you end up with the recruitment team having to perform miracles and take risks on unproven bargain basement talent like Leo and Semir and in reality its unlikely to work out. We are adopting more of a Crewe Alex model now and we are heading down either this season or next. I think we need a Nathan Jones character to reinvigorate the squad and work on a shoestring. That being said, we are just delaying the inevitable whilst the owners continue to orchestrate our managed decline. 

Good post and agreed.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

As they all do when the pressure mounts he's showing signs of complete delusion now or should i say denial.

It's a rocky road from here.

Always a danger of papering over the cracks.

Give JDT the Huddersfield game, we scrape a win and then what next?

My reading of the situation - JDT's relationship is fractured beyond repair with Waggott and most probably Broughton.  JDT's decision making now reeks of stubbornness  resentment and anger though couched in his affable way.

Think the relationship between JDT and players has also gone.  The fight on the field has gone.

This can only end one way.

IMO, our owners, Waggott and Broughton have made a real pig's ear of this and that is where the blame lies.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Fans like Tomasson for his honesty apparently. If that’s the case he needs to be brutally honest and ask himself if he’s failing as a manager and ought to resign

He's basically, like Mowbray was, saying sack me.

I am still fully backing JDT and I expect a win and performance against Huddersfield. What JDT and the players need is some signings to improve and boost the squad this week. 

I don't believe for one minute he has lost the dressing room or players and I think people yet again are looking for things that aren't there. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am still fully backing JDT and I expect a win and performance against Huddersfield. What JDT and the players need is some signings to improve and boost the squad this week. 

I don't believe for one minute he has lost the dressing room or players and I think people yet again are looking for things that aren't there. 

What would it take for this to change?

'He's lost the changing room' is a baseless characterisation when a team is struggling as we currently are. I fundamentally disagree with his 'blame me' comment after today's game though. The players have to take their responsibility too for their part in the debacle and whilst I think Tomasson is trying to ease the pressure on them it's a bit of an insult in my view asking us to exonerate any of them.

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Based on our current performances how many players do you think he needs to turn it around and in what positions?

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't know how anyone can "expect" a win against Huddersfield considering they battered us a couple of weeks ago and we refuse to change anything tactically.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Based on our current performances how many players do you think he needs to turn it around and in what positions?

Two full backs, an experienced CB and a striker.

Didn’t Broughton say 5 additional incomings to add to the ones already in?

In any case with our budget we’ll be lucky if we get one good player out of those five.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

JDT isn't really doing anyone any favours with that interview.

I don't agree with him that we were as good as West Brom In the first place but IF the problem today was merely the fact that we weren't winning Personal duels, weren't smelling danger and missing chances then that wouldnt really be his fault that IS the players fault.

I realise he's trying to deflect attention away from the players and not hang them out to dry in public but enough is enough, they have to take some responsibility for the mess we're in and I can't see the harm in JDT saying this simply sn't good enough from them. There's only so often the "this is happening because they're young and inexperienced" line will wash.

BTW Jon January isn't turning out to be a very good month either!

Edited by RevidgeBlue

44 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Always a danger of papering over the cracks.

Give JDT the Huddersfield game, we scrape a win and then what next?

My reading of the situation - JDT's relationship is fractured beyond repair with Waggott and most probably Broughton.  JDT's decision making now reeks of stubbornness  resentment and anger though couched in his affable way.

Think the relationship between JDT and players has also gone.  The fight on the field has gone.

This can only end one way.

IMO, our owners, Waggott and Broughton have made a real pig's ear of this and that is where the blame lies.

I don't think the players have ever been too happy with JDT !

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

'He's lost the changing room' is a baseless characterisation when a team is struggling as we currently are. I fundamentally disagree with his 'blame me' comment after today's game though. The players have to take their responsibility too for their part in the debacle and whilst I think Tomasson is trying to ease the pressure on them it's a bit of an insult in my view asking us to exonerate any of them.

I lost count of the amount of times people stated Mowbray had "lost the dressing room" during a death spiral only for results to eventually turn. 

Very rare for a manager to actually lose the dressing room. Low confidence and inability to implement the manager's ideas isn't the same as losing the dressing room. I don't think it's much more than that. 

• Like 3

Just now, DE. said:

I lost count of the amount of times people stated Mowbray had "lost the dressing room" during a death spiral only for results to eventually turn. 

Very rare for a manager to actually lose the dressing room. Low confidence and inability to implement the manager's ideas isn't the same as losing the dressing room. I don't think it's much more than that. 

mowbray definately lost the plot,dressing room,his players and his dignity after that bizarre first  half against derby🙂

• Like 2