BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v The Dingles (a) - 13/11/2022

We should use this game as a true measure of our potential with the squad we have - Burnleh obviously have a massive financial advantage over most other teams in the division, and we have been operating on a relative shoe string for some years now. We have good players, game changing individuals in fact, and a young squad that is capable of playing decent football.

We have a chance, of course and it will be very telling should we get our noses in front, in terms of what the Clarrots have in their kit bag to respond. I suspect we will suffer a reverse, however, and am planning a quiet Sunday afternoon of reflection and calm.

Heart - Dingles 1-Rovers 2

Head - Dingles 2 Rovers 0

Hope Dingles 2 Rovers 2 - a 98th minute bullet header from Scott Wharton sends the famous Blue and White hordes cavorting like cavemen and women home safe from the land of DIY dentistry and festering family relations.

COYB!

A repeat of Boxing Day ā€˜77 please.

Waggy lighting a cigar before slotting in within the first few minutes; a player weā€™d never heard of making a fool of Stephenson for the second, then, on the stroke of halftime, King Noel beating the offside trap on the halfway line and taking seemingly a month to tap into an empty net after bamboozling Stephenson.

Then bring on Ayala second half and not give them a sniff of a chance.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

A repeat of Boxing Day ā€˜77 please.

Waggy lighting a cigar before slotting in within the first few minutes; a player weā€™d never heard of making a fool of Stephenson for the second, then, on the stroke of halftime, King Noel beating the offside trap on the halfway line and taking seemingly a month to tap into an empty net after bamboozling Stephenson.

Then bring on Ayala second half and not give them a sniff of a chance.

Or a repeat of the 81/82 season where Garner scored. Rovers fans in 3 sides of the ground that day if I remember correctly. The journey back to Rossendale was fun..... Not.!Ā 

2 hours ago, briansol said:

Instead of sitting in deep, why not take the game to them with a passing team of energy. Don't think they are the most physical outfit. For shock value I'll swap Travis for Buckly.Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Kaminski

Hedges - Hyam - Ayala - Pickering

Ā  Ā  Ā Buckley - Morton - A.Wharton

Ā  Ā  HedgesĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā GallyĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā Diaz

Hedges will be expected to do the work of two men in that lineup...

Joking aside part of me would love us to play like this. But realistically I don't think we can really do the 433 gegenpressing thing generally, let alone against one of the strongest teams in the division. If you do it well it's great. If you do it bad it's suicide.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, superniko said:

Iā€™d probably go for that team but Hedges LWB and Brittain RWB

Ā 

This is a great line-up, but i'd be amazed if he didn't play both Szmodics and Travis in the away leg of the derby.

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Kaminski

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  HyamĀ Ā Ā  Ayala Ā  Wharton

Brittain Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Hedges

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Morton Ā Travis Ā Szmodics

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Gallagher Ā  Ā  Ā  Brereton-Diaz

• Like 2

Have to soak up the pressure. Enjoyed HP in recent weeks but this game will highlight all of his negatives. I'd definitely do a 5 with the inverted Hedges/Brittain thing to stop them coming inside as much like against Sunderland.

14 hours ago, Hasta said:

Iā€™d love it if we could do something really memorable for a local derby like crush them 5-0. Or even score a last minute, massively offside equaliser to break their hearts. Or blatantly dive to win a penalty to win the game. Or even for the last man to drag someone down on the half way line to prevent a certain defeat. Any of them will suffice. šŸ˜€

Combined with this celebration in the centre circle.

lifeofbrian.gif.b93d5c8d9cec8c635f24ecba64d70f2c.gif

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Have to soak up the pressure. Enjoyed HP in recent weeks but this game will highlight all of his negatives. I'd definitely do a 5 with the inverted Hedges/Brittain thing to stop them coming inside as much like against Sunderland.

I donā€™t think I could cope with this and would be very nervous with the fullbacks inverted. I donā€™t know that it encourages them to stay any wider, and it definitely encourages us to play narrower. JDT had the good fortune of playing alongside probably the best left back ever, who happened to be right footed, but Maldini was exceptional. I think we rode our luck against Sunderland and Brittain looked uncomfortable defensively. Plus Iā€™d like to see us put some crosses in as they seem really susceptible to them.

I would like to see Hedges in the lineup somewhere though. Until Saturday Iā€™d have wanted him at left wing back, but Pickering put in what was for me his best performance for us.Ā 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I donā€™t think I could cope with this and would be very nervous with the fullbacks inverted. I donā€™t know that it encourages them to stay any wider, and it definitely encourages us to play narrower. JDT had the good fortune of playing alongside probably the best left back ever, who happened to be right footed, but Maldini was exceptional. I think we rode our luck against Sunderland and Brittain looked uncomfortable defensively. Plus Iā€™d like to see us put some crosses in as they seem really susceptible to them.

I would like to see Hedges in the lineup somewhere though. Until Saturday Iā€™d have wanted him at left wing back, but Pickering put in what was for me his best performance for us.Ā 

I'd like Hedges further up the pitch.Ā  We should play our strength and hurt on the counter.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd like Hedges further up the pitch.Ā  We should play our strength and hurt on the counter.

Yeah, if we're playing 3 at the back which i think we will, i would like to see Hedges floating behind Diaz and Gallagher with Trav and Moreton behind him,

A.Wharton and Szmodics off the bench later on for any tired legs.

We have 2 very capable full/wing backs, both of whom impressed at the weekend, how about playing them in their correct positions? Dropping Pickering who should have been man of the match to then play Brittain there who had a shocker at Coventry playing on his wrong side, to then play Hedges who perhaps in easier home games can drift and have a free role with Carter filling in as a right back at times, it just all makes no sense.

I think Kaminski, Brittain, Ayala, Hyam, Pickering, Travis, Morton, Brereton and Gallagher all pick themselves. You then build around that, do you go with a back 3 with S Wharton and if so, do you play Hedges, Szmodics or Adam Wharton?

Kaminski

Hyam Ayala Wharton

Brittain Morton Travis Pickering

Hedges

Gallagher Brereton

Subs: Pears, Dack, Szmodics, Markanday, Carter, A Wharton, Buckley

Focus on getting loads of height around their keeper at set pieces.

• Like 2

I'm torn on Szmodics starting or not. His work rate is second to none and might be valuable in a game where we'll lack the ball and will need a player to press and try and force counters. Will Hedges provide that to the same extent? And will Hedges drop in o the midfield to shore things up? Genuinely unsure!

Inverted wing backs would be a gamble. Don't know enough about their wingers to say whether it's a good shout, but also love how Pickering/Brereton link up down the side and think Brittain ended up stifling Brereton at Coventry. We also need to get some balls into the box.Ā 

2 hours ago, booth said:

Combined with this celebration in the centre circle.

lifeofbrian.gif.b93d5c8d9cec8c635f24ecba64d70f2c.gif

Last time i went a bloke jumped out of the home section bollock naked and ran across the entire pitch like that heading for the Rovers section.Ā  He was rugby tackled before he made it but it's hard to know what his actual intention was, fight, attempt to breed with out of town bloodline, or just escape the shithole.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Kaminski

Hyam Ayala Wharton

Brittain Morton Travis Pickering

Hedges

Gallagher Brereton

Subs: Pears, Dack, Szmodics, Markanday, Carter, A Wharton, Buckley

Ā 

With JDT confirming that Adam Wharton will play at West Ham (so, given how he's managed him so far, he probably won't start on Sunday), I'd also go with exactly that. Otherwise I may have been tempted to stick Wharton in. Albeit not sure at the expense of who as Hedges has to start for me, he's a really intelligent player, and with Brittain and Pickering at wing back (agree that they should play on their correct sides, no need to overcomplicate it) Hedges' spot will be further forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frosty said:

With JDT confirming that Adam Wharton will play at West Ham (so, given how he's managed him so far, he probably won't start on Sunday), I'd also go with exactly that. Otherwise I may have been tempted to stick Wharton in. Albeit not sure at the expense of who as Hedges has to start for me, he's a really intelligent player, and with Brittain and Pickering at wing back (agree that they should play on their correct sides, no need to overcomplicate it) Hedges' spot will be further forward.

they have 4 weeks rest from sunday so no reason to not play anyone

45 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

they have 4 weeks rest from sunday so no reason to not play anyone

I agree - but seeing how JDT has managed Adam Wharton so far, if he was planning to play him on Sunday I don't think he'd play tomorrow night. We'll see, like I said I'd be tempted to stick him in.

11 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Anyone got any newspaper cuttings from that Boxing day '77 game?

Sorry, can't help you there but indelibly stored in the memory bank!

A game those who were there will not forget - think there were just shy of 30,000 on that day.

My heart sank when Noble netted close to the end to pull it back to 3-2 - an extremely nervous end.