BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (h) - 27/4/24

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Must have panicked in the heat of the moment because I don't think the back pass rule would have applied. If a defender unintentionally slices a clearance and the keeper picks it up then its not deemed a foul because it wasn't an intentional pass.

Interesting hypothetical though - if he had conceded a free kick a yard out- would we have been entitled to line up eleven players on the line making it virtually impossible to score or would they get a free hit?

Isnt the rule that it has to be 10 yards from the goal line, so it would be taken from there? 

As you say though, unsure if similar to if a defender does it, an unintentional slice that goes back to the keeper isnt a backpass, but not as straightforward if its the keeper himself that does it. So not sure on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yellowsubmarine said:

i agreed with this. Pears should have taken his chance and try to catch the ball after the miskick (since it was unintentional). Probably that's what the ref came over and spoke to him about. "You could have caught the ball and it will be okay, son".

I'd say he came over to say "what the fuck is wrong with you?, you looked like a clown running across a minefield"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, yellowsubmarine said:

i agreed with this. Pears should have taken his chance and try to catch the ball after the miskick (since it was unintentional). Probably that's what the ref came over and spoke to him about. "You could have caught the ball and it will be okay, son".

He had time to kick the ball again. It was close to him. Once the ball bounced and spun away he was doomed. He's not that agile at the best of times.

Hyam played his part, over hit ball, on goal and bobbly.

That doesn't excuse Pears not making proper contact with the ball. Specsavers needed.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He had time to kick the ball again. It was close to him. Once the ball bounced and spun away he was doomed. He's not that agile at the best of times.

That doesn't excuse Pears not making proper contact with the ball. Specsavers needed.

I totally disagree with the statement in bold

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Just witnessed a very good performance from the U21s who came back from 2 down to draw with Arsenal. 

I’d start Leo Duru on Saturday and have Nsangou on the bench.

I'd put money on our u21s beating the first team

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It had better be a Rovers career ender. He's an awful goalkeeper and that error is insanely bad. 

Like you say, had time to kick it but actually avoided touching the ball purposely, instead.

The problem is that the next guy in line is just as bad. 

Don't think it really matter which ones starts but honestly, I'd consider Leo for the last 2.

• Like 3

I’m pretty sure Pears feels bad enough without half the world laughing at him. Shit happens, Henderson (a much better keeper at Palace) did the same yesterday. 

It’s how we move on from Sunday that matters. Coventry may be a better team but we have to believe we can beat them or failing that, not lose. 

‘Half the world laughing at him’, it was shared on social media for an hour or two before the semi final got going. Most football fans wouldn’t know the bloke if he sliced a ball into their back garden.

• Like 1

It’s a metaphor. Of course only those interested will have seen it but what happened to fair minded Rovers fans giving the guy some support. He’ll be playing in the last two games so giving him both barrels isn’t going to help. We move on from the Wednesday fiasco. 

This is an obscure forum with a few dozen regular posters, wider social media is a cesspit, but there’s nothing anybody can do about that.

Come 3pm on Saturday at Ewood, he’ll be supported, like always, and that’s all that matters.

• Like 3

I expect our younger players to make mistakes- youthful exuberance and all. 
but, I’d prefer U21’s over 5 or 6 of the lot that played vs Wednesday.

Our fans deserve a better effort, and fewer mistakes, from players who are old enough to play better. 

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
7 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

It’s a metaphor. Of course only those interested will have seen it but what happened to fair minded Rovers fans giving the guy some support. He’ll be playing in the last two games so giving him both barrels isn’t going to help. We move on from the Wednesday fiasco. 

People are quite rightly annoyed, as he was certainly involved in one error, arguably two that proved critical on the day and could prove even more critical come the end of the season.

Personal insults obviously cross a line, but Jesus, he knows observations on his performance come with the territory.

7 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

He was the hero the week before, one of the performances of the season if front of 35,000 baying Yorkshiremen. 

He probably kept us up with that display, but deserves pelters for Sunday I’m afraid, comes with the territory. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I'm expecting Simms, Wright and O'Hare to have a lot of fun against our defence. If they play like they did in the second half yesterday, it'll be a long day.

Their league position, whilst far better than ours, would suggest they don’t often play like that.

I’ve finally watched the highlights.

Hyam could have played it a bit slower and a bit more in front of Pears. However I think Pears is trying to get it upfield. As it’s coming at a bad angle to him, he’d be better launching it into the Riverside and bollocking Hyam. Pears really needs to deal with it better.

And I don’t want to dig him out too much, but when he heads it to Hyam for the first goal he stands there and admires it for a second or two. What is he waiting for? A one-two? The minute he heads it he should be retreating back to his goal at full speed.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I’ve finally watched the highlights.

Hyam could have played it a bit slower and a bit more in front of Pears. However I think Pears is trying to get it upfield. As it’s coming at a bad angle to him, he’d be better launching it into the Riverside and bollocking Hyam. Pears really needs to deal with it better.

And I don’t want to dig him out too much, but when he heads it to Hyam for the first goal he stands there and admires it for a second or two. What is he waiting for? A one-two? The minute he heads it he should be retreating back to his goal at full speed.

Any professional footballer, including goalkeepers, should be capable of cleanly striking through the back pass Hyam provided.  Pears was not expected to control the ball, take it around any approaching SW player and then produce a defence splitting ball which would create an opportunity for Rovers.  All he had to do was launch the feckin ball to an area of safety.  It was simply a huge error made even worse by his lamentable efforts to rectify it before the ball entered the net.

As for the first goal, being so far out of his goal, he should quite simply have played safe and found touch as clearly Hyam would be under pressure.

The bottom line is Pears is a very poor all round goalie with so many flaws in his game it's untrue.  Many of us have been saying this since Mowbray brought, metaphorically speaking, one of his 'favourite sons' to the club.

Pears has cost us both countless goals and points and should be jettisoned from our club as soon as possible.  Sadly, he may have caused our club irretrievable damage.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 8