BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

The problem with Mowbray is he's not very thick-skinned and gets very defensive when questioned on anything related to his football management.  He's also arrogant. The two things are probably related.

Trouble is he's not very good at his job so ends up tripping himself up with his increasingly bizarre excuses. He's not getting a better gig than here. I bet he can't believe his luck. 

• Like 6

Just for fun I decided to have a look at the last 15 games (league only) of Mowbray and the two previous sacked managers (I've ignored Lambert). 

Makes grim reading for old Tony.

Mowbray - P15 / W2 / D4 / L9 - 0.67 PPG

Coyle - P15 / W4 / D4 / L7 - 1.07 PPG

Bowyer - P15 / W3 / D8 / L4 - 1.13 PPG

Interestingly both Bowyer and Coyle were sacked going into an international break so looks like we missed the boat the other week.

I cannot understand how anyone with such a record is still clinging on. Man of integrity...

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘I’ve spent my career not liking stats, it’s down to whether you win or lose’

Hang on, thought it wasn’t about winning or losing, but ‘performances’? Anyone would think he has begun to say the exact opposite to the above quote, which is the very antithesis of what first team managers are appointed for, for the benefit of idiotic owners and job preservation...

I think what he’s saying, or trying to say is that if you concentrate first and foremost on performances, the results will follow. Doing it the other way round won’t work He’s saying we are playing really well and we are not far off getting the results to match.

Thing is Tony, you’ve had over four years and look at what’s actually happening on the pitch. Yes, some nice passing out from the back and at times good movement. We never, ever look like scoring or winning a game though. You have got this particular approach very badly wrong - and this squad - the squad you’ve built over four years - don’t have it in them to change anything. 

It’s time to completely rebuild IMO, starting with a new manager, because we’re not as close to being successful and challenging the top six as you think we are. Time to get someone else in with fresh ideas about how to win games and challenge for the play offs.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Just for fun I decided to have a look at the last 15 games (league only) of Mowbray and the two previous sacked managers (I've ignored Lambert). 

Interestingly both Bowyer and Coyle were sacked going into an international break so looks like we missed the boat the other week.

I cannot understand how anyone with such a record is still clinging on. Man of integrity...

I think this clearly illustrates that the lunatics are running the asylum. Especially when compared to Bowyer it's a very interesting comparison. Both had previous of being the right end of the table years before, both dug us out of a hole initially. And yet one was given the boot despite having to sell a number of key players. The other gets to spend a ton and still is in a job with a worse record. Whichever way you cut it, that he is still hear shows Kean-esque levels of power and influence far beyond what the managerial role should entail. Another crushing blow for the club. 

It's unusual at this level. Typically Premier League strugglers go through patches like this but they are more often than not known to be out of their depth in that league. 15+ without a win would get you in the Premier League's all time top 10 worst runs after Ipswich. Totally unacceptable at our level though and no manager would survive it at a club with competent owners.

• Like 4

• Backroom

And keep in mind this is the second time Mowbray has taken us on a truly horrific and embarrassing run of form. We also had the 9 defeats in 11 run in the 18/19 season. 

I believe somebody on here mentioned this is our worst run of form in 43 years. Imagine being able to lead a team on a worse run of form than Steve Kean, who was mostly managing us at a level higher than this one! If Mowbray had any of the pride he claims to possess he would have walked away a long time ago.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

The time and place for pretending to play tika taka is not here and now.

We need points and we need them quickly.

The man is a fool.

This situation is frightening me.

The cloak and dagger self preservation is in full effect,we have a complete conflict of interest here I fear.

Hold on tight.

21 minutes ago, DE. said:

And keep in mind this is the second time Mowbray has taken us on a truly horrific and embarrassing run of form. We also had the 9 defeats in 11 run in the 18/19 season. 

I believe somebody on here mentioned this is our worst run of form in 43 years. Imagine being able to lead a team on a worse run of form than Steve Kean, who was mostly managing us at a level higher than this one! If Mowbray had any of the pride he claims to possess he would have walked away a long time ago.

Agree he should have walked. If results and performances were the priority he would have. Unfortunately they aren't.

1 hour ago, Displaced Rover said:

Its because:

Its about performances, not results

The stats say we should be promoted already.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

But also:

Its about results

We don't look at stats

The tunnel collapsed

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree he is under pressure for weeks..around the game against Reading game his comments make it sound a man under pressure. Then recently.its like he been trying to talk the owners through the media cos he no longer has direct contact with the owners as everything has to go through Pasha now. 

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Think the decision to sack him has been made but cos we used HSH agency if they dont have a suitable candidate might be why hes not gone yet. 

Even if your optimistic theories are true, what would it make you think of owners who decide when they have lost faith in a manager rather than dealing with it and sacking him, they just dont deal with him at all and fob him off to Pasha, and also that they will only get a manager from one agency?

Even if hes not under pressure with the owners, he still will feel pressure from the media and try to justify himself. He will still be here next season. We have collected 6 point from 7 games since that Reading game when he supposedly sounded under pressure, so its clearly not from the owners.

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think modified words from Sinatra's 'My way' could be appropriate:

And now their end is here
And so they face that final curtain

I think it's pretty clear the fat lady is clearing her throat.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they are given until the end of season, either that they’ll be gone next week 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Even if your optimistic theories are true, what would it make you think of owners who decide when they have lost faith in a manager rather than dealing with it and sacking him, they just dont deal with him at all and fob him off to Pasha, and also that they will only get a manager from one agency?

Cos this lack of communication between the owners and manager happened twice before with Bowyer and Lambert. 

Mowbray admitted this about a month I think that he doesnt have direct contact with the owners anymore and deals with Pasha now. 

The last 4 managers have come from that agency. No reason to think it wont again. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Even if hes not under pressure with the owners, he still will feel pressure from the media and try to justify himself. He will still be here next season. We have collected 6 point from 7 games since that Reading game when he supposedly sounded under pressure, so its clearly not from the owners.

He has felt the pressure for weeks now. Probably since that Reading game. His comments are directly towards the owners and not the fans cos of the lack of direct contact. He has felt the pressure the media and some question over his future. 

Its one win in 14 games which is unacceptable. He said he had built a top 6 quality team this season. his words. We are 17th in the league which is unacceptable totally. Of course he is under pressure from them after they backed his slow plan and backed him financially in terms of transfer fees and wages. Do you think they bankrolled it to finish 17th in the league? 

If you think he will be here next season fine BUT others don't including myself. I know your view already so why keep posting it? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos this lack of communication between the owners and manager happened twice before with Bowyer and Lambert. 

Mowbray admitted this about a month I think that he doesnt have direct contact with the owners anymore and deals with Pasha now. 

The last 4 managers have come from that agency. No reason to think it wont again. 

He has felt the pressure for weeks now. Probably since that Reading game. His comments are directly towards the owners and not the fans cos of the lack of direct contact. He has felt the pressure the media and some question over his future. 

Its one win in 14 games which is unacceptable. He said he had built a top 6 quality team this season. his words. We are 17th in the league which is unacceptable totally. Of course he is under pressure from them after they backed his slow plan and backed him financially in terms of transfer fees and wages. Do you think they bankrolled it to finish 17th in the league? 

If you think he will be here next season fine BUT others don't including myself. I know your view already so why keep posting it? 

I dont feel like you have addressed my question. Do you think that an absence of communication between Mowbray and the owners, and also a narrow minded and dodgy approach of only considering managers from a particular agency are healthy ways to run a football club?

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont feel like you have addressed my question. Do you think that an absence of communication between Mowbray and the owners, and also a narrow minded and dodgy approach of only considering managers from a particular agency are healthy ways to run a football club?

If they choose another manager from the same agency then it will prove furthermore that have learnt sweet F**k all

Like Chaddy says the last four managers appointed from that particular agency's stable and they were all failures.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

His comments are directly towards the owners and not the fans cos of the lack of direct contact. 

Lying earlier this week then, was he?

“I talk about the games to them, what they saw, they don’t like to lose as I don’t like to lose, but they see the team performing at a level.”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That's their way they do it. 

I dont think Mowbray should have a direct line the owners. Everything should go Pasha and good CEO(not Waggott)

The last 4 managers have come from that Agency. Mowbray has done well but this season is unacceptable, Bowyer did a fairly good job but couldnt take us further, Lambert not here long enough as I think he would have got us top 6, Coyle was disaster. 

I hope they dont use any agency but appoint the best candidate whether it British manager like Wilder, Hughes, Neil, Ainsworth for example or we go foriegn head coach like Rosler or Ivic for example with Sporting director in place. 

• Like 1