BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Williams won't be signing a new deal here he wanted out in the summer 

He'll sign whatever we put in front of him if he's got any sense. That injury he got is a career threatening injury for a pro footballer. It'll be another Gladwin job, we'll keep him on until he's " fit " again and that might be a long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray has always struggled to be ruthless when the time comes for summer renewals. Remember when Conway got offered a new deal, when Bennett, Evans, Smallwood, Williams and Mulgrew got new lengthy deals as rewards, when Gladwin got a pity contract, when Smallwood, Hart and Samuel got offered a few weeks extension again for no reason but pity, and the hapless Bell got an extension again last summer. He doesnt have it in him to be ruthless. Williams, Bell, Downing, Bennett and Evans have to be released no question, and Johnson and Holtby still have work to do.

On top of which I expect him to be afraid of the necessary rebuilding job if he let's too many go.

Which, tbf, I would be afraid of it. Increasingly decreasing budgetary support and we have shown before how difficult we can make recruitment. Recruiting from Europe will also be tougher from now on thanks to the Brexit regs.

I expect a player sale will be considered necessary to fund improvements...we all know who that will be of.

7 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Interesting to see so many players out of contract in the summer. I would personally offer the following new deals:

- Nyambe, Rothwell, Johnson, Holtby, Rankin-Costello. 

I would release:

- Bell, Williams, Evans, Downing, Mulgrew, Bennet

In terms of loan signings, Elliot is obviously incredible but no chance of him coming back for another year. Braithwaite is good too but he'll be in and around the Everton squad next year so that's unrealistic. Trybull is not good enough, Douglas has been poor but I'd be tempted to buy him on a cheap deal as back up. I think there's more to come from him. 

There's absolutely no way Johnson should be getting a new deal for me, bar a few flashes this season he's past his best and has been another of Mowbray's poor signings. But he probably will get one.

Nyambe should be the priority but probably won't sign if he's any sense and will go somewhere where his talents are appreciated.

Rothwell is probably worth a new deal. Again would probably flourish under a different manager.

Holtby has a bit to prove and on balance I'm not sure he's consistent enough.

JRC will probably re-sign but I'm yet to be convinced by him or see anything that blows me away.

The rest forget it. However Moggasaurus is probably hoping we can flog AA so he can give everyone new deals "and keep the squad together".

• Like 6

14 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

There's absolutely no way Johnson should be getting a new deal for me, bar a few flashes this season he's past his best and has been another of Mowbray's poor signings. But he probably will get one.

Nyambe should be the priority but probably won't sign if he's any sense and will go somewhere where his talents are appreciated.

Rothwell is probably worth a new deal. Again would probably flourish under a different manager.

JRC will probably re-sign but I'm yet to be convinced by him or see anything that blows me away.

The rest forget it. However Moggasaurus is probably hoping we can flog AA so he can give everyone new deals "and keep the squad together".

The problem is not the players. Priority needs to get a new manager in asap.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I agree he is way too soft. The amount of money he wastes by being “a decent sort of caring manager” we could have made up the difference in value with the Pickering deal. It’s very frustrating. I don’t think any of the 30 plus year olds should be given new contracts as their legs will not be able to provide the high intensity that our play demands. Any money should be used to protect our young assets. 

Definitely release Mulgrew, Downing, Bell and Bennett. I would prioritise new deals for Nyambe, Rothwell and Rankin Costello 

The middle bracket consists of Holtby, Johnson and Evans. I'm not sold on any of them and don't think it would be disastrous to lose them for nothing as it would Nyambe or JRC.

Holtby and Evans obviously have fitness issues which prevent getting close to a full season out of either BUT I do think that when fit and playing both have something to offer. I would keep both under review.

Holtby I think will be wanting out - seems he divides his time between here and Germany and has a wife and child out there so can't see this being a long term arrangement.

Evans I still come back to his partnership with Travis in the first half of last season. It really worked for us. I also sympathise with his horror head injury last season. But the reality is since then he just hasn't been able to get a run of games going and he needs to quickly to earn a stay here. If he does I think he's worth keeping. Strangely all very quiet with his injury after 2 months out.

I half wonder has he had word from Mowbray or decided he's moving on and as such is just coasting through the final year.

Williams has clearly had a fall out of sorts with Mowbray presumably after our failed attempts to sell him last summer. He won't be staying unless a new manager comes in and asks him to stay. Probably end up somewhere like Cardiff under McCarthy who can get more out of him.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Interesting to see so many players out of contract in the summer. I would personally offer the following new deals:

I would release:

I'd probably agree with this, apart from maybe Johnson.

Sneaky feeling Bennett gets another 12 months though.

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Not a great manager imo

His record speaks for itself at this level. He had Ipswich playing well above their level. His last roll was an odd one, but they have had 15 managers in 3 seasons. I'm sure he got a very tidy payday. This feels like he needs to achieve something though.

• Like 2

On 21/01/2021 at 13:03, rovers11 said:

I would release:

In terms of loan signings, Elliot is obviously incredible but no chance of him coming back for another year. Braithwaite is good too but he'll be in and around the Everton squad next year so that's unrealistic. Trybull is not good enough, Douglas has been poor but I'd be tempted to buy him on a cheap deal as back up. I think there's more to come from him. 

I think Trybull is alright tbh. Especially considering we are only paying about 10% of his wages. 

Mccarthy belongs to a group of managers who seem to be considered unfashionable but the job he did at Ipswich considering the only fee he spent up until maybe the last year was Tyrone Mings from non league for a nominal fee was brilliant. He might not be the top of my list but he would be a good appointment.

• Like 7

I think McCarthy would fit Cardiff like a glove. Last two managers Warnock and Harris both of which use similar styles to McCarthy. They aren't a side or squad used to playing pretty passing football.

A very shrewd appointment. 

He's in the bracket with Warnock, Hughton and Bruce where everywhere he goes in the Championship he will quickly organise and improve teams even on a tight budget. Sort the defence out and go from there. What he could do with our squad plus a couple of reliable defenders.

Would be ideal for us but sadly we think we're a mini Barcelona with a manager incapable of getting it to work. So instead we go around in circles asking 'who would we replace him with?' 

Well there's one name going elsewhere. 

• Like 2

The common consensus is that any sell on fees just go straight back into the running of the club.

Anytime anyone has asked Rich Sharpe who has also asked Mowbray, the answer he has got and given is that it wont impact on the transfer budget.

Even if he does get sold I doubt the amount we would receive would be very much.

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The common consensus is that any sell on fees just go straight back into the running of the club.

Anytime anyone has asked Rich Sharpe who has also asked Mowbray, the answer he has got and given is that it wont impact on the transfer budget.

Even if he does get sold I doubt the amount we would receive would be very much.

I feel as though that talk is merely to dampen expectations though. I expect it would have some, if only a bit, of an impact on the budget (unless it all goes into contracts that we can't quite afford at the mo).

My thinking is that we already have those running costs. They already exist and yet a budget has been allocated separate to that. For me, it stands to reason that whilst we are already probably over stretching our budget due to our defensive crisis, if we got a couple of million then surely a few hundred k or so would be made available to ensure either longer term replacements or higher quality short term ones if we honestly believe promotion is on the cards.

Then again maybe that's what all this talk of the cost of replacing the pitch is for, to enable it all to be swallowed up no questions asked. But I dunno, since the summer it seems to me we have reacted to the fact we are priced out of nearly every deal we approach by pleading poverty in public. We were more active in the last window than anticipated in the end (albeit partly because Trybull only cost peanuts it turned out).

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Yep at this stage it won't be much. If Bournemouth have any sense they will get rid just to get some money in as in the summer they'll get bugger all. It won't be anywhere near the 15 million mark that has been bandied about the last few months though.