BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

I’m no defender of Waggott but Covid has rather impacted upon income…

He has then compounded that impact by raising prices and thereby slashing thousands off our number of season ticket sales.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

So how has this affected us more than the other 23 clubs in the division, all but a handful aren't under an embargo and have begun recruitment in earnest ahead of the new season?

Covid a convenient excuse here for all sorts of failures until the question gets asked how/why it has affected Rovers more than anyone else.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

League 1 again. Seems like it would be time now to go a bit higher, either with us or say in the Scottish prem. 

He only played 2 games in League One. He has played in the Scottish Prem more recently than that, 10 games this year, so it wouldnt be going higher anyway.

I expect the thinking is that he needs a run of regular games, and the level directly below us is the closest test you can give really. I'd argue the SPL is only slightly, if at all, a 'higher' level than League One anyway. Some League One or below level clubs in there for sure.

We have two other young centre backs on the cusp here, Ayala returning and will probably look to get a new CB if possible, so someone is going out on loan.

Blackburn Rovers transfer embargo, how it impacts recruitment and potential ramifications - LancsLive

Blackburn Rovers: Transfers, embargo and Adam Armstrong latest | Lancashire Telegraph

Reading the above articles on the embargo recently I'm none the wiser. Maybe because I'm a bit thick, or because the articles aren't clear. So, 3 questions now that the transfer window is open-

1) What type of embargo are we currently under and how does that impact the type* of players we can currently sign?

2) What type of  embargo will we be under if we don't file the accounts by the 30/6 deadline, and how will that further impact the type of players we can sign?

3) What type of embargo will be under if we do file our accounts by 30/6, but we have not met our FFP/P&S obligations? Again, how will that impact the type of players we can sign?

*by 'type' I mean frees, loans, transfer fees etc

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I saw it. We’ve a week yet to file the accounts, if we don’t file them by the deadline, then we are in a proper one.
TBH- I think people are just using it as an excuse to be overly dramatic, as it’s a scary word.

Anyway, England time…

Tell me what’s the difference between this and a proper embargo? We can’t sign anyone at the moment until we submit the accounts. We’ve got to hope the 3 Marx brothers have not screwed them up.

14 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

I don't know the exact details, but I have seen that some clubs have identified Covid-induced revenue drops in their 2019-20 accounts, which may then be excluded from FFP. Covid obviously complicates things, but exceptions have been made. Our 2017-18 to 2019-20 window also includes our L1 year, which may technically not count to FFP (although I've seen differing accounts on that, and I suspect it does count as a £13m max loss year...). Furthermore, I think 2019-20 and 2020-21 are being treated as an average as part of a 4-year FFP window, so our accounts this year may need to take into account next year too already...

I had a brief look at this last week and ultimately there's too many variables to know for sure, but we're definitely at the margin of FFP (imo, given our low revenue and owner backing, that's where we should be if we're hoping to be competitive; stresses about FFP should be "intentional" to some extent). The VLL accounts give an indication of our 2019-20 losses, but the BRFC accounts tend to be a touch rosier. We also have relatively high spend on FFP-exempt cost items (the academy, community spend, women's football, etc), so it's hard to conclude our FFP-status from the accounts alone. And if we are in breach, given we've just unloaded a bunch of relatively high-earners, I suspect we'd still be able to negotiate that we're now on a more sustainable financial path, etc. So, lots of levers.

So, I'm not surprised that we will tend to be stragglers in working all the above out, but obviously a concern if such wrangling is interfering with our transfer policy now (although, for better or worse, we tend to do our transfer work rather late).

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 2

Working with Konpany in Belgium or Mowbray in the Championship is a no brainer for THB.  Can't blame him for that he'd only ever have ended up back here if there were no other decent suitors.

Just one of those things, not unexpected and i don't think it's really a reflection on Rovers too much. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Good decision by Harwood-Bellis and a similar one will be made by Elliot. MOWBRAY OUT!

Can't see how you can blame TM - Hardwood Bellis has chosen to play under a City legend who will still have contacts at City which will do no harm for his career. Elliott has chosen to be a squad player at Liverpool - which was always his stated aim. He also has interest from a number of Premiership clubs. Why not congratulate TM and the recruitment team for getting in two very good youngsters last season ?

5 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Can't see how you can blame TM - Hardwood Bellis has chosen to play under a City legend who will still have contacts at City which will do no harm for his career. Elliott has chosen to be a squad player at Liverpool - which was always his stated aim. He also has interest from a number of Premiership clubs. Why not congratulate TM and the recruitment team for getting in two very good youngsters last season ?

Because we only finished 15th.

• Like 6