3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is that right? I stand corrected if so. 

It feels like he hasn't had 4 in his career before this season. 

And this the problem....some of our other younger players make a pass 5 yards and they are worth 10m, Ryan is well out of here.....undervalued and underrated 

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me, after the play off dream disappeared post Christmas, the only thing I cared about was finishing above Preston. When we beat them 3-0 at their place we demonstrated how superior we should be to

23 points off the top 6. Get out Mowbray, you fraud.

I'm going rogue here   I want Rotherham to win. I want Derby to go down and Mowbray doesn't deserve any pointless end of season gloss.  I don't even feel guilty  Having said that we wil

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

If what you are saying is correct and a daft blanket statement like “The modern fullback role has changed” is true, then Nyambe’s coaching has obviously been wrong since day 1 and he should probably have been a centre back.

I think it’s far more a case of there are about a dozen full backs in world football who play for a handful of really good teams who provide a lot more of an attacking threat than the other 70% of fullbacks who just do their actual job. There is also about 20% of fullbacks who fall victim to managers chasing fads and employing confused tactics - this is where Nyambe fits in.

“Hasn’t improved” is bollocks. His assist numbers have gone up this year, although assists aren’t on xG levels of nonsense stats, they aren’t great either. A player could dribble from his own goalmouth the full length of the pitch, beating every player twice and hit the post. Someone tucks the rebound away, but nobody credited with the assist.

Everybody has different opinions on players, and that’s all part and parcel. However, some of our fans have had a downer on Nyambe since day one and will never change their opinion. There’s another significant number who have the really odd mindset of slating him because they believe Mowbray doesn’t rate him. Loads of examples on here and other sites.

Oh, and the piss poor goal returns of our 5 and 7 million forwards are far more of a concern than the fact Nyambe has not scored.

Mind reader as well, eh? Too many people IMO conflate Nyambe with their (or others’) views of the manager. I don’t rate Nyambe because I don’t rate his positional awareness. So many goals this season from his side where he has been in no man’s land, he rarely seems to know who is around him. His big strength is one-on-one attacking and defending, both of which catch the eye, but his defending off the ball is poor to abysmal.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He isn't good enough in the air for centre half. You can't reach that 

I am not advocating him playing at centre back, I am making the point that I find your idea about “modern fullbacks” nonsense. I’m actually surprised you think modern centre backs need any aerial prowess.

Read it again. You’ve not paid attention to a lot of the thread if it’s took you til just now to see the numbers around Nyambe’s assists. I thought you were just ignoring it.

3 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Mind reader as well, eh? Too many people IMO conflate Nyambe with their (or others’) views of the manager. I don’t rate Nyambe because I don’t rate his positional awareness. So many goals this season from his side where he has been in no man’s land, he rarely seems to know who is around him. His big strength is one-on-one attacking and defending, both of which catch the eye, but his defending off the ball is poor to abysmal.

I see it differently. He is expected to do the job of at least 2 men in most games and with the attacking he has to do, that side gets exposed. There is so little defensive support from whoever is in front of him (particularly if it’s Elliott) and the midfielders are clearly instructed to occupy zones rather than drop in. I think our defensive shape is generally far too open.

4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I see it differently. He is expected to do the job of at least 2 men in most games and with the attacking he has to do, that side gets exposed. There is so little defensive support from whoever is in front of him (particularly if it’s Elliott) and the midfielders are clearly instructed to occupy zones rather than drop in. I think our defensive shape is generally far too open.

I don’t disagree, but defending is easy when everything is going well in front of you. Good off the ball defenders have a nose for danger, anticipate and block off runs, know when to come inside and when not. I think Nyambe gets a lot of those decisions badly wrong no matter why the situation arose.

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

And this the problem....some of our other younger players make a pass 5 yards and they are worth 10m, Ryan is well out of here.....undervalued and underrated 

I don't do either. I like him a lot. I think there is the flip side to what you say though, where some over rate him. I would certainly keep him. 

If it's Buckley you are referring to there, I think he gets plenty of stick, far more than Nyambe 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I am not advocating him playing at centre back, I am making the point that I find your idea about “modern fullbacks” nonsense. I’m actually surprised you think modern centre backs need any aerial prowess.

Read it again. You’ve not paid attention to a lot of the thread if it’s took you til just now to see the numbers around Nyambe’s assists. I thought you were just ignoring it.

Your point is getting pretty convoluted so. If you don't think a centre half needs to be able to head it, I don't know what else I can say. They obviously do need to be able to do it. Like the better full backs need to consistently bring something to the team in attack. Hopefully these 4 famous assists are just the start for Nyambe so. From what I have seen from watching him with my eyes, he can be wasteful in the opposition half 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The club still haven't shared the starting 11 to Instagram. Has the social media guy gone on his holidays? 

The club are taking part in a highly publicised social media boycott. You must have missed that.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The club still haven't shared the starting 11 to Instagram. Has the social media guy gone on his holidays? 

Part of the current “protest”?

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Don't you read the news??..

Now, back to Waco's scones..

Do you say 'scon' like john or 'scone' like bone..

14 minutes ago, Meesh said:

Waco's scones are the main talking point before the game! 😄 And he's not even in scone country. Texas is very diverse!

He should be tucking into pork and beans after hitching his critter to the mantlepiece. (C/O Tony Hancock)

Rotherham with lots to play for as Derby will surely get done at Swansea.  LOL

I'm finishing off some lovely chocolate cake with a cup of tea.  I'll update later on tonight's food and drink plans.

COYBs

3 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Rotherham with lots to play for as Derby will surely get done at Swansea.  LOL

I'm finishing off some lovely chocolate cake with a cup of tea.  I'll update later on tonight's food and drink plans.

COYBs

This is the gist of it; first, conviviality &  friendship; 2nd, viands & beverage talk; 3rd, the game. 

Anyone noticed that we've only named 8 subs on a 9 sub bench. Is Mowbray that stubborn about not bringing some youth players into the last few games?