BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v QPR (h) - 26/2/22

38 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I can't understand those critical of Johnson, today. He was solid, passed well and put his foot in.

All our players put a shift in although it is clear that Pickering is still off the pace, that will come.

Goal scoring remains the problem but as long as our defence is sound plus a bit of luck we can grind out the 1-0 wins.

I have watched QPR quite a bit this season. Today they were very poor and nowhere near the attacking threat they can be but I'm happy to give our defenders credit for that.

It wasn't until the 2nd half that I noticed Chair at all and Willock, I just rechecked to see if he played.

Anyway, thank you Barnsley. Shit town but good win today.

I thought Johnson was solid too especially as he's had limited game time. He's gonna be needed too I imagine, I think Trav is 1 booking away from a ban.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Gav said:

😂

Only Fulham and Bournemouth have scored more, I’d like to say nice try, but it wasn’t even that….

Not sure what you’re getting at.  What do you mean nice try?

It’s a seriously alarming stat that over the last 10 games every team in the league have scored more goals than us.

Pre-Christmas we were flying, dangerous and Brereton was free-scoring. However we now look badly  in need of a goal threat. Fortunately the rock solid defence still looks good and we can generally still control games in general play such as today.

But the difference between what got us to become the 3rd highest scorers in the league and where we have been since the turn of the year is alarming. We’ve still got a massive chance of the playoffs but Martonrover is right that it looks like we are now lacking the fire power to win games. Obviously a fully fit Diaz and getting an interested Rothwell back hopefully solves that problem, but at the moment we lack anyone who is showing a goal scorers instinct.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought in the periods when QPR got their passing game going they looked pretty slick in midfield.

They did but struggled with our intensity and aggression.

For 85% of the match, thought they looked bang average.

I would strongly fancy our chances against them in any play off match

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Not sure what you’re getting at.  What do you mean nice try?

It’s a seriously alarming stat that over the last 10 games every team in the league have scored more goals than us.

Pre-Christmas we were flying, dangerous and Brereton was free-scoring. However we now look badly  in need of a goal threat. Fortunately the rock solid defence still looks good and we can generally still control games in general play such as today.

But the difference between what got us to become the 3rd highest scorers in the league and where we have been since the turn of the year is alarming. We’ve still got a massive chance of the playoffs but Martonrover is right that it looks like we are now lacking the fire power to win games. Obviously a fully fit Diaz and getting an interested Rothwell back hopefully solves that problem, but at the moment we lack anyone who is showing a goal scorers instinct.

I would think every team in the league has also conceded more goals than us those 10 games!

It's a refreshing change going into games knowing you don't need to score 2 or 3 goals to win or even draw!

Just look how far we went under Kendall's reign where we seemed to win 1-0 for fun!

Keep the back door closed and you always have a chance.

Even without Brereton, I think we have enough players to score enough goals to give us the draws and wins needed.  Our run in is very favourable and I can see the goals starting to come on a much more regular basis.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

We were really at it today, unbelievable effort from all 14 players.

Kaminski - Didnt have lots to do, but was calm and a key ingredient to another clean sheet. 7

Nyambe - feel for the lad getting the injury, hopefully wont be out too long and we see him in the blue and white halves once more. Was doing okay from a defensive point of view, although didnt offer as much as usual going forwards. - 7

Lenihan - Grew into the game after some uncharacteristic mistakes first half, was solid enough -7

Van Ecke - I'm running out of words for this lad "a young Vincent Kompany". Outstanding again, did play the odd stray ball, but more than made up for it with some outstanding tackling, interceptions and general play - 9

Wharton - Another comfortable game for Scott, with his central partners totally shut out a QPR side, and prevented them playing 8

Pickering - We've really missed this lad, solid game, kept his winger quiet and was a willing runner covering for 2 at times when Khadra didnt track back -7

Travis - another dynamo performance in Midfield. He is never going to be hitting 35 yard killer passes, hitting 25 yard worldies or dribbling past 4 players. However the way he breaks play down and throws himself about, winds the opposition up, and never stops running has him as one of our most important players. Was fantastic today 9

Johnson - He has'nt seen much football this season, but offers some more physical grit in centre midfield from a defensive point of view. Was solid today, and with Travis won the midfield battle. Will be a key player for the run in - 8

Gallagher - I'm one of his biggest critics, but today for the hour or so he played, he played well. Better ball retention, won some key headers, played the right passes and hurried the oppositions defence into mistakes. - 8

Dolan - scarey to think that was the Boy wonders first start since November, how we will never know. Was head and shoulders the quality on show at Ewood today from either side. They just had no answers to his trickery, speed or tecnique. Had Giles lifted his head and squared the ball second half, Dolan would of had a goal to top off an excellent display -10

Khadra - he has the tools, but just not worked out how to best use them. At times his skill is breathtaking but decision making lets him down, when he dont pass or runs down blind alleys. Missed a couple of great chances before scoring a free-kick that only a few around the country would of attempted. Its a big goal in our season, and in him and Dolan, we need them both on the pitch as at times the two were just unstoppable. -8

Zeefuik - took a few minutes to settle but then made some big challenges and won key duels. Full of heart and dont mess about. 8

Hedges - important he got minutes on pitch and timing was about right to replace Gallagher. Saw enough to see he has some potential, and was solid change - 7

Giles - Was unlucky to lose his place in side, another good shift, although should of squared for Dolan 7

TM - We hear QPR were poor today, but thats an injustice to how well we played and made them poor. He made the big calls in leaving certain players out, he got his changes right, at the right time, and ultimately we've got three points against a side who were in form and prior to kickoff sat above us. Without doubt this is our biggest result of the season so far, because the wheels have been falling off in terms of results. 

Good summary.

But ... Pre game QPR were certainly not an 'in form' team and were above us mainly due to our dismal run of results.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

18 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mackaday was not bought as a cure for our goal scoring woes for this season.

Repeatedly saying he was will not make it so.

If he was then signing an u23 player to help spearhead a promotion push was a stupid move,you want some experience when going for promotion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Mowbray logic.

Picking Johnson who genuinely can't pass a ball, and Gallagher who can't hold a ball up or head a ball or dribble

It turned out to be good logic. Suppose Johnson was the natural replacement for Rothwell and was outstanding.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Dolan had some ridiculous criticism recently but already showing what he can bring to the team he’s relentless 

I havent seen much if any criticism of him, what has been said?

Very good today, does need to provide more in terms of goals/assists though but so much energy.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Like us, they had players missing today.

On this point, has any team in the league had injury woes as bad as us?

Bearing in mind we've not had our best player (imo) available all season for starters. Would Fulham be top without Mitrovic?

After our recent run - and only around two and a half days after what could have been a demoralising defeat at Sheffield, taking into account the injuries as well I thought Rovers were tremendous. To have the spirit they showed from the first minute to the last was probably more than we could have expected. 

Everybody played their part but Dolan and Kedra never gave QPR’s back four a breather. They chased everything while their defending from the front meant  QPR never really got control of the game. Defensively the three at the back won everything in the air and didn’t miss much on the floor either.

My MOTM was Dolan. Superb today.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They could/would have replaced him, we couldn’t/didn’t.

They might have replaced him, but 34 goals at this point is one hell of a gap to fill and I'd say highly unlikely they'd have ended up with someone hitting those figures.

54 minutes ago, den said:

After our recent run - and only around two and a half days after what could have been a demoralising defeat at Sheffield, taking into account the injuries as well I thought Rovers were tremendous. To have the spirit they showed from the first minute to the last was probably more than we could have expected. 

Everybody played their part but Dolan and Kedra never gave QPR’s back four a breather. They chased everything while their defending from the front meant  QPR never really got control of the game. Defensively the three at the back won everything in the air and didn’t miss much on the floor either.

My MOTM was Dolan. Superb today.

Yes, I was going to write yesterday that the various criticisms of Dolan on this forum were way over the top. He's a young kid making his way. He has natural talent and his energy and persistence are inspirational.

Same goes for Gallagher in a different way. He is limited in some respects but he is nowhere near as bad as some claim. 

Never worth £5M at the time we signed him but that's another story and not his fault.

Edited by 47er

First 15 minutes they couldn't get out of their own half. But we didn't score......

Then the game developed into an extremely entertaining one. QPR were a good side. They played as well as Nottm Forest. Score could have been 3-2 to Rovers at half time.

I thought every Rovers player played well. That includes Pickering and Johnson, although I was moaning about Johnson at half time. All the subs played well. Zeefuik got the ball and started to beat every opponent brilliantly albeit heading towards his own goal. 🥴

A good game fought out between two good sides. Sky will be pleased.

Oh. P.S. Van Hecke is a truly class player. He is superb.