BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No one has ever suggested signing players for the sake of it, for some reason you think the only alternative to what we have at the moment is to sign shite or pay stupid money.

Suggest you look at how much activity there is in the Championship transfers market. Not much at all. 

Its very slow.

Clubs aren't releasing players at the minute. That's the market we are in

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Suggest you look at how much activity there is in the Championship transfers market. Not much at all. 

Its very slow.

Clubs aren't releasing players at the minute. That's the market we are in

The seasons started that’s why.

How are we going to persuade other championship clubs to sell players of the standard we want - when the window closes very shortly? How?

We can blame Greg Broughton or anyone else, but this situation was avoidable. Fans could see what was going to happen as the season drew to a close and THE OWNERS DID NOTHING. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Christ a couple of bad performances and the hysteria is off the charts! 4 wins from 6 games and the window isn't even shut yet. 

the performances are a concern,not the results,you can`t win every week,only time to panic is if jdt keeps the same tactics,which are clearly not working,the rest of the division has us figured,let them roll it along the backline,sit off,pressure them in midfield and they`ll either give it back to us or hit it long,either way,we`ll get the ball back,i just hope jdt can see it

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s like Buckley went on his holidays in summer and never came back. Either that or his twin came in his place.

If you think back to last season we had Travis, Rothwell and Buckley working as a trio, all working hard in central areas. Buckley would drop back from false 9 and Travis and Rothwell covering a lot of ground centrally.

We've lost Rothwell and we have dropped Buckley alongside Travis and given the other role to Sammie or Hedges who play a lot further up than Buckley did. What's happening is Buckley and Travis are spread very thin while we are overloaded up top and we really struggle to get hold of the ball.

When we changed at half time against Sheff Utd to have Buckley, Trav and Edun in the middle three it was a big improvement, but I do think Rothwells ability to cover ground is sorely missed.

My diagnosis is we need to get additional help in the middle who can cover the ground like Rothwell did  Morton, Garrett, Wharton, Edun whoever. I do think that group though may just not be physical enough.

But if we give Buckley the right support we will see him back to his best.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's absolutely irrelevant how little business other clubs are doing. If we have a 'healthy' budget how on earth does the lack of activity affect us?

Well if we sign Styles, Bowler and Van Den Berg that is our budget gone for the season. I think they need at least 2 more players on top so at the moment they are trying to balance the requirements of needing 5-6 more players with £7m and pretty much all players we need are in the £3-5m bracket. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phili said:

Well if we sign Styles, Bowler and Van Den Berg that is our budget gone for the season. I think they need at least 2 more players on top so at the moment they are trying to balance the requirements of needing 5-6 more players with £7m and pretty much all players we need are in the £3-5m bracket. 

Not a chance with Bowler or Styles I think unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, phili said:

And how long do we wait? Right now we are desperate for players as confirmed by Tomasson. He sounded as frustrated as the fans in his interview yesterday. Besides that and more importantly nobody knows how much we have to spend.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

In the last 2 games we have not only lost but have been uncompetitive due to how short our squad has been, so 6 points surrendered. Very few if any Championship squads are stretched like ours, having to keep flogging a 17 year old who isn't ready.

No one has ever suggested signing players for the sake of it, for some reason you think the only alternative to what we have at the moment is to sign shite or pay stupid money.

Is there a period of time to which you suggest that people totally withhold opinion on him on an internet messageboard?

Opinions are fine but impulsive judgements have a habit of sometimes coming back to bite you on the arse...

39 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Sorry that is nonsense. The majority of teams that needed signings have been very busy. We were up there in terms of bodies needed and are one of the lowest for incomings.

I agree, this notion that you have to wait until the end of every window to get the right sort of quality in is absolute tosh imo.

I would say in general that the most sought after players go first, at whatever level you're at.

The closer you get to the end of the window (also in general) you tend to be left with players the selling Clubs want rid of for whatever reason. Or, if it's someone they don't really want to sell, they have you over a barrel by that point and you have to pay through the nose for the privilege

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

If you think back to last season we had Travis, Rothwell and Buckley working as a trio, all working hard in central areas. Buckley would drop back from false 9 and Travis and Rothwell covering a lot of ground centrally.

We've lost Rothwell and we have dropped Buckley alongside Travis and given the other role to Sammie or Hedges who play a lot further up than Buckley did. What's happening is Buckley and Travis are spread very thin while we are overloaded up top and we really struggle to get hold of the ball.

When we changed at half time against Sheff Utd to have Buckley, Trav and Edun in the middle three it was a big improvement, but I do think Rothwells ability to cover ground is sorely missed.

My diagnosis is we need to get additional help in the middle who can cover the ground like Rothwell did  Morton, Garrett, Wharton, Edun whoever. I do think that group though may just not be physical enough.

But if we give Buckley the right support we will see him back to his best.

We switched from a 3-4-3 to a 4-2-3-1 at half time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And how long do we wait? Right now we are desperate for players as confirmed by Tomasson. He sounded as frustrated as the fans in his interview yesterday. Besides that and more importantly nobody knows how much we have to spend.

They have to be the right players and fit into our budget. At the moment that feels like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phili said:

They have to be the right players and fit into our budget. At the moment that feels like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

They have to be cheap and not wanted by one of the bigger budgets in the league. 

We’ve been here before…

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

Given he keeps talking about a project, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was to look as follows:

Window 1 (now) - try and plug gaps

Window 2 (Xmas) - start to offload the ones JDT doesn’t like, sell Ben if mid table or worse, start to buy to his preferred way of playing.

Window 3 - clear out the unwanted, start to buy quality, promote a couple of U-23s.

Window 4 - improve positions that disappoint.

And that’s best case IMO.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, phili said:

We bought Brittain and Szmodics for decent money but now when our need is as great as are suddenly prevaricating and waiting. Waiting until the last minute is folly for me. It's too much of a roll of the dice. We need to be decisive and if we need to free up some money for wages get rid of the likes of Butterworth.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Given he keeps talking about a project, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was to look as follows:

Window 2 (Xmas) - start to offload the ones JDT doesn’t like, sell Ben if mid table or worse, start to buy to his preferred way of playing.

Window 3 - clear out the unwanted, start to buy quality, promote a couple of U-23s.

It was never going to be a one window fix, we have too many average/inconsistent players.

At the minute though, it seems we are struggling to plug the gaps!

17 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Can’t sell Ben if we’re in a relegation scrap. 

• Like 1

So now we have another "project"

Mowbray was project No 1 from 2017-22

Tomasson is project No 2 from 2022 - ?

The good thing about "projects" for CEOs is they provide secure, well paid employment over the long term 

No wonder Waggott loves his projects

• Like 6

The good thing about 'projects' is that they postpone any analysis of performance or results. Like so many other things it can be dressed up as a multi-year process, the end of which never arrives. A shite transfer window, or poor results, can just be brushed off with "oh well, this is a long term job so don't expect more at this early stage"

As above it keeps the gravy train going and kicks the can down the road to a later date. Very convenient.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

So now we have another "project"

Mowbray was project No 1 from 2017-22

Tomasson is project No 2 from 2022 - ?

The good thing about "projects" for CEOs is they provide secure, well paid employment over the long term 

No wonder Waggott loves his projects

Exactly

We finished 8th last season and where in the top few for a lot of it so why not for once just make some smart recruitment. Invest a bit, look at it as a one off and just have a real go on the back of last season ?

Can always revert to projects and journeys if it doesn't work.

• Like 1