BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 9/4/22

The way out this league is team spirit. Every team that is promoted has a strong team spirit. I don’t care if we’re not the best team in the league, but I want them to understand and always try. I don’t want anything posh or fancy, I want someone that gets what we want. Bring in Gareth Ainsworth. 

• Like 4

He started with a good line up up top today but as iv'e been saying all along the constant changes on the front 3 are biting us on the backside now. They played like strangers i lost count how many times one ran one way whilst the other passed another way or two ran into the same space.

My big question is what the hell have they been doing in training all week ?   Why were they all so lead footed today like they were wading in treacle. Why so little to no movement and so many hanging onto the ball ?

That has to come from the managers instructions at no point did i see him gesturing to them to pick up the pace or get forwards.  Since that first half v Derby the performances have been getting more bizarre by the week.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

Putting aside today’s abject showing for a minute, am I the only one to correlate our post Christmas demise with the arrival of our new stadium announcer? I can understand the odd mistake at first (there were many) but today took the proverbial. It was clear that Gally scored the goal given the abysmal touch he took that nearly ruined the chance completely. The MOTM was also ballsed up and a substitution as well. Frankly it’s a dim reflection of the whole club at present. 

I wonder where on earth they found him, and I also wonder what they are paying him to do the job so incompetently. How hard can it be to find someone to do that job? There’s literally hundreds of people who’d love to do it and wouldn’t ask for a penny. At least they would know our players names.

• Like 5

Ainsworth wouldn't be mentioned if he wasn't a Rovers fan. The problem at the moment isn't a lack of effort, we don't need a manager "who knows the club" as if the remit is noticeably different here compared to elsewhere. We need the most competent man to get the best results, nothing to do with who they support.

I personally don't see the point in appointing anyone new now, I get why people would want to roll the dice but by the time someone has been selected, brought in and settled in, the season is over.

• Like 1

Football management, arguably, is a lot tougher now. In the past, little thought often went into formation and tactics. Most players spent their entire careers as part of a 4-4-2 set-up and 3-5-2 was the exotic alternative.

That's, apparently, all changed, at the elite level, any way. We've moved to what might be called the continental style of possession and a formation involving, often, three forwards and full backs becoming the creative outlet in teams.

There is little scope for the direct play of a Beckham or a David Bentley in this formation. Even a Damien Duff might struggle to adapt, given that wingers are meant to double as strikers.

The extreme version of the possession and press game even dispenses with the target striker. The game becomes all about pressing and counter-attack, with some managers preferring another nippy player up front rather than the traditional target man or the No.10, who might slow down the game. Perhaps, you might compare it to 5-a-side.

These variations and changes have forced managers to think more about tactics. In my opinion, the game will evolve and we will see a return of 4-5-1 and more direct football, which can be very effective, as a counter-weight to the possession game.

Nonetheless, the changes in the game have, I believe, left many behind, including fans, players and managers. I feel lost, at times, understanding tactics. I believe that Tony Mowbray is also somewhat confused and left behind. 

Mowbray is often playing a traditional No.10 type, in Buckley, and a traditional No.9, in Gallagher, in a three man forward line, which simply isn't working. To my mind, Mowbray is tactically stuck in traditional tactics whilst attempting to match the formation of newer styles. 

The result is a dysfunctional mash-up that just doesn't work. Despite having Adam Armstrong and Harvey Elliot performing well last year, as individuals, we finished 15th. This campaign saw a good run but it hasn't been maintained and increasingly looks like a purple patch. Incidentally, the run started with playing two wingers, in Poveda and Khadra. Now, Gallagher has been returned, usually, to his bizarre wing role.

Khadra, Gallagher, Zeefuik, Buckley and Giles have all played the right wing forward role this season. They are all very different players, suggesting a lack of coherence in the choices and a tendency to experiment in the absence of principles or understanding.

All this is a way of saying, Mowbray and many others, would do well to go back to what they know, rather than faddishly trying to match that which they or their players barely understand.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ainsworth wouldn't be mentioned if he wasn't a Rovers fan. The problem at the moment isn't a lack of effort, we don't need a manager "who knows the club" as if the remit is noticeably different here compared to elsewhere. We need the most competent man to get the best results, nothing to do with who they support.

I personally don't see the point in appointing anyone new now, I get why people would want to roll the dice but by the time someone has been selected, brought in and settled in, the season is over.

Ainsworth will no doubt be be a damned sight better than whoever we end up with when Mowbray eventually leaves.

Apart from the chance of some new manager ‘bounce’, the benefit of bringing in a new manager now is to give him the opportunity to assess ahead of preparations for next season.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

Putting aside today’s abject showing for a minute, am I the only one to correlate our post Christmas demise with the arrival of our new stadium announcer? I can understand the odd mistake at first (there were many) but today took the proverbial. It was clear that Gally scored the goal given the abysmal touch he took that nearly ruined the chance completely. The MOTM was also ballsed up and a substitution as well. Frankly it’s a dim reflection of the whole club at present. 

I swear he said when talking about the cheque it was towards tony parkes car. I may have misheard but I didn’t mishear every other sentence being messed up. He is appalling at his job along with everyone else in the dugout and above

• Like 3

The signs were there the other day for a performance like that and him not seeming that bothered. We are back to him saying fans judge on results but i judge them on effort and development.

He is not, never has been nor will be a promotion driven coach here.

• Like 7

• Moderation Lead

Sure it’s been mentioned and I’ve not seen it, so apologies if so.

But, what was that announcer smoking when he announced the goal scorer as BBD and not Gallagher? Absolutely amateur hour.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DE. said:

The season is over anyway as long as Mowbray is in charge. Even if a new appointment didn't have any noticeable immediate impact, at least they'd have a handful of games to assess the squad before the summer began.  

It doesn't matter anyway though. Venky's won't be removing Mowbray until the summer - if he's removed at all - so the season will draw to a slow, painful conclusion with the manager taking us right back to where we normally sit - mid-table. Whilst I agree with others that this is a bang average league this year, I don't think we're above average in any way. Brereton was for half a season, and that was the difference. Without BBD banging in the goals we showed ourselves to be a relegation calibre team, as was predicted at the beginning of the season. Just fortunate we had Diaz in form for as long as we did.

23 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Ainsworth will no doubt be be a damned sight better than whoever we end up with when Mowbray eventually leaves.

Apart from the chance of some new manager ‘bounce’, the benefit of bringing in a new manager now is to give him the opportunity to assess ahead of preparations for next season.

The thing is though, we would have to really rush through the process of appointing a manager and would be potentially eliminating options that are more likely to be available in the summer for the sake of giving him a few games before the summer, with a squad of which many will be off. Even if we could get someone appropriate in and quickly, I dont think much could be learnt in at most 5 games, but most likely less.

The focus should purely be on this season anyway, there is no point focusing on next season when as much as it is an outside chance, we are 7th going into the final 5 games. We shouldnt throw in the towel now as unlikely as it seems. 

I get why a roll of the dice for this season would be wanted but I dont think a new manager could have an impact with less than a month to go. Short term, I doubt it would work and you are going to struggle to get someone in for just 5 games. Longer term, you are rushing through an appointment with a potentially limited shortlist due to managers having contracts/jobs to do elsewhere in the remaining games. I dont get the clamour for Ainsworth but perfect example, hes 7th in League 1, would he want to leave that early, and would it be much costlier even if he is willing to pay compensation?

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is though, we would have to really rush through the process of appointing a manager and would be potentially eliminating options that are more likely to be available in the summer for the sake of giving him a few games before the summer, with a squad of which many will be off. Even if we could get someone appropriate in and quickly, I dont think much could be learnt in at most 5 games, but most likely less.

The focus should purely be on this season anyway, there is no point focusing on next season when as much as it is an outside chance, we are 7th going into the final 5 games. We shouldnt throw in the towel now as unlikely as it seems. 

I get why a roll of the dice for this season would be wanted but I dont think a new manager could have an impact with less than a month to go. Short term, I doubt it would work and you are going to struggle to get someone in for just 5 games. Longer term, you are rushing through an appointment with a potentially limited shortlist due to managers having contracts/jobs to do elsewhere in the remaining games. I dont get the clamour for Ainsworth but perfect example, hes 7th in League 1, would he want to leave that early, and would it be much costlier even if he is willing to pay compensation?

I agree with you that such an appointment at this stage would require a level of foresight Venky's and those working for them do not possess. People at the club would need to have seen and understood that things were going badly wrong at least a couple of months ago and began sounding out potential options should Mowbray completely fuck things up (as has come to pass). We can be sure that nothing like this has happened, and if TM was removed at best you'd get Johnson possibly leading the team for the remaining games. 

With that said, not sure Johnson would be a worse option? He'd presumably at least play everybody in their correct positions and we probably wouldn't have to worry about Gallagher on the wing or Bradley Johnson or Bucko playing as a false 9. 

Pointless to even bother speculating though, as we know Mowbray isn't going anywhere. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Sure it’s been mentioned and I’ve not seen it, so apologies if so.

But, what was that announcer smoking when he announced the goal scorer as BBD and not Gallagher? Absolutely amateur 

He should have gone to spec savers.

On 08/04/2022 at 07:39, Mattyblue said:

Being Tony Parkes Day, will Swag have found that can he kicked down the road three years ago re permanent tribute?

That would be a no then.

Obviously too far buried in all the weeds around Ewood…

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The next manager should have been under consideration for, at the very least, the last month. Obviously it won't have been, this is Venkys Blackburn Rovers after all. But it also won't have been given proper consideration by the summer either I suspect. So it's rush it now, with a season that looks doomed anyway, or rush it in July. I'd rather rush it now (well I'd rather have prepared properly to do it now), meaning we already have a manager in situ at the end of the season who then has adequate time to plan his transfer activity, because there will need to be a lot of it.

The other flipside is it could give us a chance at scraping the playoffs again. You refute this, but there are examples upon examples of new managers coming in and giving the club and players a boost for a few games. The famous honeymoon period. It might not work, it doesn't always, but it appears a damned sight more likely than TM pulling this one out the bag and getting us promoted at this stage of proceedings. The team is limp, deflated, has possibly lost faith in the manager and his tombola tactics. I'll strut around Darwen with nothing on but high heels if he gets us promoted now. Absolutely we should roll the dice.

As for Ainsworth, two things. I doubt he'd be the best available if we were determined and shrewd (we are neither) but I do think he would be a better manager than Mowbray. The other thing...why would he not want to swap a shot at promotion to the Championship for already being in the Championship with a shot at promotion to the Premiership, and at his boyhood club? He'd bite our hands off.

One point you make that does merit considering is that there could be better options available in the summer. This is unknown though - for all we know the better option is available now and will move before then, or not be interested in a move to a decimated squad once the playoff prospect and achievable promotion bonus are gone. 

I don't know the full list of who is available, so it might not be worth doing now, although I wouldn't just be looking for out of work managers anyway. Someone who is suddenly available in the summer has probably just been fired, or resigned from the stress of managing a basket case club, which would also make him a poor choice at our basket case club.

The exception I can think of would be Rooney, a rare case of an acceptable relegation due to the huge points deduction and implosion at the club. But as I said earlier, he will surely go to a top tier side.

But generally we should look to steal a manager on the up, which will usually involve paying some compensation. Obviously we aren't too flush so it couldn't be millions or anything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Disagree on both counts.

Mowbray's lack of passion and his 'it's not 1995' attitude are major contributing factors to our lack of success on the pitch. Being manager of Blackburn Rovers is just a job to him. He would rather be elsewhere. I think Ainsworth is worth a punt based on his results at Wycombe on a very small budget and his approach to the management in general - he appears to be a good man manager as well as a good football manager. He has served his apprentiship and deserves a shot. The fact that he loves the club and may well be more proactive in dealing with the owners is an added bonus.

As for potting Mowbray now - why not, get Warnock in and see if he can get 3 or 4 wins from the kast few games to give us a chance of the playoffs. New manager bounce does seem to exist. If it doesn't work then we've lost nothing. Mowbray won't get the requried results.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The next manager should have been under consideration for, at the very least, the last month. Obviously it won't have been, this is Venkys Blackburn Rovers after all. But it also won't have been given proper consideration by the summer either I suspect. So it's rush it now, with a season that looks doomed anyway, or rush it in July. I'd rather rush it now (well I'd rather have prepared properly to do it now), meaning we already have a manager in situ at the end of the season who then has adequate time to plan his transfer activity, because there will need to be a lot of it.

The other flipside is it could give us a chance at scraping the playoffs again. You refute this, but there are examples upon examples of new managers coming in and giving the club and players a boost for a few games. The famous honeymoon period. It might not work, it doesn't always, but it appears a damned sight more likely than TM pulling this one out the bag and getting us promoted at this stage of proceedings. The team is limp, deflated, has possibly lost faith in the manager and his tombola tactics. I'll strut around Darwen with nothing on but high heels if he gets us promoted now. Absolutely we should roll the dice.

As for Ainsworth, two things. I doubt he'd be the best available if we were determined and shrewd (we are neither) but I do think he would be a better manager than Mowbray. The other thing...why would he not want to swap a shot at promotion to the Championship for already being in the Championship with a shot at promotion to the Premiership, and at his boyhood club? He'd bite our hands off.

One point you make that does merit considering is that there could be better options available in the summer. This is unknown though - for all we know the better option is available now and will move before then, or not be interested in a move to a decimated squad once the playoff prospect and achievable promotion bonus are gone. 

I don't know the full list of who is available, so it might not be worth doing now, although I wouldn't just be looking for out of work managers anyway. Someone who is suddenly available in the summer has probably just been fired, or resigned from the stress of managing a basket case club, which would also make him a poor choice at our basket case club.

The exception I can think of would be Rooney, a rare case of an acceptable relegation due to the huge points deduction and implosion at the club. But as I said earlier, he will surely go to a top tier side.

But generally we should look to steal a manager on the up, which will usually involve paying some compensation. Obviously we aren't too flush so it couldn't be millions or anything.

Are there any examples of managers being appointed so late and getting teams up? 

12 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Disagree on both counts.

Mowbray's lack of passion and his 'it's not 1995' attitude are major contributing factors to our lack of success on the pitch. Being manager of Blackburn Rovers is just a job to him. He would rather be elsewhere. I think Ainsworth is worth a punt based on his results at Wycombe on a very small budget and his approach to the management in general - he appears to be a good man manager as well as a good football manager. He has served his apprentiship and deserves a shot. The fact that he loves the club and may well be more proactive in dealing with the owners is an added bonus.

As for potting Mowbray now - why not, get Warnock in and see if he can get 3 or 4 wins from the kast few games to give us a chance of the playoffs. New manager bounce does seem to exist. If it doesn't work then we've lost nothing. Mowbray won't get the requried results.

Its a job to all managers, the 1995 comment was just him asked an awkward question after a defeat and getting all crabby and defensive as managers often do when trying to justify poor results. If he wanted to be elsewhere he would. Hes always been how he is now, reserved and fairly dour.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Are there any examples of managers being appointed so late and getting teams up? 

Its a job to all managers, the 1995 comment was just him asked an awkward question after a defeat and getting all crabby and defensive as managers often do when trying to justify poor results. If he wanted to be elsewhere he would. Hes always been how he is now, reserved and fairly dour.

Dalglish did it but obviously not quite as late