BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - 17/12/22

Better thank God. Being shot of Travis’s negative influence is refreshing of itself.
Buckley isn’t at his best but it’s all his to play for……Morton made too many serious mistakes today…….we were lucky to survive them all! 
i like Ayala and it’s good to see him organising others firmly. Hyam will make a decent captain alongside him I think. It was sad to see Daniel made to look crap (in previous games) because he’s had to conform to the tippy tippy stuff imposed on him. It’s just not him.

JRC did ok didn’t he? Amazing. Gallagher still has the control of a house brick and today that was on display  a few times.

Dack had some excellent touches but I’m not convinced he’s back (or, sadly, ever will be.)

BBD drifted aimlessly until the end when he seemed to wake up. Dolan was my MoM I think…..tireless and some end product at last. Kaminski had his usual couple of big moments. We’re lucky to have him. 
I forgot Harry….but he did his bit in the Alamo defence. I noticed that not so many attacks came straight through the middle today.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

image.thumb.png.9a881a10af11428bd432cd3c4fe309bf.png

5 points clear of 7th at the halfway stage - I think we'd all have taken that at the beginning of the season.

The manner in which we achieved those three little red squares takes the shine off it though. 

Don't get me wrong, I am delighted with the win today but its going to take a lot more than a win against a Norwich side in turmoil to placate the feelings I have after the last two gutless and pathetic displays. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

The manner in which we achieved those three little red squares takes the shine off it though. 

Don't get me wrong, I am delighted with the win today but its going to take a lot more than a win against a Norwich side in turmoil to placate the feelings I have after the last two gutless and pathetic displays. 

They actually give me hope. Two bad results under Mowbray normally led to a 15 match death spiral. We seem to bounce back quickly under JDT. 

• Like 3

• Backroom

Don't think we were very good going forward, had some dodgy moments at the back and played ourselves into trouble a few times as is standard. Norwich were rubbish though and the crowd only came alive to sing about sacking the manager or booing. Seems like the match and performance came across better on TV than it did live. Sitting in freezing conditions probably plays a part in that!

Ultimately happy with a 2-0 away result regardless of how we achieved it. We'll need to continue improving performance wise to maintain our current position though. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Whilst I agree, 2 dire results don't spoil half a season where we find ourselves comfortably in 3rd place.

• Like 7

Maybe going to be a bit unpopular here after a good away win. I’ll back @J*B here, Norwich we’re abysmal. If you want opponents to face when things aren’t going great, then games against opponents like todays are a great help.

Rovers worked their socks off to a man, from the KO. Absolutely the opposite from their performance against North End. Defensively we coped fairly well but Norwich just didn’t test us like I’m sure they could have done. Nobody let themselves down today for sure but I just thought our quality on the ball wasn’t anywhere near good enough, or anywhere near as good as it should be.

However, after the latest results/performances we’ll all settle for the result. As I said, built on pure graft but you can’t get away with just that every game.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Absolutely ridiculous behaviour by the Norwich fans- and symptomatic of the entitlement demonstrated by too many fans in the modern era. They are 5th in the table, and have a manager who has already achieved one promotion to the Premier League via the playoffs. They should stick with Dean Smith and not listen to the clowns baying from the stands or behind their keyboards.

It shows how well and managed they were by Daniel Farke before Dean Smith was appointment. I think they would be best suited to keeping with Smith and back him in January with some signings

• Like 1

Really good result tonight, Norwich were really poor and you can understand the frustration towards Smith, but 

We just look so much more balanced with that formation and with no obsession over naive playing it out from the back, and we were really good off the ball throughout. The key is Tomasson not being tempted to revert to type with the playing it out from the back and stupid experiments like inverted wing backs,

On the ball, we have to be much better in attack though, we wasted so many chances to create a shooting opportunity with a bad final pass or decision.

Hyam deserved the man of the match award, he was brilliant as was Ayala although he obviously succumbed to another injury with Wharton a very shaky sub. Both full backs were also very good, special praise for Rankin Costello who has come from the wilderness to put in a very assured performance. Kaminski came to our rescue when needed.

Buckley was superb in the first half although he waned in the second and was as guilty as anyone of poor decision making in attack, summed up when he overhit his pass after a sublime backheel by Dack who is a class above Szmodics and pressed as much as anyone. Morton gave the ball away a few times (one in particular nearly cost us in the first half) and can't play on the half turn, he is actually better at reading danger than in possession and it is little wonder that him and Travis sitting when we play it out from the back is so bad. Dolan like anyone often chose the wrong decision but he was more effective than Gallagher and Brereton who can play much better, especially the latter.

Also, it showed up the lack if quality in the league that those 2 teams are in the play offs.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Andy said:

Whilst I agree, 2 dire results don't spoil half a season where we find ourselves comfortably in 3rd place.

Whilst I agree, my worry is we struggle in "pressure" games.  We need to add some experience in the middle of the park for when we have the pressure games, like play offs or end of season shit or bust games....

• Like 6

Trav coming in for a lot of flack but ultimately if he played today, he'd have been fine.

Tonight, he would have been busting a gut to get about the pitch, putting in tackles, winning the ball back and making quick, forward passes to the attacker's. Would have played to his strengths a lot more.

What he wouldn't have been tasked with is taking the ball off a defender, on the edge of his own 18 yard box and trying and play it out from the back. Not his game, never has been, never will be.

Ultimately, he was left out and Buckley stepped in (and up), so the decision was the correct one.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, DE. said:

About to start heading up to Norwich, hoping at the very least we can achieve our first draw of the season. Praying we don't get hammered as I'm having to sit with the home supporters.

But isn't it sweet when you get a result like that, @DE.?

I remember sitting in the South Stand at Bloomfield Road in Blackpool's only Premier League season, alongside an old schoolmate, whose daughter's season ticket I'd borrowed (she was a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding that day). If you'd seen us as Brett Emerton's goal went in in the dying minutes of that game, you'd never have known that one of us was a season-ticket holder at Ewood!

• Like 3

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

But isn't it sweet when you get a result like that, @DE.?

I remember sitting in the South Stand at Bloomfield Road in Blackpool's only Premier League season, alongside an old schoolmate, whose daughter's season ticket I'd borrowed (she was a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding that day). If you'd seen us as Brett Emerton's goal went in in the dying minutes of that game, you'd never have known that one of us was a season-ticket holder at Ewood!

I'd preferred to have been sitting with the Rovers fans, but it was an experience being surrounded by mostly mutinous Norwich supporters for sure.

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley was superb in the first half although he waned in the second and was as guilty as anyone of poor decision making in attack, summed up when he overhit his pass after a sublime backheel by Dack who is a class above Szmodics and pressed as much as anyone. 

The goals aside, that backheel was the highlight of the match. Top quality. We should have capitalised from it but unfortunately the move broke down. 

• Like 2

Much better that. And much needed after our last 2 pathetic showings. I’m not getting too carried away just now, but cutting out some of the suicidal shite at the back was a start.

Dolan was brilliant for me. His effort and endeavour counts for a lot and seems encourage some of the others to graft harder. Dack did well and Buckley should be forcing Travis into the wilderness now. Ayala has to start when fit.

JRC has been dealt a really bad hand by Mowbray, he’ll never be a natural fullback (unlike Pickering who was solid - good to see him back after his iffy spell), but there’s a decent player in there. I think he looked quite good today and hopefully will be kept around and given a chance in a position he’s better suited to.

I don’t think Morton should be blocking the path of Wharton, Garrett and Harlock. Maybe also JRC.

• Like 8