BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - FAC3 - 8/1/23, 2pm

Draw in a few mins. 

Accrington Stanley or Boreham Wood (A) for me

Either we're off to a local with 40% of the crowd, or we're going to a brand new ground at a winnable side

Nice to get a win and keep an interest in the cup. I hate going out early, as it puts me off watching the other ties.

We rode our luck today, but dug in and ground it out. It was a tricky tie, so let’s hope to get a better draw in round 4.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Great result and nice way to do it. Showed yet again why we don't need CB's this window. We defend the box so well. 20+ Norwich corners all dealt with. Pears impressive, as were most. BBD perhaps the least?? Not easy to dampen a new managers first game like that, especially with such a young side out. Markanday is great but he's got to be less selfish at times.

Thought BBD was decent tbh. Caused them a few worries, created an amazing opportunity he then missed.

Worry for me is Travis. Never seen a player regress so much at such a young age. Looks like hes going to end up being frozen out, after starting the season as captain and two cracking goals. Whats really concerning is not the passing so much - we know its not his strongest suit - but that he is well behind the pace of game. He used to be ahead of the game. Whats happened?!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Did they create a clear cut chance? Maybe the fluffed header from the corner, but otherwise it was all hopeful shots.

I’ve seen them twice now against Rovers and they are thalli aren’t very good. They need to spend to go up.

Edited by Hasta

I thought Garrett was pretty decent today, Travis not so much. Should’ve been more comfortable towards the end because it’s ridiculous we weren’t awarded a penalty. I’m not as enamoured with Markanday as the majority seem to be, he showed some glimpses but he’s a fair way behind Dolan - Good chance for him to get some game time while he’s out though.

Probably the biggest frustration was not seeing Wharton come on. Would’ve liked to see Leonard get a run out ahead of Hedges too. Dack must be the first name on the team sheet again now.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Thought BBD was decent tbh. Caused them a few worries, created an amazing opportunity he then missed.

Worry for me is Travis. Never seen a player regress so much at such a young age. Looks like hes going to end up being frozen out, after starting the season as captain and two cracking goals. Whats really concerning is not the passing so much - we know its not his strongest suit - but that he is well behind the pace of game. He used to be ahead of the game. Whats happened?!

Certainly Garrett seems to have taken over that enforcer role from him. Just hope it's a blip , similar to Buckley who has looked good since coming back, albeit a couple of mistakes

Only managed to watch the 2nd half.

Dack's movement was a joy to watch. Seems like he's back to full fitness and confidence.
Pears caught almost everything thrown at him. Mr Safe Hands
JRC was good too when he came on, bar a back header pass which Pears got to it first.

Felt like we need a big target man upfront so that we can lump the ball too when we need to release the pressure. All the passing at the back was nervy to watch.

8 minutes ago, Hasta said:

So they are bound to draw when they meet and mean we end up not playing at all that weekend.

Is that how it works? I made a rookie mistake and booked to come over the weekend of the 27th January...flights and hotel booked. No game be a sickener.

I slated Pears under TM and TBF he was poor. Today he looked like a decent keeper so credit to him and his coaches.

Vale did more today than Hirst did in all his Rovers minutes. Put the effort in too.

Dack is back and looking the slimest he has ever been in a Rovers shirt.

Good overall Rovers performance and a home tie in the 4th round.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Others will be in a better position to say, but I wonder if it partly goes back to that Newcastle game in 2020, when Travis flew, in typical fashion, wholeheartedly and somewhat unnecessarily into a challenge and sustained a serious knee ligament injury. Prior to that, from what I vaguely recall, he was pretty much a stand out player for Rovers every game. I think he carried on playing with the injury during that match.

Since then, Travis has played virtually every game, when available, due to Mowbray failing to find a decent sub and that had continued until this season and the opportunity given to Garrett. It's probably too simplistic to put it down to physicality and it does seem that the midfielders are finding it hard to process the manager's tactics, but I suspect Travis has been overplayed over the years.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

I don't think Wharton looks anything special. The fact he's lauded as our best CM shows how urgently we need reinforcements in that area.  He should be around the bench coming on making cameos cutting his teeth aiding his development. But I think he has a long way to go.  Look forward to seeing his progress but I'm not getting excited.  Seen Duff and Dunn come through the ranks and he's not in that bracket at the moment.