BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Kenny and Souness business was as shrewd as mowbray's.  They didn't spend absolute millions on players.  Souness inherited an underperforming Dunn and jansen and turned them into stars. He also brought in the likes of friedel on a free loaned in berkovic. Spent a few hundred grand on the likes of byornabye. He turned rovers around in less than a season and a half

Come off it. This present team is largely a combination of loanees and academy grads.

Souness had a team of internationals and pros with promotions under their belt and/or years of PL experience. 

TM gets this squad up and it would be a monumental achievement, and it’s amazing the mental gymnastics some folk are going through to avoid holding their hands up.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Understand Mowbray's departure to WBA is 90% certain.

Stuck £50 on at 10/1.

5 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Looks like it's already done and it's Steve Bruce @Merceryou've cost me a £10

Brilliant 😂😂 @Mercer the biggest troll on BRFCS. I used to bite regularly but now I just laugh. He’s the best at what he does. Never fails to reel in a big one! 

• Like 2

I’d be worried if tony got the wba gig.

not for what he could do there but who he would try and take with him. Bucko, ash Phillips , etc 

let’s hope the next job tony gets is at a team less attractive than us (from a wages, recruitment pov) . 

I always thought he would end up at Blackpool after us , don’t know why 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Kenny and Souness business was as shrewd as mowbray's.  They didn't spend absolute millions on players.  Souness inherited an underperforming Dunn and jansen and turned them into stars. He also brought in the likes of friedel on a free loaned in berkovic. Spent a few hundred grand on the likes of byornabye. He turned rovers around in less than a season and a half

Kenny broke the English record for a player ---twice!! Sutton and Shearer. Sutton the highest cash transfer at the time.

World record for goalkeeper as well. He spent well but he did spend millions---unprecedented at the time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 47er said:

Kenny broke the English record for a player ---twice!! Sutton and Shearer. Sutton the highest cash transfer at the time.

World record for goalkeeper as well. He spent well but he did spend millions---unprecedented at the time.

I'm really talking about our promotion season.  Yes rovers were in a playoff position at the time but he got us over the line.  I doubt Mowbray could gey rovers up through the playoffs 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Come off it. This present team is largely a combination of loanees and academy grads.

Souness had a team of internationals and pros with promotions under their belt and/or years of PL experience. 

TM gets this squad up and it would be a monumental achievement, and it’s amazing the mental gymnastics some folk are going through to avoid holding their hands up.

I'm not arguing it would be a great achievement but there's no doubt Souness and Dalglish were far better managers. I would have far more trust in them keeping us up than Mowbray.  I just think if we go up it would be the perfect time to appoint someone better 

• Like 6

I think this discussion needs to be put on ice until the end of the season.

If he takes us up - hands up, great achievement.

But if he doesn't, let's see how happy we are next season when five of the current starting eleven (Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell, Van Hecke and Khedra) have left for nothing, two more, (Travis and Kaminsky) may leave for nothing next summer and Brereton has been sold.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 7

I think any talk of a new deal needs to wait until the end of the season. We have traditionally completely nosedived over February / March in the past. If he can keep us in the hunt (I'd be using 6th as an absolute minimum from our current position) then for me he'll have at least earned another crack at it. If we get promoted then he'll have earned a crack at the big time, even if I don't rate him as a manager,

However, if we do what we have every other year and go on a massive loss streak he has to go. To be honest I'd be getting rid the second it looks like we're going to drop out of contention and then seeing if we can ride a new manager bounce to save the season.

In any case, all hypothetical and we should just stick with how we are for now. Maybe the chance of a new deal will give Tony extra motivation to see the job through.

12 hours ago, 47er said:

United spent as much as us back then, but it seems to go unsaid. In fact the season we won the league, united team cost more than ours.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

They are greats of the game, Tony Mowbray isn’t, though saying that, apart from Rovers, Souness didn’t exactly pull up any trees as a manager in English football.

But for me, to get modern day Blackburn Rovers into the PL with this squad, with how the club is run, would be a far bigger achievement than promotion was with either of those two esteemed fellas.

In isolation it definitely would be although the bigger picture is different as they followed it up with more fantastic success. 

Again different times and different cheque book but if things were like for like not sure old Tone would be matching any of that. Still after the last decade just a play off challenge this season is a great effort to sign off with if he was to bow out in summer.

Of course, the club was gearing up for bigger things both times, and having winners like those two in situ was perfect.

However, for the stripped down operation we now are, to get this motley crew up, with Balaji instead of Jack, Swag instead of Williams, a team of largely young lads instead of PL and European Cup winners and internationals, it would be a phenomenal achievement.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ulrich said:

United spent as much as us back then, but it seems to go unsaid. In fact the season we won the league, united team cost more than ours.

The season we won the league I think Andy Cole alone cost united more than our entire transfer outlay that season? He certainly cost as much as Shearer and Sutton combined (albeit Shearer was bought 2 or 3 years earlier)

• Like 1

I do think that Mowbray not only deserves a new deal, but that its certainly in the best interests of the club right now. I'm hoping the rumour of some West Brom interest shimmys the powers that be along a little and they offer him a new contract.  2 years would be appropriate in my book.

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The season we won the league I think Andy Cole alone cost united more than our entire transfer outlay that season? He certainly cost as much as Shearer and Sutton combined (albeit Shearer was bought 2 or 3 years earlier)

Alex Fergus on and his media propaganda to tarnish our wonderful achievement 👍

• Like 2

On 02/02/2022 at 23:26, RevidgeBlue said:

If he takes us up - hands up, great achievement.

Its already been a great achievement to have this side in the current position we reside. The club and town have a bit of pride back too and thats down to this manager and these players. 

The Summer recruitment was an absolute shambles, we were beaten to almost every first choice option due to lack of funds, we lost our leading goal scorer and look what we've achieved.

Mowbray will already go down as a very good Blackburn Rovers manager, not many have promotions under the belts, if he takes this side up against a backdrop of the worst owners ever to own a football club, he'll go down in Blackburn Rovers history as one of the greats, if not the greatest. 

On 02/02/2022 at 21:23, roverandout said:

I'm not arguing it would be a great achievement but there's no doubt Souness and Dalglish were far better managers. I would have far more trust in them keeping us up than Mowbray.  I just think if we go up it would be the perfect time to appoint someone better 

If Mowbray got us up and then walked away he'd go down as the club legend he thinks he is.

Ideal scenario for both parties tbh.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Gav said:

Its already been a great achievement to have this side in the current position we reside. The club and town have a bit of pride back too and thats down to this manager and these players. 

The Summer recruitment was an absolute shambles, we were beaten to almost every first choice option due to lack of funds, we lost our leading goal scorer and look what we've achieved.

Mowbray will already go down as a very good Blackburn Rovers manager, not many have promotions under the belts, if he takes this side up against a backdrop of the worst owners ever to own a football club, he'll go down in Blackburn Rovers history as one of the greats, if not the greatest. 

Not the greatest Gav. Mark Hughes over him for a start. I'm not going to make a list of them though.  

Different times, different circumstances and all that.

• Like 1