BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd go a step further and say it's been in decline since Mark Hughes left.

Yes , that's very true....Hughes leaving and followed quickly by Brad and Bentley  , were triple blows , that we never recovered from...

With the  Ince debacle , what was it John Williams once said ' you are one bad managerial appointment from relegation '

Sam was always a quick fix , he did well for us and should never been sacked ...But the club wasn't growing anymore...

Edited by Waggy76
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

Yes , that's very true....Hughes leaving and followed quickly by Brad and Bentley  , were triple blows , that we never recovered from...

With the  Ince debacle , what was it John Williams once said ' you are one bad managerial appointment from relegation '

Sam was always a quick fix , he did well for us and should never been sacked ...But the club wasn't growing anymore...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we about 7th in the prem when they sacked Sam.

What growth was expected after that? I was rather enjoying beating the "big clubs" every now and again and remaining in the prem.

• Like 8

On 24/10/2021 at 11:07, matt83 said:

We still don’t have a plan A though. It was 4-3-3 yesterday (seems to be people’s favoured formation) but it was 3-5-2 on Tuesday and could be something totally different vs derby. It’s just a series of random formations with random selections. Mowbray still has no clear idea of how he wants to play just a series of random ideas he has depending on the opposition so as such there’s no plan A. You could argue he has about 10 half baked plans none of which cohesively work consistently

He's also (thankfully) stopped the possession based football he was so adamant was the best way to get promoted but that means we basically wasted however many seasons trying to play that way, only to change it this season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

He's also (thankfully) stopped the possession based football he was so adamant was the best way to get promoted but that means we basically wasted however many seasons trying to play that way, only to change it this season.

That really really rankles it was a total waste of time and ruined last season.

But of course we've beaten Reading at home so that's under the rug and he's the messiah again now.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, toogs said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we about 7th in the prem when they sacked Sam.

What growth was expected after that? 

To say I wasn't Allardyce's biggest fan is probably an understatement........but to say the club was in decline after Hughes left is absolute bunkum.

As you say toogs, Allardyce had us 10th/11th in the Prem when those muppets in Pune replaced him with that rat, then the decline started!

Edited by Gav
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

To say I wasn't Allardyce's biggest fan is probably an understatement........but to say the club was in decline after Hughes left is absolute bunkum.

As you say toogs, Allardyce had us 10th/11th in the Prem when those muppets in Pune replaced him with that rat, then the decline started!

I was happy to see the back of Allardyce, as I hate his style of football. Like the rest of us, I didn’t know what was coming with Kean to follow, or the debacle that is the owners, ever since.

If ever anyone needs lessons in how to go from one of the best run football clubs, to one of the worst, in a decade, look no further.

• Like 2

Decline or not, as we saw with Ince, the club being the size it was in the Trust era, we were only ever one bad appointment from disaster.

Ince was nipped in the bud soon enough, alas there was never any intention to do likewise with Ke*n, a complete self-sabotage that made clear that the normal rules of running a football club would not apply with these owners, and well, look at the state of the club now.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, toogs said:

What growth was expected after that? I was rather enjoying beating the "big clubs" every now and again and remaining in the prem.

I am not against Sam but when Hughes was the manager , the club was buoyant ....

The Ince appointment caused a lot of damage to club before Sam was finally given the job....

If only Sam had been appointed instead of Ince...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Waggy76 said:

I am not against Sam but when Hughes was the manager , the club was buoyant ....

The Ince appointment caused a lot of damage to club before Sam was finally given the job....

If only Sam had been appointed instead of Ince...

Yes we had Ince to blame for Keith Andrews.

Before we stupidly appointed Paul Ince we were linked with options including Allardyce, Dick Advocaat and Michael Laudrup. At the time we were in a position of strength having once again finished in the top half and having a bumper compensation package from Hughes' departure to City. 

The world was our oyster as a well run, regular top half PL club. Yet for some ridiculous reason we headhunted a bloke who had managed Macclesfield and MK Dons in the 4th division. Ridiculous when you think about it. 

It would be the equivalent today of Wolves or Leicester going out and appointing Mike Duff from Cheltenham or Derek Adams from Morecambe in the summer. 

Williams did a good job but that appointment has to go down as one of the most ridiculous in history.

Thankfully the penny dropped quickly and he rectified it by getting in the ideal manager in Allardyce.

• Like 7

I once had a meeting with Williams in his office (a long story) not long after the Ince debacle, nice coffee and biscuits from memory, I imagine it’d be some Smart Price rich teas with Waggott these days.

He pretty much admitted that Jack loved Ince as a player and he made an emotional appointment on the back of it, something you should never do - take note Ed Woodward.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I once had a meeting with Williams in his office (a long story) not long after the Ince debacle, nice coffee and biscuits from memory, I imagine it’d be some Smart Price rich teas with Waggott these days.

He pretty much admitted that Jack loved Ince as a player and he made an emotional appointment on the back of it, something you should never do - take note Ed Woodward.

I seem to recall that there was a lot of negative publicity on the lack of black managers at the time and there was a lot of media pressure directed towards us as a club. I always felt that we were pushed into a corner on that appointment.

46 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I seem to recall that there was a lot of negative publicity on the lack of black managers at the time and there was a lot of media pressure directed towards us as a club. I always felt that we were pushed into a corner on that appointment.

We didn't appoint him because he's black (nor should we appoint anyone for this reason alone) We appointed him it seemed to me at least, because he had a lot of similarities to our previous and really successful manager. Unfortunately we all know what happened next 

3 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Thinking ahead to the position the club will find themselves in at season end:

We'll likely once again end up somewhere in the bottom half.

Mowbray maybe gone, or maybe not. Who knows?

It's possible that we'll have lost some, if not all, of Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan for next to nothing.

It's possible that Brereton and Kaminski will be entering their final year, with a similar risk of losing them for nothing.

If a new guy does come in to take over, he'll likely be in a position where the squad once again needs significant investment and a massive overhaul.

Considering the fact that Mowbray will have been here for 5 years, but to be basically back where we started with him, is nothing short of pathetic. What a terrible legacy that would be.

Although to be fair, if the owners allowed a competitive reinvestment of the transfer fee and huge wage savings of the summer, at least some of them could be signed longer term and be considered assets.

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Although to be fair, if the owners allowed a competitive reinvestment of the transfer fee and huge wage savings of the summer, at least some of them could be signed longer term and be considered assets.

Offers have been made according to the club.

With all due respect you have no idea how much these players are wanting.You have no idea if its purely down to money why they havent signed on.

Nyambe might be tied down now if Mowbray hadnt given new deals to Bennett and Smallwood or if he didnt leave him out whenever there is another option available

Similar with Rothwell,only this season starting every week.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Will you get it through your head, the contract situation is nothing whatsoever to do with the owners!

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

According to Mowbray.

Of course he always speaks the truth.

Is he going to say Rothwell and Nyambe wont sign new deals ,because i dont rate them as highly as they rate themselves.He leaves Nyambe out whenever he can so i do not believe it is just down to money with Nyambe.

Its like when you say if we cant bring players in because of ffp they why aint Mowbray and Waggott referring to it through media and using it as an excuse.

How could they use it as an excuse?It would be on their watch and their fault thst we would be close to breaking the ffp rules.

Edited by islander200

11 minutes ago, islander200 said:

According to Mowbray.

Of course he always speaks the truth.

Is he going to say Rothwell and Nyambe wont sign new deals ,because i dont rate them as highly as they rate themselves.He leaves Nyambe out whenever he can so i do not believe it is just down to money with Nyambe.

Its like when you say if we cant bring players in because of ffp they why aint Mowbray and Waggott referring to it through media and using it as an excuse.

How could they use it as an excuse?It would be on their watch and their fault thst we would be close to breaking the ffp rules.

I have no interest in another long winded and time consuming debate about this, but the assertion that Mowbray leaves Nyambe out whenever possible is as fictional as it is 2/3 seasons in the past, and much of the rest of your post is massively speculative, this supporter generated FFP obsession aimed specifically at Mowbray when the budgets come from well above the managers head, culminating in a desperate slur that the manager is simply lying.