BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This is a big club, with a big budget and big aspirations.

Why are some people so keen on looking at small clubs and their managers? Why not just go for someone who has managed a similar club and done well recently?

Rubbish, with respect.

When was the last time we had big aspirations?

When did we last have a big budget?

Those days are gone JH sadly, we are a mid table Championship club, with a mid table budget and deserve to be exactly where we are, mid table.

Venkys Out 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Rubbish, with respect.

When was the last time we had big aspirations?

When did we last have a big budget?

Those days are gone JH sadly, we are a mid table Championship club, with a mid table budget and deserve to be exactly where we are, mid table.

Venkys Out 

We are a big club in the football league. Aside from the PL clubs and maybe a third of Championship clubs we are big - in every measure - despite the efforts of some within the club to change that. The job here would be coveted by many, especially with the freedom Venkys allow in their disinterest.

The budget is huge compared to many. We aren't some skint outfit cobbling together a squad on buttons, but even if we were there are good managers who would have confidence in working to it. Wilder did it at Sheffield on a relative shoestring. We're losing £20 million a year for a reason and much of that is subsidising an expensive squad of players and not selling anyone.

A mid table Championship budget is still attractive. I don't see why that should be entrusted to a 3rd or 4th division manager. Why don't we entrust it to someone who has operated in the top 2 divisions and done well?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So you would be happy with Hasslebaink because he kept Burton up? I would prefer someone with experience of recently getting into the championship play offs 

Just think he should be one we should look at and possibly interview along with a number of different options out there like Wilder(Knill), Hughes(Bowen and Bellamy), Rosler(Kelly), Ainsworth and Rowett, 

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

A mid table Championship budget is still attractive. I don't see why that should be entrusted to a 3rd or 4th division manager. Why don't we entrust it to someone who has operated in the top 2 divisions and done well?

Is mid table Championship budget going to attract a Wilder or Hughes type? 

Who are you thinking we could attract? 

What is wrong with appointing Ainsworth for example who has 2 promotions on his CV and has learnt this season at Wycombe on one of the smaller budget in the league as seen in recent seasons. 

• Backroom
4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just think he should be one we should look at and possibly interview along with a number of different options out there like Wilder(Knill), Hughes(Bowen and Bellamy), Rosler(Kelly), Ainsworth and Rowett, 

What is wrong with appointing Ainsworth for example who has 2 promotions on his CV and has learnt this season at Wycombe on one of the smaller budget in the league as seen in recent seasons. 

In fairness I do think it would attract Hughes, partially because of his time out the game (2 years?) and his unfinished business with us (a quote from the horses mouth on a surprise zoom call only a few months ago).

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wilder and Hughes need to get back to work to repair their reputations. If they think PL jobs are coming they are mistaken. 

How much was Wilder on at Sheff Utd? How much does someone used to managing in the lower leagues expect to be paid?

I've no idea but what I do know is that someone in the Championship will employ him, soon, and I see no reason why that can't be us.

Ainsworth has been a manager for 9 years, and has spent all of that, bar this season, in the lower divisions. If he wasn't from Blackburn he would barely have had a mention based on his CV alone. If 2 promotions in lower leagues are the requirement for this job I'll come back with 10 other names and ask why you wouldn't appoint them instead.

• Like 2

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Colour me intrigued??😉

Pal of a pal was Zoom calling him about property. I was invited on the call just because I like Hughes, and had a good chat with him. Jokingly asked him when he's coming back and he said (paraphrasing): I loved my time with Rovers (never 'Blackburn') and leaving the way I did always felt like unfinished business.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Wilder and Hughes need to get back to work to repair their reputations. If they think PL jobs are coming they are mistaken. 

How much was Wilder on at Sheff Utd? How much does someone used to managing in the lower leagues expect to be paid?

I've no idea but what I do know is that someone in the Championship will employ him, soon, and I see no reason why that can't be us.

Ainsworth has been a manager for 9 years, and has spent all of that, bar this season, in the lower divisions. If he wasn't from Blackburn he would barely have had a mention based on his CV alone. If 2 promotions in lower leagues are the requirement for this job I'll come back with 10 other names and ask why you wouldn't appoint them instead.

Following yesterday's result I fear we have now been sentenced to at least another year of Mowbray.

That aside, I would be happy with Hughes, Wilder or Ainsworth, (amongst others).

Regarding suitability / potential to succeed, how much club managerial experience did Hughes have prior to getting the gig with us in the Premier League, and he did okay.

Similarly, Wilder had no managerial experience in the top two divisions prior to being appointed by Sheffield United. 

The type of managers who have some Championship success on their CV, and who are available, and likely to come are largely limited to the Mowbrays, Coyles and Lamberts of the World, ie their success was a long time ago.

In that respect, Wilder is the exception.

I think a Championship club, (possibly PNE), will give Ainsworth his well deserved chance, and I believe he will take it.

1 minute ago, martonrover said:

Following yesterday's result I fear we have now been sentenced to at least another year of Mowbray.

That aside, I would be happy with Hughes, Wilder or Ainsworth, (amongst others).

Regarding suitability / potential to succeed, how much club managerial experience did Hughes have prior to getting the gig with us in the Premier League, and he did okay.

Similarly, Wilder had no managerial experience in the top two divisions prior to being appointed by Sheffield United. 

The type of managers who have some Championship success on their CV, and who are available, and likely to come are largely limited to the Mowbrays, Coyles and Lamberts of the World, ie their success was a long time ago.

In that respect, Wilder is the exception.

I think a Championship club, (possibly PNE), will give Ainsworth his well deserved chance, and I believe he will take it.

I too am resigned to another summer and season of Mowbray. I expected that regardless of yesterday's result, but the victory over Huddersfield will reset the clock in the minds of many and you can already see it with 'back to back' home wins and 2 wins in 3 that they will be arguing that a corner has been turned.

Of course those of us experienced in watching this manager will have expected these wins against dire opposition in dead rubber games when the pressure and expectation is minimal.

We will probably get another 3-4 points from the final two games and then it is onto next season.

Without significant changes I think relegation is quite probable next season, especially if we lose what quality we have and don't have money to sign decent new players. 

Shame because relegation would cost us an immediate £7 million, that's before ticket sales, other income and the loss of Championship status/damage to the club.

On that basis alone you'd expect relegation to be a 'no no' and after 2 wins in 17 the manager to be on thin ice. 

Also on that basis you'd expect someone somewhere to calculate that it is worth spending a bit more to get a proven quality manager who would excite the fans, give you a chance of promotion or at least ensure survival rather than cut corners and costs by going for someone cheap who might well cost you your league status.

Logic isn't to be found around this club though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I too am resigned to another summer and season of Mowbray. I expected that regardless of yesterday's result, but the victory over Huddersfield will reset the clock in the minds of many and you can already see it with 'back to back' home wins and 2 wins in 3 that they will be arguing that a corner has been turned.

Of course those of us experienced in watching this manager will have expected these wins against dire opposition in dead rubber games when the pressure and expectation is minimal.

We will probably get another 3-4 points from the final two games and then it is onto next season.

Without significant changes I think relegation is quite probable next season, especially if we lose what quality we have and don't have money to sign decent new players. 

Shame because relegation would cost us an immediate £7 million, that's before ticket sales, other income and the loss of Championship status/damage to the club.

On that basis alone you'd expect relegation to be a 'no no' and after 2 wins in 17 the manager to be on thin ice. 

Also on that basis you'd expect someone somewhere to calculate that it is worth spending a bit more to get a proven quality manager who would excite the fans, give you a chance of promotion or at least ensure survival rather than cut corners and costs by going for someone cheap who might well cost you your league status.

Largely agree, but as the likes of Barnsley have shown, a decent leftfield appointment can also be successful.

I put Ainsworth in that bracket.

No doubt we will plod on with Mowbray until it's too late to salvage next season, and then replace him with another poor choice.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Side note, I also mentioned his amazing turn in midfield in the Worthy Cup final. He said something like: 'I love that fans appreciate me in that game. At that age, it's one of my favourite medals but I thought Graeme was trying to fucking kill me!'

His was a very significant contribution to Rovers winning that final.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Have you heard or seen any suggest yesterday was a corner turning? I honestly can't believe that anyone could seriously still think Mowbray is the man who could get us into the play offs next season. It's only ending one way 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Maybe you could argue that he's done his apprentiship at Wycombe and is now ready to step up. Didn't Martin O'Neill do exactly the same thing?

I understand that birthpalce and personal loyalties don't normally increase someone's suitability for a manager's job but Rovers' fans are desperate for some clarity and honesty within the club - not the sort that Mowbray preaches buth the sort that is heartfelt and genuine. Ainsworth would bring that and I can't think of any other candidate that would.

My fear is that Mowbray will not be replaced and Ainsworth will move elsewhere and be a success.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

My fear is that Mowbray will not be replaced and Ainsworth will move elsewhere and be a success.

My worry exactly. I think he will arrive at the club a mile from me and will no doubt be a success, which will make me feel heartily sick. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

I've no idea on Wilder's wages at Sheffield United. 

Wilder was in the lower leagues before he got a chance at his hometown club and the team he supported. Look where he took them. Similar to what Ainsworth could do here. He would united the fans and he could get the owners to understand the club they bought from a Blackburn fan and someone from the town. He should be option. But so should Hughes(who would be my 1st choice), Wilder, Rowett, Rosler plus a few other names.  

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

In fairness I do think it would attract Hughes, partially because of his time out the game (2 years?) and his unfinished business with us (a quote from the horses mouth on a surprise zoom call only a few months ago).

Thanks Mike for mentioning that. Hughes leaving for Manchester City was one of the saddest days of supporting the club

I would loved Hughes back here as manager with Bowen and Bellamy on his staff. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Depending on who we sign and how we use the Armstrong's money if we sell him

34 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

My worry exactly. I think he will arrive at the club a mile from me and will no doubt be a success, which will make me feel heartily sick. 

I'm hoping he can't take the Preston job because of his Rovers background and he would personally feel traitorous if he did.

If he came to Rovers I'm sure he would leave the Chairboys with best wishes and no hard feelings, which again would do no harm to his reputation.

7 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I'm hoping he can't take the Preston job because of his Rovers background and he would personally feel traitorous if he did.

If he came to Rovers I'm sure he would leave the Chairboys with best wishes and no hard feelings, which again would do no harm to his reputation.

He played for Preston though didn’t he. I have a feeling he will be there next season.

Can't see Ainsworth taking the Preston North End head coach job. Don't forget they don't want manager who is in charge of signings but a head coach who will have a say on transfers but final decision who they sign with be the head of recruitment and Peter Ridsdale from what I have read. 

Can't see Ainsworth working under that situation

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can't see Ainsworth taking the Preston North End head coach job. Don't forget they don't want manager who is in charge of signings but a head coach who will have a say on transfers but final decision who they sign with be the head of recruitment and Peter Ridsdale from what I have read. 

Can't see Ainsworth working under that situation

Relative of mine with PNE connections lumped on Ainsworth as soon as market for next PNE manager opened and stands to win close to £1k should it happen.  

Same relative who told me back in late December that Neil would be next Rovers' manager (as I posted back then) and he still thinks it will happen!

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Relative of mine with PNE connections lumped on Ainsworth as soon as market for next PNE manager opened and stands to win close to £1k should it happen.  

Same relative who told me back in late December that Neil would be next Rovers' manager (as I posted back then) and he still thinks it will happen!

If Mowbray leaves asap , I think Neil will be our next manager ...

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I don't see Ainsworth going to PNE myself. 

On Neil replacing Mowbray, Should be interview along with people like Wilder, Hughes, Rowett, Ainsworth and few other names if we have vacancy. 

Still hoping that your info along with @Paul Mani and @oldjamfan1is correct and Mowbray is gone in the summer