BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

Chaps, I know it’s pre-season but we’re not going to do any work on shape, formation, attacking or defending until we know who we’re signing. Once deadline day is over, we’ll start thinking about that. 

Or perhaps if we’re not constantly making up new reasons to suggest bad management, there’s a couple of systems we play (aka in the Bolton game) and we’re looking to bring players to suit either?

23 minutes ago, J*B said:

Chaps, I know it’s pre-season but we’re not going to do any work on shape, formation, attacking or defending until we know who we’re signing. Once deadline day is over, we’ll start thinking about that. 

Why is anyone surprised? The guy makes it up as he goes along in every aspect.  Not one word that comes out of his mouth can be trusted, not one.  Even Coyle talked more sense and prepared better and that says it all.  The guys a complete idiot and he's calling the shots from top to toe.  We are in for one very hard and demoralising season and next will be more of the same, as we will just have kids at this rate. I'm actually tempted to email bet365 to see what odds they will give me on league 2 at the end of next season. It has to change soon as even the loons must know we're screwed.

He berates us for being negative to the younger players and then states he's shouting at them as it was ok when he was a kid. Laughable.

Edited by Ulrich
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wages 

Wages in this current climate are nowhere near as high after the last 18 months unless you are PL championship wages are much lower and if he wanted to play first team football then he would have to take a hit 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Well it is to do with Covid. Firstly because our losses are much higher than they would have been without Covid - surely you accept that?

And secondly because FFP rules were relaxed so that costs and lost revenues directly attributable to the pandemic could be claimed as an exemption - so all this talk about having no fans for 18 months doesn't contribute to calculations.

The wage bill has been slashed over the last few months. Selling Armstrong won't change that unless he isn't replaced either in which case we might as well give up.

Lots of clubs have high wages to turnover. Preston were at 160% in the last figures yet I don't see them offloading half their squad and ending up in dire straits.

I'll be the first to slag Mowbray off but he hasn't spent £20 million in transfer fees. Off the top of my head he's had Brereton £7 million, Gallagher £5 million, Armstrong £2 million and then smaller ones like Kaminski, Davenport and Pickering for a few hundred grand each. So more like £15 million or so net spend. That is good backing and more importantly he hasn't had to sell anyone and has had time in the job to do it as he likes without instability. But since 2019 we've actually spent only a few hundred grand here and there. Lets not make out as though we've been on a spending spree.

I'm not really interested in the reasons for selling Rhodes. The more important point is what we did afterwards and what we can learn from that. The fact is the money disappeared and we got relegated. I don't want that to happen again.

Do you think the free transfers Ayala,Holtby ,Johnson etc cost nothing?

They were on higher wages before coming here signing on fees would have been given 

What about the multiple loan players we got them for nothing aswell I presume?

You conveniently ignore these signings when adding up our transfer spend to sit with your point of thinking that we don't spend money 

6 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

If we get £20m+ for Arms, will TM be heralded by Genius and get a new contract? Eek!

Hopefully not - but you have to give him some credit. If I am totally honest I thought we paid over the odds for Armstrong - whether by luck or good judgement - his transition from winger to an effective central striker has been a transformation (especially as many considered him too small to effectively play that role)

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

Just now, islander200 said:

They were on higher wages before coming here signing on fees would have been given 

You conveniently ignore these signings when adding up our transfer spend to sit with your point of thinking that we don't spend money 

Bloody hell I forgot to add Ayala to my list of wasted wages.

To be fair I forgot he was at the club. He makes Grella look positively robust.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Or perhaps if we’re not constantly making up new reasons to suggest bad management, there’s a couple of systems we play (aka in the Bolton game) and we’re looking to bring players to suit either?

He say's in the article “I think the players we sign will dictate the system that we play and see what the next few weeks bring.” Surely you can see that is ridiculous. You should sign players to fit your system not sign players and then decide what system you are going to play. A club that Mowbray has liked to hold up as an example in recent years is Brentford they are a club who have a system and long term vision in place and sign players to fit that. Sadly despite he words about Brentford Mowbray has always had a scatter gun approach to transfers.

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He say's in the article “I think the players we sign will dictate the system that we play and see what the next few weeks bring.” Surely you can see that is ridiculous. You should sign players to fit your system not sign players and then decide what system you are going to play. A club that Mowbray has liked to hold up as an example in recent years is Brentford they are a club who have a system and long term vision in place and sign players to fit that. Sadly despite he words about Brentford Mowbray has always had a scatter gun approach to transfers.

He's basically saying "the squad I've lovingly assembled for 5 years is shit. The formation we're going to play is dependent on what youngsters PL teams are willing to release on loan once they've finalised their 25 man squads".

This is the man leading our club. It's a disgrace. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I know many prefer to focus on the issues, the likes of Mulgrew / Graham having contracts extended, the 13m on Gallagher and BB, the Ayala contract etc, the reliance on loans…

For me it’s more like; BB is a ready made replacement for AA, (we surely need a CC next) we’ve got rid of many players we all knew couldn’t take us any further - the bells, the Bennett’s and the Evans. We’ve several talents on the fringe of the squad like Garrett and we normally get trusted with top loans like Tosin, Harvey and Harwood Bellis.

So last minute transfers might dictate which system we used, from the two we’ve utilised during pre season?

Again - something that seems normal to me is seen as a scandal here? 

1 minute ago, JBiz said:

I know many prefer to focus on the issues, the likes of Mulgrew / Graham having contracts extended, the 13m on Gallagher and BB, the Ayala contract etc, the reliance on loans…

For me it’s more like; BB is a ready made replacement for AA, (we surely need a CC next) we’ve got rid of many players we all knew couldn’t take us any further - the bells, the Bennett’s and the Evans. We’ve several talents on the fringe of the squad like Garrett and we normally get trusted with top loans like Tosin, Harvey and Harwood Bellis.

So last minute transfers might dictate which system we used, from the two we’ve utilised during pre season?

But the season starts in two days...What about preparation? Our opponents will have been preparing so.....

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

But the season starts in two days...What about preparation? Our opponents will have been preparing so.....

It’s part of the reason I always felt the transfer windows should shut before the season starts Len!

Just now, JBiz said:

It’s part of the reason I always felt the transfer windows should shut before the season starts Len!

Shouldn't be a window at all. I'm sure if a player went to court like Bosman did then there'd be a new law (in the EU at least).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Ings is 28. Armstrong 24. Hardly a big gap in age. Plus ings is a proven scorer

Ings is 29. Those five years are monumental. How much will Ings be worth aged 32? 7-10 million? Armstrong in three years will be 27 and at his peak, resale will be considerably higher if he performs.

second part I agree with, but again Ings has had two career threatening injuries, makes him a huge risk.

7 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Craig Conway. David Dunn/Damien Duff. 

Anymore for any more? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I didn't say we haven't spent money. Mowbray has had good backing and certainly better than any of his 5 predecessors Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Lambert or Coyle.

More important than any cash or wages he has had is the time, freedom and lack of forced sales. Most managers at this level get a couple of transfer windows or so to do their work, or have to sell before they can buy, or have to contend with interfering chairmen or directors of football. He's had none of that and this is his 9th transfer window. Absolutely outrageous that we have this squad after that.

I disagree that providing wages for free agents or loans constitutes spending. This is where Venkys' operation of the club and my view on things split apart. Of course there are costs involved in signing free agents or adding loans to the payroll. But this is not the same as coughing up transfer fees to recruit good players.

Every other club in the league also sign free agents and loans. It doesn't make us special or big spenders because we do the same. It is a basic part of football recruitment that every club takes part in. Admittedly though the manager has done poorly on this and we have been overly reliant on loans which now leaves the squad a mess.

And I think there is a gross exaggeration as to how much loans such as Elliott, THB and Branthwaite cost the club. I reckon people would be surprised by how cheap they were. We've already had rumours that the Trybull deal was massively subsidised by Norwich and it is fair to assume the teenagers will have been heavily sponsored by their parent clubs to get them here and give them game time.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19492829.mowbray-says-signings-will-dictate-blackburn-rovers-system/

"Signings to dictate system"

Should it not be the other way around? Should it not always have been the other way around? 

Let’s see who we can get in - then see what, if anything we can do with them doesn’t sound like a plan with any hope at all behind it to me either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I didn't say we haven't spent money. Mowbray has had good backing and certainly better than any of his 5 predecessors Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Lambert or Coyle.

More important than any cash or wages he has had is the time, freedom and lack of forced sales. Most managers at this level get a couple of transfer windows or so to do their work, or have to sell before they can buy, or have to contend with interfering chairmen or directors of football. He's had none of that and this is his 9th transfer window. Absolutely outrageous that we have this squad after that.

I disagree that providing wages for free agents or loans constitutes spending. This is where Venkys' operation of the club and my view on things split apart. Of course there are costs involved in signing free agents or adding loans to the payroll. But this is not the same as coughing up transfer fees to recruit good players.

Every other club in the league also sign free agents and loans. It doesn't make us special or big spenders because we do the same. It is a basic part of football recruitment that every club takes part in. Admittedly though the manager has done poorly on this and we have been overly reliant on loans which now leaves the squad a mess.

And I think there is a gross exaggeration as to how much loans such as Elliott, THB and Branthwaite cost the club. I reckon people would be surprised by how cheap they were. We've already had rumours that the Trybull deal was massively subsidised by Norwich and it is fair to assume the teenagers will have been heavily sponsored by their parent clubs to get them here and give them game time.

Even if all that isn't true you can't say that we don't spend money when we clearly do.

The owners have been putting in the max they are allowed to.According to you they brought Gallagher and Brererton in as they knew in a couple of years Armstrong's contract would be down to 1 year and we can sell below market value.

One question Iv asked you ,you haven't answered is what do we do next summer if Armstrong stays this year?As much as you want to keep denying it we are on the threshold of breaking ffp rules and without a big sale could very well end up in an embargo next summer.So what's the plan for next summer if we stupidily let Armstrong leave for nothing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

If we get £20m+ for Arma, will TM be heralded by Venkys and get a new contract? Eek!

Hopefully not but getting that money for a 3 million signing and wiping out the hole in the books in one swoop.  The one you've helped create but basically you've paid for it and covered your own arse.

Strong bargaining chips when dealing with the clueless.

I think in their eyes it might be akin to Anderson & Kean getting 16 to 19 million for Phil Jones.  Basically getting the purchase money for the club back.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1