BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I quite like the idea of putting Szmodics into the channel where Gallagher was yesterday and introducing Dack in behind those 2 willing runners. 

Not convinced by Hedges at wing back though plus Carter for Ayala is an obvious downgrade.

When Szmodics signed I remember Posh fans saying he's a decent number 10, but there's no point in playing him if he's put out wide. Not sure if that's fair or not, but his cross for Brereton's second suggests that it might be worth trying.

I'm surprised by how well Hedges has been at right back, albeit I wouldn't advocate playing him there long term in front of Brittain. He is obviously intelligent in the positions that he takes up, so I wouldn't be against playing him there either when Brittain isn't fit or for the odd game at home when we have most of the ball. 

• Like 1

Kaminski 

Carter Hyam Wharton

Brittain                                Pickering

Morton             Trav

Hedges        Szmodics           Diaz

Gally

Give big Daniel a rest, I’d like to see Gally get a rare outing down the middle, don’t feel comfortable with Dolan in the false 9 away from home like he was at Cardiff, we’re a better side than Wigan but we can’t let them boss us physically as that’s the only way they’ll beat us. COYB

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Come on you know the script, great v bottom of the league at home.  Memories are short....apart from his first game and yesterday he's done jack shit

You've not looked at the table much recently then... they're now 17th, but if they'd won they'd have leapfrogged us, who are now 3 points off top.

Give the bloke a chance, and some credit. He came in 7 games ago, scored on debut, then suffered a concussion on his 2nd appearance, then yesterday got a goal & a quality assist.

It's like saying, "Apart from scoring 7 goals in 13 apps, BBDs done jack shit."

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Butty said:

Kaminski 

Carter Hyam Wharton

Morton             Trav

Gally

Give big Daniel a rest, I’d like to see Gally get a rare outing down the middle, don’t feel comfortable with Dolan in the false 9 away from home like he was at Cardiff, we’re a better side than Wigan but we can’t let them boss us physically as that’s the only way they’ll beat us. COYB

Don't think we can play 12 players?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Don't think we can play 12 players?

Sshh.

My Rugby League team were playing at Oldham a while back. The teams came out at halftime and they’d been playing for about  five minutes when somebody on our bench noticed that Oldham had an extra player. They’d come out with 14 instead of 13 ! Cue much confusion until they decided who was going off. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

33 minutes ago, Butty said:

Kaminski 

Carter Hyam Wharton

Morton             Trav

Gally

Nice try, but I don't think the ref would allow us to play with twelve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

You've not looked at the table much recently then... they're now 17th, but if they'd won they'd have leapfrogged us, who are now 3 points off top.

Give the bloke a chance, and some credit. He came in 7 games ago, scored on debut, then suffered a concussion on his 2nd appearance, then yesterday got a goal & a quality assist.

It's like saying, "Apart from scoring 7 goals in 13 apps, BBDs done jack shit."

Not at all, the general consensus on here before yesterday was that he's a waste of £2m...same old shyte, someone has half a decent game and they next world beater according to some on here.  Overall I've been underwhelmed by his contribution considering the fee and I prefer Dack.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Anyone know if it’s pay on the day

Last I heard they where sending tickets back for refunds, so I doubt it. Although that’s just something I saw on Facebook. 

Can we finally break the hoodoo at Wigan? We love finding a way to lose/drop points here, and it's spanned more managers than I can be bothered to count.

It's a very winnable game, they've been pretty poor at home. Bucking this recent WLWL trend is imperative, and is very possible if we get the balance of passing/purpose right again. Gutted I can't make it, sadly midweek is too tricky from Cardiff. 

13 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

When Szmodics signed I remember Posh fans saying he's a decent number 10, but there's no point in playing him if he's put out wide. Not sure if that's fair or not, but his cross for Brereton's second suggests that it might be worth trying.

I'm surprised by how well Hedges has been at right back, albeit I wouldn't advocate playing him there long term in front of Brittain. He is obviously intelligent in the positions that he takes up, so I wouldn't be against playing him there either when Brittain isn't fit or for the odd game at home when we have most of the ball. 

A fantastic cross from Szmodics, pinpointed to perfection for BBDs 2nd and a sublime finish for the 3rd. With crosses like that it's a pity he can't play on the wing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

A fantastic cross from Szmodics, pinpointed to perfection for BBDs 2nd and a sublime finish for the 3rd. With crosses like that it's a pity he can't play on the wing.

Something doesn't add up, because when he signed JDT said that he loved his flexibility if I recall. To be fair I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean that he sees him as a wide player, but definitely not on the same page as the Peterborough fans. 

I agree though that the cross was inch perfect, and for our third Szmodics picked the ball up in a wide position before moving inside to get a shot away. He's obviously never going to be a chalk-on-his boots type winger, but on Saturday's showing he seems to have the attributes to play wide. 

Yeah we’ll beat these lot. I may have to leave early due to train timings but I pretty sure we’ll be wrapped up by the hour mark. I’ve just watched the highlights from Saturday they were so poor Saturday and their goalie is a lot worse than ours (not even the same league) ball straight into  the net in the middle 

• Like 1

On 09/10/2022 at 09:35, JoeH said:

Having seen Wigan play twice at the DW this season, I don't actually think a 3/5 is necessary. They're yet to pick up a win against a team operating 4ATB in 2022/23. I think Hyam and Wharton as a two, defending the box well would make the most sense here, to allow us to retain possession better in their half of the pitch with an extra man in midfield.

They go long, they go direct and they look to win the game on set pieces. Their midfield is severely lacking in dynamism, movement or progressive play. They are Corry Evans and Richie Smallwood types. Pack the midfield with players and play around/through them.

To win the game we'll have to keep the ball on the floor. Their side lacks speed and mobility in most areas, so the likes of Dolan being nippy would probably suit this one from the off. I think Hedges in a 10 role would make a lot of sense, in good form and likes to operate centrally. Matching their 4-2-3-1 and trusting our quality over theirs is the way I'd go.

If we went like this, it wouldn't be a great game for Brittain and Pickering, they'd be limited, but some systems suit certain players and others don't.

I think Ben can have a good time against Ryan Nyambe. Yes RN defends well 1v1, but as we all know, he's often poorly positioned when the ball is over on the other side of the pitch. Ben's signature move is bringing it out of the sky from the diagonal switch and if Latics start Ryan, I can us creating opportunities from that move.

Kaminski

Brittain
Hyam
Wharton
Pickering

Travis
Morton

Dolan
Hedges
Brereton Díaz

Gallagher

Thanks for this comprehensive and thought out post.

However - we played 4231 at Cardiff and were absolutely dreadful. Surely sticking with a back three, who would be good at heading out anyway if Wigan are mainly direct, and then having the option to change to a 4231 if needed would be the way to go?

I just fear if we go 4231 we will have the same challenges - not able to get the ball out of defence, and out competed in midfield.

13 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not at all, the general consensus on here before yesterday was that he's a waste of £2m...same old shyte, someone has half a decent game and they next world beater according to some on here.  Overall I've been underwhelmed by his contribution considering the fee and I prefer Dack.

I'm not sure that was the general consensus actually, though it was certainly the opinion of some. 

Most people (I would argue those less prone to exaggeration or hyperbole) were of the view that he deserved more time & opportunities to show us what he is capable of doing.

Thankfully JDT doesn't seem to be someone who gives up on a player after a couple of appearances. Tim Sherwood wouldn't have had a chance with some of you!!