BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Surely Ayala has to be rested for this and maybe with Carter getting a full match yesterday for the under 21's that is Tomasson's intention. I personally like the three at the back although Wigan have been playing a four at the back and flooding midfield whilst playing a lone striker.

Do we want three at the back essentially marking a lone striker ? We’d be losing out somewhere else on the pitch, probably midfield.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Literally any result possible. 

The pattern says lose. Unfortunately from the loss, win, lose, win form going to lose to Wigan, Sunderland and bonleh. But will beat West Ham in the cup, nob end and beat Sunderland on Boxing Day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Do we want three at the back essentially marking a lone striker ? We’d be losing out somewhere else on the pitch, probably midfield.

They played 2 up front in Wyke and Magennis up front with Keane as number 10 in 3-4-1-2 formation 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Having seen Wigan play twice at the DW this season, I don't actually think a 3/5 is necessary. They're yet to pick up a win against a team operating 4ATB in 2022/23. I think Hyam and Wharton as a two, defending the box well would make the most sense here, to allow us to retain possession better in their half of the pitch with an extra man in midfield.

They go long, they go direct and they look to win the game on set pieces. Their midfield is severely lacking in dynamism, movement or progressive play. They are Corry Evans and Richie Smallwood types. Pack the midfield with players and play around/through them.

To win the game we'll have to keep the ball on the floor. Their side lacks speed and mobility in most areas, so the likes of Dolan being nippy would probably suit this one from the off. I think Hedges in a 10 role would make a lot of sense, in good form and likes to operate centrally. Matching their 4-2-3-1 and trusting our quality over theirs is the way I'd go.

If we went like this, it wouldn't be a great game for Brittain and Pickering, they'd be limited, but some systems suit certain players and others don't.

I think Ben can have a good time against Ryan Nyambe. Yes RN defends well 1v1, but as we all know, he's often poorly positioned when the ball is over on the other side of the pitch. Ben's signature move is bringing it out of the sky from the diagonal switch and if Latics start Ryan, I can us creating opportunities from that move.

Kaminski

Brittain
Hyam
Wharton
Pickering

Travis
Morton

Dolan
Hedges
Brereton Díaz

Gallagher

Strong likelihood that Callum Lang, who's Wigan's only young bright spark, will miss this game also. They play him as a right sided midfielder, which I think is mad because he's so clearly a 10. But I think he and Nyambe could have some fun against Pickering. Hopefully he doesn't play

Joe, Yesterday they played 3-4-1-2 formation so I think its likely we would go 3-4-3 formation. Lang and Nyambe didn't play yesterday. I prefer 4-2-3-1 formation with a main striker up front, but given how we played yesterday I would only make 2 changes which would be Carter in for Ayala and Brittain for Gallagher with Hedges moving to the right side of the front line. So my team would be 

Kaminski

Carter Hyam S.Wharton

Brittain Morton Travis Pickering

Hedges Szmodics BBD

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Agree that it gives the potential for us to be swamped in midfield. Only hesitation is when playing 4 at the back we seem more vulnerable to the press as our centre backs aren't good enough on the ball and have one less option. 

I'd be tempted to stick with 5 at the back. One option is Hedgea at Rwb instead of Brittain. As he gives flexibility of a tactical switch to a back 4 if we're really struggling after 20 minutes.

• J*B changed the title to v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/09/2022

We’ll beat this lot on Tuesday, they’re rubbish, however I expect Nyambe will have the game of his life. I’d go:

Kaminski

Hyam Ayala Wharton 

Brittain Travis Morton Pickering 

Hedges Szmodics Brereton 

With a plan to get Dack (Szmodics), Carter (Ayala), Wharton (Morton), Dolan (Hedges) and Hirst (Brereton) on the pitch as our five subs. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Great result yesterday, Morton fully deserved man of the match and another good performance from Ryan Hedges. Good to see BBD back among the goals and what a cool finish from Szmodics. Just one question ? why can't we take our home form away with us.

You'd imagine that we would be better set up to play away from home, on the break like the 2nd half yesterday. 

• J*B changed the title to v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

If we want to achieve anything meaningful this season, we have to be beating the Wigans.

Keep it tight at the back, no pissing around in the wrong areas and quick decisive attacking, like we saw in the second half against Rotherham, and we should be heading back with 3 points.

• Like 4

After banging on about how average Szmodics looks and how he was about sixth or seventh choice on the forward roles, his excellent showing on Saturday has led me a complete 180 and can see how he could be a devastating partner for BBD.

For this one Id go 352 - quel surprise - keep Hedges at RWB as he had a very good game on Saturday. As others have said let's give Ayala a rest. Team for me :

.                    Kaminski

Carter.     Hyam.    Wharton

Hedges.     Travis.   Morton.    Pickering

.                            Dack

.          Szmodics.         BBD

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

After banging on about how average Szmodics looks and how he was about sixth or seventh choice on the forward roles, his excellent showing on Saturday has led me a complete 180

Come on you know the script, great v bottom of the league at home.  Memories are short....apart from his first game and yesterday he's done jack shit