BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

1 minute ago, Tom said:

It’s a round of fixtures, we’ll cope if they are postponed, whether you liked, loved, respected, hated or were indifferent to the Queen and the royal family it’s a moment of huge significance and real history of the country and there was always going to be a period of official mourning

Okay so how does cancelling Saturdays fixtures two days afterwards affect that? I don't get the link i really don't.

Pubs and clubs won't shut, shops will stay open but the football must stop? Why? Feels like its assumed that it should just to mark how significant the event is.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

It’s a round of fixtures, we’ll cope if they are postponed, whether you liked, loved, respected, hated or were indifferent to the Queen and the royal family it’s a moment of huge significance and real history of the country and there was always going to be a period of official mourning

I totally agree. 

For some folks, kicking a bag of fresh air around some grass for 90 minutes is more important. Sad really considering what happened today. 

• Like 1

There’s not really a recent precedent for something like this so the authorities will not want to go against the establishment who will decide if not holding sporting events in this country over the next few days is appropriate. 

Unfortunately whether we like it or not will be irrelevant. 

Hopefully the Watford game will be on

If we are being put into an enforced period of national mourning, why is it only social and sporting events that are stopped? We’ll all still be expected to go and work for 8 hours tomorrow. Most people’s idea of mourning will be writing a Facebook post about how sad it is and watching repetitive telly. @WacoRovermade a really excellent point earlier about how the games would actually provide people an opportunity to gather and show their respects. 

• Like 9

I don't see the point in calling the games off either to be honest. Fans would gather and pay respects at stadiums nationwide like West Ham and I'm assuming others did last night. Football fans aren't going to go lighting candles and signing books of condolences instead if their games off.

Doesn't really affect us but some will have hotels and travel paid for as well, in times of hardship would Liz really wanted people to lose money?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

There’s not really a recent precedent for something like this so the authorities will not want to go against the establishment who will decide if not holding sporting events in this country over the next few days is appropriate. 

Unfortunately whether we like it or not will be irrelevant. 

Hopefully the Watford game will be on

The monarch dying isn't unprecedented.  And she was 96 years old. Hardly a surprise.

The football authorities should have had contingency plans in place already.

All this frowning and chin rubbing by the PL and EFL just shows them up for the overpaid incompetents they are.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aqualung said:

I totally agree. 

For some folks, kicking a bag of fresh air around some grass for 90 minutes is more important. Sad really considering what happened today. 

Just don't think the two are interlinked personally. Nobody is saying that the death of the monarch is less important than a football game its just that one happening on a Thursday should have any baring on some of the mass entertainment on a Saturday. There might be a need for police redeployment but that's largely limited to London area.

As I said earlier, pubs won't shut, clubs won't shut, shops won't shut, TV won't stop. Why some sport? Theirs criticism of the desire to gets game on yet nobody seems offer a reason as to why or how it shows respect.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Near home and s nice signing on fee. Whatever rocks your boat. 

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/nyambe-blackburn-rovers-wigan-athletic-24967906

Didn't have to move house, but it got him out of his comfort zone.

Yeah, alright Ryan. I believe you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Okay so how does cancelling Saturdays fixtures two days afterwards affect that? I don't get the link i really don't.

Pubs and clubs won't shut, shops will stay open but the football must stop? Why? Feels like its assumed that it should just to mark how significant the event is.

Some things are bigger than football, a mark of respect.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, USABlue said:

With all due respect games on Saturday should go ahead.  To me it is no lack of respect to play them.  A welcome distraction at this time  for most I would think.

The games going ahead would probably show more respect, a minutes silence at every ground and thousands at every ground gathered together.

• Like 1