BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

I'm not sure our poor run of results there over the last decade or so is much of a factor. How many of our current squad have experienced defeat there? 4, 5 players? Not enough for it to be thought of as a bogey ground for them.

Moving on, it's a game we should win. I'll be disappointed if we don't, but at this stage what would be more important to me would be to see a solid performance where we can look back and say we deserved 3 points from the game, whether we get them or not. It's far too early to be writing the season (or JDT, or any individual player) off if we lose. Having no midweek game for the first time since week one I think, should allow time to get some good training in re patterns of play, set-piece development, transitions etc. & to bed in the JDT way into the squad.

Plus further time for injured players to get fit.

I'll plump for a 2-0 away win.

• Like 1

Makes me laugh when we get ripped off somewhere the reaction on social media is always ‘charge them bastards the same’, like it’s Dave from Standish setting Wigan’s or whoever’s prices.

Let you into a secret, those that actually set the prices get *paid* hundreds of thousands of quid to watch the match, oh whilst they quaff a load of food and drink in corporate hospitality…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

21 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Think JDT has already said that Brittain won't be back until after the international break.

They were hopeful on Wharton though, maybe move Carter out to right back and bring Wharton in at centre half?

Ah, didn't realise that! I'm really not sure how the club thought they were ok for cover at right back. I think you're right...the best option looks to be Carter at right back for now providing Wharton or Ayala are available to partner Hyam.

• Like 1

For anyone yet to order Wigan tickets online.

Rovers aren't doing a delivery service this week because of the postal strike, so tickets need to be collected either at Ewood or at the ground.

After purchasing tickets online just now, then realising I hadn't requested delivery, I called the ticket office to confirm.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1864roverite said:
On 05/09/2022 at 13:58, 1864roverite said:

It’s a choice I’ve made! Go to many games but Wigan charging £30 is taking the proverbial 

No 20 is plenty 

Totally agree  and my stance  - only 10 -15 min walk for me - normally a good day because of this but they can do one for that price  

23 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

We're charging them £30 for the return game, or is that ok?

NO ... as above 

23 hours ago, rigger said:

If someone thinks that they are not getting value for money, then they will not spend the money. It is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Correct  - run of the mill  games are certainly   no vfm in the Championship 

1 hour ago, CAPT KAYOS said:

Totally agree  and my stance  - only 10 -15 min walk for me - normally a good day because of this but they can do one for that price  

Stop being silly and get yourself down there 😉

On 05/09/2022 at 03:26, yellowsubmarine said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, we haven't beaten Wigan in Wigan since... 2007... in the premier league. 😭

Correct! January 1, 2007, Rovers gave them a 3-0 thrashing, courtesy of Heskey og, Matt Derbyshire’s strike at 58’, & Benni McCarthy’s Pk at 76’. 

The good ol’ days under Mark Hughes…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

They have just been promoted from division 1 £30 for a ticket, you could watch Brazil for £30. 

You can probably watch the best team in Germany or Spain for less but that's not the point.

My original gripe was in regards to peoples lips coming out after losing a few.

How many managed to trek to Blackpool midweek live on SKY for ONE POUND less ?

Surely we can be expecting 3k plus at Wigan.

16 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Bit condescending cos I'm 330 miles away but surely for a Saturday match and you live "within striking distance" you'd go?  

What's the cut off point, £23, 25, 27?

Different for everybody, isn't it? And in the current economic climate with costs soaring, with most of our fanbase living in a working class town, I really don't think anybody should be belittling anybody else for making a choice to go or not (I'm not saying that's what you're doing).

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

My rule of thumb is that £25ish and under most fans reckon it’s reasonable enough and buy without giving it much thought.

Once you start hitting £27/£28+ people start thinking twice with £30 being an even bigger psychological barrier.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

My rule of thumb is that £25ish and under most fans reckon it’s reasonable enough and buy without giving it much thought.

Once you start hitting £27/£28+ people start thinking twice with £30 being an even bigger psychological barrier.

Anywhere in the twenties I accept as the current rate. Once it’s over £30 I start to think it’s too expensive.

• Like 1

From an American point of view…

my last year to buy season tickets for University of Texas football (collegial tackleball, ha!) was 2015. I think they were $450 for six games. I live 100 miles from the stadium. 

It got to where it wasn’t fun anymore. Most of my friends who I had been going to games to see, had got too old, no longer cared as much, etc. I’m still a fan, I just don’t go to the stadium. They don’t miss me, they sell 98,000 tickets a game, regardless of whether I’m there, or not. 

So, I entirely understand anybodys reasons for not going… money, time, time away from family, etc. 

No, I wouldn’t go this weekend if you paid me (Texas/Alabama). Texas is going to get a royal butt-kicking, and I don’t really care to witness it in person. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 1

Honestly pretty shocked we haven't moved for any free agents given how we lack cover in certain areas!

Kevin malcuit French RB is a free agent right now isn't he? 

Rogic and lououngo (can't spell his name) are also free for a bit a bite in the middle 

Some surprising free agents knocking about 

12 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Bit condescending cos I'm 330 miles away but surely for a Saturday match and you live "within striking distance" you'd go?  

What's the cut off point, £23, 25, 27?

I'd pay anything up to £35 personally, but everyone's different. Given the prices I've paid at away games so far this season Wigan isn't particularly expensive.

The problem is other factors are kicking in for this one. We played pretty gash Saturday just gone, if we'd won 4-0 I'm willing to bet we'd have shifted up to another 1k tickets. People are willing to pay a bit more if we're likely to win. There's no novelty whatsoever to going to Wigan either, I'm sure everyone's been there numerous times in recent years, in contrast to Burnley for example who I guess were playing them for the first time in a while. On a flip side i know some people who are trying to get a few away games in with one eye on Burnley tickets so that may play a part.

I'm not going but it's purely because my other half is working and I'm not palming my kids off to grandma for the day when I've been most games this season anyway!

• Like 2