BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

I am in the games should not be called off camp. I am also in the Queen dying needs a proper send off camp. 

Shops, pubs, work, airports, schools aren't shut. Why only sport? I understand a shutdown for the funeral, but not for the whole mourning period. 

I would imagine that a minute's silence followed by a rendition of the national anthem before kick off at every game would have been a fitting tribute and give plenty of people across the country the chance to show their respect together with others, rather than sat at home watching BBC reruns and pundits lamenting the loss.

If there is no game will the players train? I expect so as it gives JDT and his staff more time to prepare.

Only football tomorrow by the looks of it. All other sports seem to carrying on as normal.

I think games should probably be on, but can see both sides.

50 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If the country is in official mourning, then I expect we'll all be off work until the funeral? No. Because real life continues, but the things that keep us sane, entertained and distracted must stop...

Distracted, yes, entertained, sometimes, but I can't give Rovers any credit for keeping me sane. Quite the opposite.

• Like 4

I'm not particularly a royalist, although I do respect the Queen and never like to see anyone pass away, but I think it's the correct decision to postpone the football this weekend as a mark of respect for those who are grieving and feel a deep sense of loss, of which there are many. Not to mention the extra pressure on police resources. I think for many the loss of the queen has evoked emotions of loved ones they have lost in the past too. 

I love football as much as anyone but I think we can cope without football for a weekend or two!

Plus, on a selfish note I don't want us to play until we have some key players back from injury 😆

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead

Just to clear things up- (as an example) if you call someone’s opinion ‘stupid’ that’s akin to calling a poster stupid. That’s an insult and you’ll be having a break if you do that. 

We’ve seen more baiting that we’d like over the last few hours and I’m drawing a line under it now.
I know this is a divisive matter, but civility is what we should always aim for on here….

• Like 4

I often try to kid myself that I could live without football, I hate many aspects about the modern game, the stadiums, the money, foreign ownership and Tv coverage schedules, but when its taken away, even for a weekend, I feel like I have had one of my arms cut off!

For me its the right thing to do, although I do side with the argument than The Queen herself wouldn't want all the fuss and certainly wouldn't want sport stopped on her account, that was the mark of the woman and what a superb woman she was.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 9

One thing that definitely should happen is a cancellation of the totally pointless nations league games that nobody gives a shit about.

I know that other countries aren't in mourning but it would be good for players in our leagues to collectively agree to miss those internationals (just cancel England) and play the rearranged games then rather than further cramming.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Only football tomorrow by the looks of it. All other sports seem to carrying on as normal.

I think games should probably be on, but can see both sides.

It's looking that way now. They were calling all sorts off earlier. I see both sides too but  only football makes it even more of a farce. 

What about amateur football? Kids games?

JDT needs to be planning a long training session working on not conceding stupid goals.

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

The govt/ football governing bodies will have been terrified of the media/public backlash if they'd allowed the games to go ahead.

We forget football isn't an 'Establishment' sport.

Horse of the Year show would have been a different matter... 

Its nothing to do with any Government decision its the footballing authorities and organisations decision

• Like 1

• K-Hod locked this topic
2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Locking this thread until the re arranged fixture is announced. 
If you want to talk about the recently departed monarch- you’ve got ICBINF and WDWY.

Thanks. 

Well intercepted, moderation team. 

• Like 1

• Herbie6590 unpinned this topic
  • J*B unlocked and pinned this topic

We're gonna be dogshit and lose this and be awful aren't we? 🤣

No way he's gonna pick the same team, but I'm not against Brittain getting a run out or maybe Dack or A Wharton. Even Markanday who seems to have been forgotten about.

The only person who 100% should never be dropped, if fit, is S Wharton.

• Like 3

Surely Ayala has to be rested for this and maybe with Carter getting a full match yesterday for the under 21's that is Tomasson's intention. I personally like the three at the back although Wigan have been playing a four at the back and flooding midfield whilst playing a lone striker.

• Like 1

Having seen Wigan play twice at the DW this season, I don't actually think a 3/5 is necessary. They're yet to pick up a win against a team operating 4ATB in 2022/23. I think Hyam and Wharton as a two, defending the box well would make the most sense here, to allow us to retain possession better in their half of the pitch with an extra man in midfield.

They go long, they go direct and they look to win the game on set pieces. Their midfield is severely lacking in dynamism, movement or progressive play. They are Corry Evans and Richie Smallwood types. Pack the midfield with players and play around/through them.

To win the game we'll have to keep the ball on the floor. Their side lacks speed and mobility in most areas, so the likes of Dolan being nippy would probably suit this one from the off. I think Hedges in a 10 role would make a lot of sense, in good form and likes to operate centrally. Matching their 4-2-3-1 and trusting our quality over theirs is the way I'd go.

If we went like this, it wouldn't be a great game for Brittain and Pickering, they'd be limited, but some systems suit certain players and others don't.

I think Ben can have a good time against Ryan Nyambe. Yes RN defends well 1v1, but as we all know, he's often poorly positioned when the ball is over on the other side of the pitch. Ben's signature move is bringing it out of the sky from the diagonal switch and if Latics start Ryan, I can us creating opportunities from that move.

Kaminski

Brittain
Hyam
Wharton
Pickering

Travis
Morton

Dolan
Hedges
Brereton Díaz

Gallagher

Strong likelihood that Callum Lang, who's Wigan's only young bright spark, will miss this game also. They play him as a right sided midfielder, which I think is mad because he's so clearly a 10. But I think he and Nyambe could have some fun against Pickering. Hopefully he doesn't play