BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

2 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I'm not sure that was the general consensus actually, though it was certainly the opinion of some. 

Most people (I would argue those less prone to exaggeration or hyperbole) were of the view that he deserved more time & opportunities to show us what he is capable of doing.

Thankfully JDT doesn't seem to be someone who gives up on a player after a couple of appearances. Tim Sherwood wouldn't have had a chance with some of you!!

The majority on here after Cardiff City as: Buckley crap, szmod terrible ands all the Hirst stuff too! Also some were calling for JDT to be sacked! Wtaf after winning 6 games 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I'm not sure that was the general consensus actually, though it was certainly the opinion of some. 

Most people (I would argue those less prone to exaggeration or hyperbole) were of the view that he deserved more time & opportunities to show us what he is capable of doing.

Thankfully JDT doesn't seem to be someone who gives up on a player after a couple of appearances. Tim Sherwood wouldn't have had a chance with some of you!!

I remember first seeing Sherwood in a Rovers' shirt - I thought wtf, we've signed a real southern poser here!

Although Sherwood grew into his Rovers' career, it was clear early doors there was some real talent in there.

• Like 1

I feel like it is too early to say that we are "well led" but even if that is specifically praising Broughton/Tomasson, ultimately a club is led firstly by its owners so we will never be well led until that changes.

Regarding the expected push next season, we will be massively set back by the loss for free of Brereton before you consider others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I remember first seeing Sherwood in a Rovers' shirt - I thought wtf, we've signed a real southern poser here!

Although Sherwood grew into his Rovers' career, it was clear early doors there was some real talent in there.

You weren't the only one on here to have the first impression of Sherwood, @Mercer; and more or less word for word, too!

Thinking about tomorrow night's game, I wouldn't tinker too much with the team. I think Ayala will probably be rested and I'd like to see Brittain back with Hedges pushed further forward, possibly at the expense of Gallagher. Another 3-0, hopefully. Specially if we have the higher crossbar to aim at in the first half! 😉

• Backroom
1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Anyone know why only us/Wigan and PNE/Bristol are playing this week? An already congested fixture list made more so whilst the dingles and others have a rest.

I was wondering that. It's rescheduled from the weekend after the Queen's death so everyone had a game cancelled.

Only those 4 clubs catching it up this week. Weird.

Suppose we'll get a rest when all the others play their matches.

Not bad timing for us tbf as the squad is fairly injury free at moment so not complaining. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Anyone know why only us/Wigan and PNE/Bristol are playing this week? An already congested fixture list made more so whilst the dingles and others have a rest.

Seems like all the other clubs are fitting there cancelled games in on the 8th/9th November. We couldn't do that as we play in the cup that midweek.

There is also w/c 24th October free too where the dingles are playing there rearranged game.

All odd because i thought clubs had to do it at the earliest opportunity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I feel like it is too early to say that we are "well led" but even if that is specifically praising Broughton/Tomasson, ultimately a club is led firstly by its owners so we will never be well led until that changes.

Regarding the expected push next season, we will be massively set back by the loss for free of Brereton before you consider others.

Maybe BBD will sign a new contract here, who knows. Maybe he might move in January to Spain or PL. who knows. 

Maybe Rovers have players in mind who we could sign to replace that maybe also on a free transfer like Ross Stewart from Sunderland, or plenty of players there who fit that profile. The owners have backed JDT and GB in this transfer window. Probably still have a couple of million left to spend in January transfer window

• Like 1

Our record at the DW since 07 stinks, the first three visits in 02,05,07 we won convincingly but since then the best we’ve got out of that place is shithousing a draw in 2011 with pedersens ghost pass from the corner, it’s all been draws and defeats, my first visit was in 07 but not the convincing 3-0 win in the 06/07 campaign but the emotional famous Santa Cruz 5-3 defeat, I’ve been to Wigan every game since 11/12 after that so with all 8 visits I’ve never seen us win nor will I tomorrow, had my ticket but called into night shifts so it means I can’t be there which is a shame cause I love doing all the local games but hey ho such is life. 

in terms of my confidence for the game I’m not confident at all, the record there is appalling, I would be confident in breaking the hoodoo if not for our win lose pattern along with the fact we are record breakers for the wrong reasons and with Wigan yet to win a home game we will no doubt gift them their first home victory as we are incapable of being able to form back to back performances let alone win back to back. Wigan are a poor team full of cloggers play our football and it’s a convincing win but if we do what we normally do and get sucked into their game and get nervous then it’s gonna be another hair ripping defeat 

Thought last season would be the season to beat them, a piss poor l1 Wigan against a rovers side on good form but cause of the complete disrespect and lack of interest in the cups by Mowbray.. despite him putting out a strong enough side to beat them with ease and we would have done if we had gone for it we still managed to gift them 3 utterly ridiculous goals, it was clear from the body language of what was supposed to be a Kate equaliser that we wasn’t interested, we may aswell have put a full reserve team out

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Seems like all the other clubs are fitting there cancelled games in on the 8th/9th November. We couldn't do that as we play in the cup that midweek.

There is also w/c 24th October free too where the dingles are playing there rearranged game.

All odd because i thought clubs had to do it at the earliest opportunity. 

I wonder if Sky had some influence here. It wasn't originally selected for live viewing but now it is on what would have been a blank week for Sky.

• Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

I wonder if Sky had some influence here. It wasn't originally selected for live viewing but now it is on what would have been a blank week for Sky.

Ah yeah good point, what Sky says usually goes in all fairness.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

One person said that about JDT, a bloody silly bugger, obviously, but that’s always been the way with message boards.

Think a few on here need to realise that a certain type of social media poster and the match going fan are two totally different breeds. And ergo need to stop using daft posts on the internet as a stick to beat what is actually a very patient fanbase at Rovers.

Don't forget JDT was in charge of a Swedish club, he's never been in the dug out in England before. The person who came up with the comment would probably be a silly bugger sitting in the dug out in Sweden, unless he speaks fluent Swedish.

Whatever we do, it needs to be as close to a continuation of the form we showed on Saturday as possible, if we aren't to be handed our humble pie once again by the pie eaters.

FFS, Wigan fecking Athletic.... A club with the pedigree of ..... shag all.

Time for the big boys on the pitch to demonstrate some cojones and to deliver a solid consistent and meaningful performance against a side lower than us in the division.

C'mon JDT. Sort it out!

COYB!

4 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

this season is to early,next year im`e expecting a real go at promotion

Have to disagree as this season's Championship is the weakest I can recall for some times.  It's almost laughable we are within 3 points of the top two 

The teams that fare well will be those whose managers understand the league, are well organised and are physically and mentally strong.  Forget trying to be too clever tactically - it aint feckin needed in this league. 

If JDT can get his head around this league pretty quickly, and the evidence is that he's not quite there yet, I would put our chances of top 6 at 90% and auto promotion at 80%.

If we are well placed come the WC break and we can bring 2 or 3 QUALITY players in early in Jan's window then I honestly think promotion is there for the taking. 

Stop fannying around at the back, play your strongest team, no square pegs in round holes and we will be in with a real shout. 

Betting on us breaking the bizarre wlwl........sequence at Wigan tomorrow night and at 2/1 fill yer boots.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

Let's hope we put in a Swansea/Blackpool type away performance rather than some of the tripe we've also served up on the road. With 2 aways on the bounce nows the time to perform. The 2 home games that follow are most certainly winnable so we could be sitting pretty at the right end of the table come November.

Wigan have done a bit better than I expected and picked up some decent results, they have however got a pasting of Burnley and Cardiff under their belts at home this season. Let's hope we can perform and put our recent dreadful record at their place well and truly behind us.

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Me too, I was v surprised when he was named in the first 11 at Palace, but he never looked back from there.

But that's my point, he was persisted with & flourished. Hopefully Szmodics is given the chance to do the same as he clearly has ability given his hero status at Peterboro (much like Dack was at Gillingham).

We need to win this tomorrow not just to build on Saturday's result, but to get over this mental block we seem to have against the more physical teams. Win one of these types of games and it leaves everybody feeling more confident.

No doubt Wigan are going to try every kind of shithouse, dirty tactic they can think of and we need to be able to overcome that. So far, almost every opponent of this type has had a comfortable afternoon/evening against us. We have been bullied in such games, the midfield has gone missing and we've struggled to put three passes together. It's the repetition of the same type of performance and manner of defeats which has caused frustration on here, from what I can see.

That needs to change, hopefully starting tomorrow. It has a big game feel about it, a big test, a test we need to pass sooner rather than later. Three points tomorrow could be a turning point for us, to help us push on.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Have to disagree as this season's Championship is the weakest I can recall for some times.  It's almost laughable we are within 3 points of the top two 

The teams that fare well will be those whose managers understand the league, are well organised and are physically and mentally strong.  Forget trying to be too clever tactically - it aint feckin needed in this league. 

If JDT can get his head around this league pretty quickly, and the evidence is that he's not quite there yet, I would put our chances of top 6 at 90% and auto promotion at 80%.

If we are well placed come the WC break and we can bring 2 or 3 QUALITY players in early in Jan's window then I honestly think promotion is there for the taking. 

Stop fannying around at the back, play your strongest team, no square pegs in round holes and we will be in with a real shout. 

Betting on us breaking the bizarre wlwl........sequence at Wigan tomorrow night and at 2/1 fill yer boots.

I’ll lay any bets that you like we won’t get auto promotion matched at Betfair. We might get top six because as you say, the league is weak. But across the course of the season Sheff United, Norwich and Burnley will be considerably ahead of the other teams. I could absolutely see a Lanclassico in the playoffs… it would be great fun at Wembley. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Our record at the DW since 07 stinks, the first three visits in 02,05,07 we won convincingly but since then the best we’ve got out of that place is shithousing a draw in 2011 with pedersens ghost pass from the corner, it’s all been draws and defeats, my first visit was in 07 but not the convincing 3-0 win in the 06/07 campaign but the emotional famous Santa Cruz 5-3 defeat, I’ve been to Wigan every game since 11/12 after that so with all 8 visits I’ve never seen us win nor will I tomorrow, had my ticket but called into night shifts so it means I can’t be there which is a shame cause I love doing all the local games but hey ho such is life. 

in terms of my confidence for the game I’m not confident at all, the record there is appalling, I would be confident in breaking the hoodoo if not for our win lose pattern along with the fact we are record breakers for the wrong reasons and with Wigan yet to win a home game we will no doubt gift them their first home victory as we are incapable of being able to form back to back performances let alone win back to back. Wigan are a poor team full of cloggers play our football and it’s a convincing win but if we do what we normally do and get sucked into their game and get nervous then it’s gonna be another hair ripping defeat 

Thought last season would be the season to beat them, a piss poor l1 Wigan against a rovers side on good form but cause of the complete disrespect and lack of interest in the cups by Mowbray.. despite him putting out a strong enough side to beat them with ease and we would have done if we had gone for it we still managed to gift them 3 utterly ridiculous goals, it was clear from the body language of what was supposed to be a Kate equaliser that we wasn’t interested, we may aswell have put a full reserve team out

It's on ESPN in the USA so I'll see the game. Expect another defeat, Rovers winning percentage when I watch is atrocious.  

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I’ll lay any bets that you like we won’t get auto promotion matched at Betfair. We might get top six because as you say, the league is weak. But across the course of the season Sheff United, Norwich and Burnley will be considerably ahead of the other teams. I could absolutely see a Lanclassico in the playoffs… it would be great fun at Wembley. 

that would be manically chaotic😆

33 minutes ago, bazza said:

Then don't watch it.

I'll assume that you aren't being serious. 

I don't get to watch many games, however, in 2022, they've tended to lose when I do. It has included Mowbray's final death spiral, and the random nature of JDT's current team performances.