BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (a) - 26/12/22

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Having been at the last Blackpool vs Rovers match and walked home afterwards, I can confirm there was a shitload of trouble both in and outside the ground. At half time, chairs and beers were being thrown over the wall en masse by Blackpool and Rovers fans (I believe 2 or 3 fans received bans as a result) and outside afterwards there were gangs of youths trying to kick off with each other, police riot vans and horses interceding. The most trouble I've personally witnessed at a game in a long time. I remarked to my friend at the time, if it's like this with us then what will it be like when Preston rock up.

Nothing new , with Rovers fans and trouble at Blackpool...

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Having a large fan base in a poorly-contested catchment area isn't loyalty, and it isn't impressive either.

Rubbish with respect Bruce. 

Sunderland are a big club in waiting with massive support, the catchment area outside of the Sunderland is full of sheep, cows and Mags, the local support from a deprived area of the country is impressive. 

Sunderland 1 Rovers 1 

Edited by Gav

13 minutes ago, Gav said:

Rubbish with respect Bruce. 

Sunderland are a big club in waiting with massive support, the catchment area outside of the Sunderland is full of sheep, cows and Mags, the local support from a deprived area of the country is impressive. 

Sunderland 1 Rovers 1 

Bollocks, with respect Gav. The wider city of Sunderland has a population double the size of Blackburn with Darwen. When you factor in the uncontested further catchment area as well, why is anybody impressed they get double our attendances?

And almost the entire north is a deprived area of the country. Since we are in one ourselves, it's redundant to even point out that theirs is deprived too.

I also don't really give a fuck about the size of a fan base when considering if a club is big or not. It accounts for about 10-20% of that consideration as far as I'm concerned. Not that I'm having that argument again.

• Like 3

They have vast support across County Durham and Tyne and Wear. ‘An area full of sheep’ that happens to have a population of 2 million and just 2 league clubs.

Compare and contrast that to what we are up against in a forty mile radius. They are bloody lucky when it comes to geography.

• Like 4

Just now, Mattyblue said:

They have vast support across County Durham and Tyne and Wear. ‘An area full of sheep’ that happens to have a population of 2 million and just 2 league clubs.

Compare and contrast that to what we are up against in a forty mile radius. They are bloody lucky when it comes to geography.

They’re only geography-lucky in footballing terms. In every other way… give me Blackburn/Lancashire. 

• Like 3

Well with only Sunderland and Watford as new grounds left this season I’m gutted I can’t get up to Sunderland tomorrow after arranging everything to do so due to the change in time. As annoying as it is am sure those who can’t go will be happy it’s on tv, as will I now I can’t make it. 

Three points for Xmas please

COYB 💙🤍💪

14 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'm sure I remember (or misremember) that the ammonia chap was called Birdie? I'm guessing it's not the same one who appeared in the club's ST promos?!

No it isn't. I am not even sure it was the other Birdie (who is now dead). Mind you he was enough of a maniac to do something like that.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

On 25/12/2022 at 02:17, JohnD said:

Ammonia 😱

It was shocking both inside the ground on the Spion Kop  where the incident happened and  outside the ground afterwards.

Think about half a dozen, including one policeman, were detained in hospital overnight.

Pretty certain it occured round about the time of Martin Luther King's assassination back in 1968.

For the record, Rovers won the game 1-0.

On 25/12/2022 at 03:00, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'm sure I remember (or misremember) that the ammonia chap was called Birdie? I'm guessing it's not the same one who appeared in the club's ST promos?!

Don't recall Stuart Baird (the original and real 'Birdy') having any involvement in the incident.  This guy was as hard as nails and sorted out Millwall's F Troop behind the Darwen End with some of his mates.  Think today's Rovers' delinquents would have run a mile if fronted by him.

As far today, fancy Rovers strongly and gone for the win at 12/5 - fill yer Christmas boots! Fun bet at 33/1 is a 3-1 score.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1