Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 29/12/22

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team 

Kaminski

JRC  Hyam  Ayala  Pickering

Buckley Garrett Morton

Hedges  Gallagher  BBD

We desperately need a couple of centre mids.

Those 3 are essentially the same player. Slow, passive, take an age on the ball etc.

None of them are driving forward with the ball.

Garrett likes a crunching tackle but that's about the only difference between them.

• Like 5

Kaminski

Harlock        Ayala           Hyam     Pickering

JRC           Buckley      A. Wharton   Hedges 

Dack

Brereton

Subs: Phillips, S. Wharton, Edun, Garrett, Travis, Gallagher, Burns

Sadly, not able to get Dack in for that formation. 

Back 5 picks itself with current form/injuries. Not convinced JRC will keep up his form but he's done well in the last 2 games, so retains his place and there is no alternative.

Midfield 3:

Hedges on the right, he's mobile, hard working and has good technique. Should be able to link well with the RB and RW and able to support the attack and defence as he can cover a lot of ground.

Travis back in the middle. Man of the moment for all the wrong reasons but he'll graft and get a tackle in. Defensive midfielder so only job is to win the ball back and pass it to Wharton/Hedges. No playing out from the back to isolate him on the edge of his own box.

A. Wharton on the left. Not as mobile as Hedges but has obvious talent. Good technique which, like Hedges, should allow him to link well with the LB and LW. Works hard so can support attack and defence but lacks pace but that's a problem throughout the whole squad.

Attack: 

Gallagher through the middle. Needs to use his physical attributes to hold off defenders better, hold up the ball and drop in slightly to open up the space for the wingers.

BBD on the left, same as usual. Link up with Wharton will hopefully see him less isolated and if Gallagher pulls the defenders about a bit, should leave gaps for BBD to exploit.

Markanday on the RW, not as convinced about this lad as others seem to be but he has a bit of pace and trickery to try and trouble defenders. Same as BBD, try to exploit the gaps created by Gallagher.

Front 3 and midfield 3 to press the opposition when they have the ball.

1672158183871.png

• Like 2

Rovers need to stay calm and not panic, we have lost to Forest in the league cup and an injury time winner in the Championship to Sunderland.Lets put it right against Boro and Cardiff at home and get some pride back at Ewood. By the way i have had a wonderful Christmas in bed with laryngitis lost my voice for days, hopefully i will be back in full voice at Ewood Thursday cheering Rovers to a 3-0 win.

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Could be embarrassing - M'boro by 3 or 4 goals to 1

This gives me cause for optimism; whenever I notice you write something like this, we win comfortably.

It's the Championship, as much as we can look at stats,, form, xG and all of that gubbins, these games are as variable and unpredictable as they come.

We're at home and have been very strong under JDT at Ewood, so hoping for a continuation of that form. Couldn't care less how well we play as long as we leave with the 3 points. Another Darragh OG would be nice to get us motoring...

Edited by Andy
  • Like 2

Doesn't matter which team plays, it's gonna take 3 windows before we've any chance of doing anything. 

Even though we're 3rd and have as much chance of a play off place as at least 10 more teams, the white flag has been hoisted for this season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, toogs said:

No Dack after being one of our better players v Sunderland and the inclusion of Gallagher who stunk the place out. 

Morton’s defensive midfield play was also lamentable. He needs resting. That’s if JDT is allowed to rest him. 

i don't think Dack was that good and none of the front 4 was particularly good. Gallagher is striker where Dack isn't. I would like us to control the midfield battle and Garrett will make tackles and close down which is what I want him to do. 

I rate Morton. I also don't get this notion that we can't rest him either of loan terms 

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Can only see one outcome.

Carrick has shown he's got what it takes both in his few matches as United's caretaker and since going to M'boro.

Knows the English game and has a football intelligence.

Finished with Rovers.  If our owners, executive management,  manager and players don't care or bother, and embarrassing capitulations to Burnley and PNE suggest to me they don't, then why the feck should I.

Could be embarrassing - M'boro by 3 or 4 goals to 1

Thanks Mercer for that. cheer me right up now. Another opposition manager you big up again. Rovers will win now, 

5 hours ago, davulsukur said:

We desperately need a couple of centre mids.

Those 3 are essentially the same player. Slow, passive, take an age on the ball etc.

None of them are driving forward with the ball.

Garrett likes a crunching tackle but that's about the only difference between them.

I like Morton in our midfield and with Buckley is a pair how they played against Norwich cos that how they should play every game, pressing, closing down, very clever passing. That is how our midfield need to play 

Even Sunderland destroyed our powder puff midfield and just ran through it.

Pressing? ..... they couldn't press trousers with a flat iron.

Passing? Morton is short sideways or backwards. Buckley does try forwards but his radar is still wonky.

That's how our midfield should play? Sweet Jesus help us please.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

Something odd going on with team selections - I had thought that the line-up against the Mackems was quite attack-oriented, but we only ended up attacking ourselves.

There is something definitely amiss with young George Hirst, and no way should he feature anywhere near the first team again. Perhaps we are short of a few players? Perhaps there are strict rules for plodding loanees? Perhaps someone else is doing the teamsheet, but it just doesn't stack up to have a dolloper like that as a choice of 'potential game-changer' from the bench, except of course if the plan is to throw games (and the fans) under a bus.

On to Thursday. Football is all about confidence and consistency. Something Boro unfortunately appear to have in spades at the moment. We will be fortunate on current form alone to emerge with anything other than turkey treatment (a proper basting). Here's hoping we come out smelling of Roses, rather than giblets.

Against Sunderland Hirst was onfield for 20 minutes in which time he never, even once, actually kicked the ball with his foot.

Not one single solitary time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks Mercer for that. cheer me right up now. Another opposition manager you big up again. Rovers will win now, 

Shame because seemingly Carrick was apparently under serious consideration and wanted the job.

Compare his impact at Middlesbrough in such a short space of time with the mess which is now Rovers.  We'll be lucky to keep out of bottom six - opponents have us sussed and we've no answers.

• Like 3

Two of the standout moments on Boxing Day to me were two big diagonal passes by Buckley and Morton which got our side players in behind. But that was it, two in the entire game. I saw a half time statistic which had is at something like 126 successful passes of which 90 odd were in our own half. And although it's not measured I'll wager the majority were within a range of under the yards. There needs to be some variation on the safe football Tomasson has us playing. Far too much is one dimensional and the cold reality is that this brand of football won't increase any players value which throws his latest notion about increasing players worth into disarray.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Two of the standout moments on Boxing Day to me were two big diagonal passes by Buckley and Morton which got our side players in behind. But that was it, two in the entire game. I saw a half time statistic which had is at something like 126 successful passes of which 90 odd were in our own half. And although it's not measured I'll wager the majority were within a range of under the yards. There needs to be some variation on the safe football Tomasson has us playing. Far too much is one dimensional and the cold reality is that this brand of football won't increase any players value which throws his latest notion about increasing players worth into disarray.

There was something flashed up that had us 2nd in the league for passes in our own half but 21st (or there abouts) for passes in the opposition half all season.

’style of play’ - yawn

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, superniko said:

There was something flashed up that had us 2nd in the league for passes in our own half but 21st (or there abouts) for passes in the opposition half all season.

’style of play’ - yawn

The manager was on about progressive passing, going forward to have shots and goal chances. That is not happening.

We have his Dutch Disease full blown and he appears to have no cure.

Sooner or later the stats will show in our league position.

Performance over results is his mantra. Deluded gobbledegook.

• Like 4

Seem people haven't learn from Norwich game where people were expecting to lose and take a hammering but its no surprised with some people on here. We are 3rd in the league and people's negativity is baffling. 

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Shame because seemingly Carrick was apparently under serious consideration and wanted the job.

Compare his impact at Middlesbrough in such a short space of time with the mess which is now Rovers.  We'll be lucky to keep out of bottom six - opponents have us sussed and we've no answers.

Was Carrick even in for Rovers job? I haven't read or seen anything that says Carrick was in for the job. 

Rovers are 3rd in the league and you think we are mess. I give up with people attitude like this.  

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Seem people haven't learn from Norwich game where people were expecting to lose and take a hammering but its no surprised with some people on here. We are 3rd in the league and people's negativity is baffling. 

Was Carrick even in for Rovers job? I haven't read or seen anything that says Carrick was in for the job. 

Rovers are 3rd in the league and you think we are mess. I give up with people attitude like this.  

It’s because we’re abysmal to watch. My dad fell asleep watching us against Sunderland. 

I have a season ticket which is probably going to stay in the draw tomorrow, as things stand. I’d rather watch the borefest in the warm. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

3rd in the league in December means nothing. You have to look at the full picture unless you’re happy to kid yourself.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
19 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The manager was on about progressive passing, going forward to have shots and goal chances. That is not happening.

We have his Dutch Disease full blown and he appears to have no cure.

Sooner or later the stats will show in our league position.

Performance over results is his mantra. Deluded gobbledegook.

Performance over results, yet they’re both shite at the minute….

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You seen any of the matches or results recently? We are third for now, but the season finishes in May…

• Like 1

From the games I have seen we are never sure what kind of team is going to turn up and considering that we have lost so many games this inconsistency is not going to reassure the fans despite beating Norwich the other week.

Most teams in this league are beatable if we perform but there have been very few games where we have won convincingly. Boro will be one of those games where maybe we can nick a goal and hopefully not concede. 

• Like 1

We barely beat Boro when they were awful, and it certainly looks like our one-dimensional, hyper-negative football has been sussed out.

Possibly one of those where we luck out, but a pasting and the pressure cranking up on JDT is more likely.

In any case, I'll keep an eye on the score but I'm done spending money just to watch us make no effort to actually try to do anything. The whole JDT style of football that was promised is a complete myth - even Big Sam was more positive.

• Like 1

Wrong thread but point stilll stands

Fine lines in  sunderland game the stupid penalty given away was when the real damage was done as at that point i really thought we'd grab another before half time. 

They were poor and looked there for the taking but that was their lifeline and their late subs showed intent to win the game. 

Contrast our subs which had no plan behind them at all seemingly other than get some off and others on for the sake of it, neither trying to win it nor see it out.  

Pre planned subs probably.

Why not try something radical like taking off Gally and putting BBD in his position, Dack on the left and Markanday on the right. No upset to the formation but just trying something a bit different and giving the option off balls into the channels still whilst defending unexpected late pressure ?

Is it beyond the bench full of coaches paid ten of thousands combined to come up with something other than pointless straight swaps ?    Then again though our defence would actually have to be told to clear their lines into the space Sunderland where leaving on the wings wouldn't they.  

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3