BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Darragh Lenihan

Really hope he signs as he might have his flaws but chances of this setup replacing him with better is zero point zero.

As a player i think it's fair to say he's reached his limits here but coming up to peak years hopefully he'll settle down a bit. Reminds me a bit of a lower level Andy Todd and god knows we need a few hard men at present.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

The one player that should not be offered a new deal, imo. He has been a liability in our defence for years. Yet due to the crap way in which we are run, we have never looked to bring in an upgrade.

I've said it before on here and I stand by it. As long as Lenihan remains a mainstay in our defence we will continue to concede soft goals. He's rash,  he doesn't instill confidence back there and isn't a proper centre back at the end of the day. We've been making do with him for years, as we have had so many other problem areas in our squad.

Just look at all of the points we have thrown away from winning positions over the last few years. The shoddy defending, the leads lost, the amount of times we've said we need to sort the defence out, we need a proper centre back etc. There's been one constant feature among our backline throughout all of that, who rarely gets mentioned.

It's not all down to Mulgrew, Williams, the young lads etc. Tosin came in and played well, but our defence was still crap overall. Harwood-Bellis was impressive during his time here, yet the defence was still crap overall. Ayala has come in and played well, yet we still can't keep clean sheets and still have a tendency to capitulate. It's time we addressed the issue.

We won't though, because there is no appetite at the club to really kick on. Instead, we find ourselves in a crap situation whereby he has become one of our main defenders and we have to offer him a new deal to stop him leaving on a free.

Replace Lenihan with a Cooper, Flint, Bauer or a Harwood-Bellis and we would see a big improvement, imo.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

The one player that should not be offered a new deal, imo. He has been a liability in our defence for years. Yet due to the crap way in which we are run, we have never looked to bring in an upgrade.

I'm far from a fan of Lenihan - but we're better when he's in the team than when he's not.

Since being back at this level (2018/19 season onwards):

With Lenihan:
W 48 (37.5%); D 35 (27.34%); L 45 (35.16%)

Without Lenihan:
W 6 (21.43%); D 6 (21.43%); L 16 (57.14%)

I personally think he's a mistake waiting to happen and has awful distribution - but the stats do show we really struggle when he's unavailable.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm far from a fan of Lenihan - but we're better when he's in the team than when he's not.

With Lenihan:

Without Lenihan:

I personally think he's a mistake waiting to happen and has awful distribution - but the stats do show we really struggle when he's unavailable.

Don't read the stats.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Thats probably because we've never really brought in any experienced central defenders, so when he is missing we really are struggling at the back. The stats show it's a position where you can't really rely on unproven youth or playing people out of position.

16 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Rothwell and Brereton are the only 2 that are really worth new improved long term contracts, the rest I'd just offer them the same as what they're currently recieving, like it or lump it. 

Nyambe would be the biggest miss imo.

If Wharton comes back like he did pre injury then Lenihan might not be a critical miss in pure footballing terms but you don't really want any of these players who should potentially have been very valuable to the Club walking out for nothing due to the negligence of management and Mowbray's misguided notion that he didn't want to upset the rest of the squad.

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

With Lenihan:

Without Lenihan:

I'm hoping if he plays alongside DA regularly he'll learn, I'm hoping but not confident.

• 4 months later...

Wow, there were some really harsh comments in this thread not so long ago! I'm not saying that just with hindsight either. He's not a perfect player but I've never questioned he is one we should keep at the club. We have always been much poorer when he is unavailable.

Form of his life right now though for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lraC said:

What happened to the poster, who started this thread? I didn’t always see eye to eye, but as a regular and interesting poster, I did enjoy some of his comments. Is he okay?

Bigdog has a poor disciplinary record, he’s probably banned 😉

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

… and Stuart?

I also wondered where Stuart had gone?

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Bigdog has a poor disciplinary record, he’s probably banned 😉

I also wondered where Stuart had gone?

I remember him joining the site and telling the board Owen Coyle wasn't given a fair chance - He almost never made it past day 1 😆

• Like 1