BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Our game against PNE was our 27th game of the season and that was just his 12th appearance of the season. Not sure how you can say he was our best player when even pre injury he missed over 55% of matches.

Aye, probably should have said last season and   half of this one, think he’s improved considerably since a couple of years ago, when he put in some lacklustre performances, but no one can complain about his performances last couple of years.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why do we need one when we are playing local teams in friendlies? 

and we have the facilities at Brockhall we have?

Why do other clubs need them? I'm not a coach so I don't know but they must feel it is worth the effort.

Our pre season preparations usually see us playing catch up once the season kicks off (no opening day wins in a decade). So i think we need to approach this carefully. 

Edited by JHRover

Just now, JHRover said:

Why do other clubs need them? I'm not a coach so I don't know but they must feel it is worth the effort.

Our pre season preparations usually see us playing catch up once the season kicks off (no opening day wins in a decade). So i think we need to approach this carefully. 

It's to build team cohesion and take them away from home comforts

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

You know Chaddy it's a wonder why all these clubs have been doing them for all these years despite some (most?) of them having the facilities themselves. Either blind tradition or something useful about going away for a time? 

Am fairly certain I've not heard you or anyone else criticise these as a waste of money prior to Rovers not doing one either... 

I have said the same thing in the past. Brockhall has accommodation and facilities which should be the equal of any training facility in Europe. For me it's always been another unnecessary cost but it always seemed to be in vogue with what other clubs were doing.

• Like 1

Saw a clip featuring Stephen Warnock and Wayne Bridge on pre season training camps and the advantages of them. It focuses on a pre season with Sam Allardyce and a night where he leaves his credit card behind the bar for all the players.

Said the players would run through brick walls for him after that!!

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 1

Just now, LDRover said:

Saw a clip featuring Stephen Warnock and Wayne Bridge on pre season training camps and the advantages of them. It focuses on a pre season with Sam Allardyce and a night where he leaves his credit card behind the bar for all the players.

Saw that. Great story. Not sure the same level of night out would happen now though... 

Especially after what happened in Aberdeen with those players there.

2 minutes ago, LDRover said:

The beauties of man management. That's why blokes like Roy Keane will never make good managers. They might know the game but they don't know people.

We could do with a few Stephen Warnock's right now that's for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The beauties of man management. That's why blokes like Roy Keane will never make good managers. They might know the game but they don't know people.

We could do with a few Stephen Warnock's right now that's for sure.

He's probably still better than either Bell or Williams.

I think Roy Keane knows people, he just doesn't want to play games. He believes every player should approach the game with the same dedication and intensity that he did. Were he here, in charge ,it wouldn't be one hairdryer he'd be throwing, he'd have bought a job lot. 'Course players would run through concrete to get away from him.

• Like 1

Just now, Richard Oakley said:

He's probably still better than either Bell or Williams.

I think Roy Keane knows people, he just doesn't want to play games. He believes every player should approach the game with the same dedication and intensity that he did.

Which is why he’s sitting in the Sky studio.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Why would players drive through walls because a manager paid for their drinks? Blimey, poor beggars not earning enough to be able to pay their own drinks bills? 

Because he didn't have to. It showed that he cared for them as people and not just as employees.  Gestures, even small ones, can have a large effect on morale

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Richard Oakley said:

He never looks very happy doing so.

Before Mowbray came here, he had a reputation as a ruthless disciplinarian.

Has he ever looked happy?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Before Mowbray came here, he had the reputation as a ruthless disciplinarian.

I heard a story earlier in the season that he went from being all matey with the players to being quite disciplined and the players didn't like it. Stories about suddenly announcing an extra training session in the afternoon after the morning session. I know you're all thinking that an extra training session shouldn't be an issue for players on the wages they are on, but they still have families, childcare, school collections to consider etc.

Part of the pre season is the craic and bonding for team spirit plus maybe initiating the odd new signings and those stepping up.  They go away somewhere to graft during the day and relax at night in a neutral setting before spending most of their time on their training grounds concentrating on the job.

Can fully understand the use of camps in other countries and it shouldn't be such a big deal to go off somewhere a bit closer like Scotland. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I heard a story earlier in the season that he went from being all matey with the players to being quite disciplined and the players didn't like it. Stories about suddenly announcing an extra training session in the afternoon after the morning session. I know you're all thinking that an extra training session shouldn't be an issue for players on the wages they are on, but they still have families, childcare, school collections to consider etc.

Souness did something along those lines i remember players complaining he'd altered parking spaces at the training ground. Also he brought out a little black book of new do's and don'ts that went down badly.

This was when he clearly lost his grip on things so it's not usually a good sign if your trying it with players you've let rule the roost for a few years.

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Souness did something along those lines i remember players complaining he'd altered parking spaces at the training ground. Also he brought out a little black book of new do's and don'ts that went down badly.

This was when he clearly lost his grip on things so it's not usually a good sign if your trying it with players you've let rule the roost for a few years.

There was a story from Jeff Winter once about how he had booked Matt Jansen for either dissent or kicking the ball away. One of them would result in a fine under Souness, so Matt asked Jeff if he could change the reason for the booking to the other reason which didn't incur a fine (can't remember which way round it was). Jeff said that if Matt could get him a signed ball/shirt to auction for charity, he would change the reason. After the game Winter was in the referee's room with the assessor and Matt came running in with a signed shirt/ball and said 'Cheers for that Jeff' ?

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

Wow our transfer windows are depressing!!  

Yep, We usually seem to have the utmost trouble getting people in at the best of times and obviously these are exceptional circumstances.

This one is probably right up Mowbray's street though, with the possible exception of the addition of the cheapest keeper possible he won't be under the usual sort of pressure to disrupt his cosy little group.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Yep, We usually seem to have the utmost trouble getting people in at the best of times and obviously these are exceptional circumstances.

This one is probably right up Mowbray's street though, with the possible addition of the cheapest keeper possible he won't be under the usual sort of pressure to disrupt his cosy little group.

Of course the player/s will come from the north east