BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Well that's 3 then! But what about Josh King and Shane Duffy?

Players sold while Bowyer was manager went for £16M (including £nil for King) and we paid out a total of £2M to bring players in!

In his 2 full seasons as manager we finished 8th and 9th. Needless to say Mowbray has never achieved this.

Some of our current players have been found insufficient for Championship level too haven't they despite costing the millions Bowyer never had?

We were a better team under Bowyer.

Whether it was him or his dad, we brought in talented players.

Like Mowbray he brought in players that didn't fit the system we wanted to employ simply because they were available, but at least we sold them for a profit.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ChickenBolty said:

The thought of losing somebody of Nyambe's quality on a free is frightening. On his day he's arguably our best asset.

We seriously need to be working hard on getting our key players to sign new deals, ideally before the season starts. 

Isn't Dack's deal up at the end of next season too? 

Agreed. I'd be doing improved deals for Travis and Armstrong too.

Mowbray is thinking about it and telling the owners it is important. He might, if lucky, get permission to offer them a deal before 2022.

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Agreed. I'd be doing improved deals for Travis and Armstrong too.

Mowbray is thinking about it and telling the owners it is important. He might, if lucky, get permission to offer them a deal before 2022.

I agree it's very important to tie your talent up. But all of that comes with improved wages, signing on fees, agent fees. Which makes it harder to get those 5 or 6 players and may result in not getting them all, or getting worse ones. It's all a balancing act on a limited budget.

Edited by bluebruce

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

both. 

Local journalists and people on here have said we have bids in for players but no names. 

Did anyone knew about the Kaminski bid before it was confirmed from a source in Belgium

Well it can't be under wraps and known can it? Under wraps means not known and people don;t have the information, known means people, well know and have that information. They either have it or they don't. Either its accessible or it isn't. It can't be both. 

As for transfers there's a lot of work needed unless we want to rely on our youngsters which seems very risky imo. Chapman and Warton are very unproven at this level. We've lost a ton of players of varying quality and we are badly short on numbers. Some positions aren't filled, some positions are an injury away from not being covered. Sure, there's time to rectify it, but it doesn't fill you with confidence. An injury to any one of our best players leaves us in a lot of trouble. 

How we are in this situation after three year's of building a team is beyond me. The lack of medium term planning is appalling.   

• Like 3

I'm bracing myself for not getting any more players in, and a season of wondering if we'll get dragged into the relegation battle. Even Coventry City have been more decisive in their transfer dealings, and have sought to improve their squad. So far we've been sitting around doing nothing or so it seems. For all we fans know, Venky's, Waggott and Mowbray have only just sorted out a budget and are vaguely considering targets.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What is the point of bringing in players to " compete " for a place with an existing players who are already regular players. Just bring in a better player and sell the existing player. The " competing " way just leaves you with two average players.

This is probably my biggest bug bear with Tony . You should always try and bring better in and then drop players down the pecking order . It raises the standard of the team and the individuals competing for places 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JHRover said:

the season starts next weekend. By mid October we could be stuck towards the bottom or competing at the top.

Aren't you fed up with starting every season slowly and poorly.

For once in a decade it would be nice to have our squad ready and raring to go on game one.

Never happens and we will be scrambling around in the last couple of days for essential additions.

I do understand what you’re saying and in an ideal world “a squad ready and raring to go” would be great but the problem for the last few years is that footballers are very much guided by their agents and can afford to bide their time until the best deal appears. 
It must be very frustrating for club managers to get their preferred targets in this financial climate. We’re not halfway through this window and whilst appreciating the start of the season is 9 days away there is still time for deals to be struck. The window normally shuts after the season has started anyway.

Last season Stoke were lauded on here because they’d made a lot of preseason signings but they struggled.

It’s about getting the right targets in and I’m pretty sure Mowbray knows the personnel he would like but can he get them?

I’m consoling myself with the old adage that the season is a marathon and not a sprint. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

I do understand what you’re saying and in an ideal world “a squad ready and raring to go” would be great but the problem for the last few years is that footballers are very much guided by their agents and can afford to bide their time until the best deal appears. 
It must be very frustrating for club managers to get their preferred targets in this financial climate. We’re not halfway through this window and whilst appreciating the start of the season is 9 days away there is still time for deals to be struck. The window normally shuts after the season has started anyway.

Last season Stoke were lauded on here because they’d made a lot of preseason signings but they struggled.

It’s about getting the right targets in and I’m pretty sure Mowbray knows the personnel he would like but can he get them?

I’m consoling myself with the old adage that the season is a marathon and not a sprint. 

Over a year ago,Mowbray said we needed 2 goal keepers, a centre back and left back. We had a year to select our targets. Had we acted decisively, we could have had Marshall, Robinson and Kipre off Wigan in the first week of the transfer window.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Prelude said:

Pigeons? The Money does not stretch that far! Venkys use Chickens and there longest recorded flight is 300 metres so dont even reach Darwin! Like most of our transfer activity this summer we fall well short! 

If I had a chicken that could reach Darwin, I'd be pretty chuffed. ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Over a year ago,Mowbray said we needed 2 goal keepers, a centre back and left back. We had a year to select our targets. Had we acted decisively, we could have had Marshall, Robinson and Kipre off Wigan in the first week of the transfer window.

Marshall, Robinson and Kipre? I'll have what you've been smoking.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Yeah, because bidding for them in the first week of the transfer window would’ve prevented them from wanting £30k a week ??

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

To be fair, we didn't know Wigan were going to go into Administration.

But it's no excuse, we should have had our targets lined up and sorted as soon as. Certainly for critical positions like Keeper, centre back and left back

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

I don't think the agents for those players would have been doing their job properly if they had signed for us when more lucrative offers were coming.

• Like 2

Not them specific players but the fact that we are lagging behind many and scrambling around under these owners is no surprise. Lets not pretend that its unavoidable and one of those things. Its the same every year.

Plenty of re writing history. Mowbray has to wait until a couple of weeks until a season ends and then flies to India for a week, thats how they work, one of those things. He moans in the press about a lack of clarity, many make out that he probably does know his budget but is just waiting on technicalities. And to Mowbray himself, he fails to fix our defence, he has done the same at other clubs, yet there seems to be quite a lot of faith that this will be the summer when it is sorted. 9 days before the season and not one defender had come through the door, just plenty of gossip, near misses and hard luck stories.

• Like 3