BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

Im fully aware of SA bringing the sports science here but thanks for reminding me of my 40th birthday many years ago. My point is that these guys (kids in their 20s) are using stats to defend one player but not to attack another. How is it that difficult to understand? Buckley is great but AA sucks - ok.

I understand and they should use the data both ways.

To be honest all the data shows we do not have the players to play a possession based game but do have the players to play a highly direct, quick passing counter attacking side.

So no matter what the issues for the season have always been Mowbray playing the wrong system and formation to match the players he has at his disposal.

We can argue about data all the time but until a new manager is appointed who understands how to play to get the best out of the players at his disposal its a pointless exercise.

Any player who makes 50 five yard accurate passes and runs 15km in a match will have brilliant stats. Anyone who sits in midfield and sprays 5 thirty yard killer passes, of which two lead to goals won’t. Which player would most people want in their team?

Edited by Giant
  • Like 2

With respect you haven't read the article and Steve Walsh, seen as one of the greatest recruiters in football right now, is adamant of the use of data and scouting systems in football.

The game existed before data because nobody used data. If nobody uses it then everybody is on an equal playing field. If 10 teams are using data analysis and 10 teams aren't I would argue the latter would be at a disadvantage.

Again, I must point out that in the example of statistics you are on about, neither Joe nor Andy claimed that this shown Armstrong to be poor and Bell to be a world beater. It is a collection of statistics that show whether we win or lose if an individual player is on the pitch. That is all. I really do not see the beef.

is this the same steve walsh who scouted a load of useless,expensive players for everton,then got the sack!!!

27 minutes ago, phili said:

It doesn't show that at all though. it was a table to show that buckley had started more games that we had won than started more games we lost. That is all.

Also we were under Hugh's and Big Sam pioneers of the use of the data systems we are now trying to catch up with before the system was dismantled after Venky's took over and implemented an agency lead approach.. Samba being an example of a demo Hugh's had of the system in the first few weeks he was here and then invited for a trial to see if the predictions of the stats matched with reality.

As its a transfer thread and with most clubs now using these systems extensively especially with getting to games for the last 18 months, how do you think most clubs will be doing transfer business this year? Which would you prefer we go down the data approach or ring up our friendly agent and ask him to bring in 5 new player for us?

Wasn't the samba transfer a bit of a fluke. 

His agent was supposed to send Emile Mpenza for a trial they sent Samba instead so we stuck him with the reserves to train. Then they quickly realised he had serious talent.

46 minutes ago, Giant said:

Any player who makes 50 five yard accurate passes and runs 15km in a match will have brilliant stats. Anyone who sits in midfield and sprays 5 thirty yard killer passes, of which two lead to goals won’t. Which player would most people want in their team?

That's just not true though..

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Buckley is great but AA sucks - ok.

You're just making things up. Why argue with things that nobody claims, says or thinks? Finding this really odd.

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You're just making things up. Why argue with things that nobody claims, says or thinks? Finding this really odd.

Can I suggest you start using our ignore feature? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Punters still arguing about how important Data is and a rehashed Harry Picketing story for the 7th time. Incredibly boring right now.
When do the signings start again??

Probably when a free agent is facing unemployment and has no other choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Punters still arguing about how important Data is and a rehashed Harry Picketing story for the 7th time. Incredibly boring right now.
When do the signings start again??

When Boro phone Tony.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, JoeH said:

That's just not true though..

Any chance you could get a stat analysis of Jason Lowe, Joe? I have a feeling that it would suggest a solid signing based on his stats (which I'm sure we can agree he isn't). However, I'd be interested to know.

• Like 3

Says it all about what a joke of a club we have become that the highlights of the summer are potential 'windfalls' we get from David Raya reaching the PL with Brentford and Tom Cairney transferring to Sheffield United.

Two players who have gone on to much better things whilst this club has gone nowhere. Two players we offloaded for relative pittances who within 12 months of leaving were worth vast amounts more.

You would hope somewhere along the corridors of power at Ewood/Venky HQ someone would be asking why these players have gone on to better things and why we sold them for the small amounts we did. Yet I doubt it and suspect brownie points will be had for the few hundred grand that might come in for them now rather than the millions we could have had if we'd have kept them.

• Like 3

This has been a growing concern for me.

You have got to worry about  the level of know-how in the Rovers "boardroom"? 

If you are going to sell off good assets for a pittance, you would expect a sizeable sell -on clause. 10% is pathetic for Cairney, given the paltry fee. I don't know off hand, but I seem to remember thinking the sell-on percentage was low for Raya too. 

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Says it all about what a joke of a club we have become that the highlights of the summer are potential 'windfalls' we get from David Raya reaching the PL with Brentford and Tom Cairney transferring to Sheffield United.

Two players who have gone on to much better things whilst this club has gone nowhere. Two players we offloaded for relative pittances who within 12 months of leaving were worth vast amounts more.

You would hope somewhere along the corridors of power at Ewood/Venky HQ someone would be asking why these players have gone on to better things and why we sold them for the small amounts we did. Yet I doubt it and suspect brownie points will be had for the few hundred grand that might come in for them now rather than the millions we could have had if we'd have kept them.

We shouldn't have sold either player for what we sold them for, we had our trousers pulled down, but the Brentford promotion is reputed to have earned us an extra 2 million, not a 'few hundred grand'.

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

Buckley was OK, thats it. People using stats to show he was more than ok, when said stats show our better players as NOT ok, give it a rest.

I'm pretty sure we have all given it a rest and moved on, please don't reinitiate it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LDRover said:

Any chance you could get a stat analysis of Jason Lowe, Joe? I have a feeling that it would suggest a solid signing based on his stats

No it wouldn't.